Puppy's first night - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2018, 12:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy's first night

Hey all!

I just picked up my basset puppy yesterday from the breeder. I love him so much!! I feel really bad for him bc he is really missing his litter-mates and momma. He cries all the time except when he is sleeping or in contact with me. Last night he slept in a crate and about every 3 hours he would get up and cry uncontrollably for about 30-45 minutes. I got up and took him out of the crate to go pee but he didn't go (there was a pee pad in the crate with him and he went on that... as suggested by the breeder.) I ended up cuddling him for about 15 minutes and put him back in the crate.

I also had meditation music playing to try an sooth him and a blanket from the breeder with his momma's smells on it.

I was reading about anxiety wraps and that sort of thing but I don't know if that will really help. Any suggestions to help him not be so upset?

Thanks!! : )
May Boris Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by May Boris Bella View Post
Hey all!

I just picked up my basset puppy yesterday from the breeder. I love him so much!! I feel really bad for him bc he is really missing his litter-mates and momma. He cries all the time except when he is sleeping or in contact with me. Last night he slept in a crate and about every 3 hours he would get up and cry uncontrollably for about 30-45 minutes. I got up and took him out of the crate to go pee but he didn't go (there was a pee pad in the crate with him and he went on that... as suggested by the breeder.) I ended up cuddling him for about 15 minutes and put him back in the crate.

I also had meditation music playing to try an sooth him and a blanket from the breeder with his momma's smells on it.

I was reading about anxiety wraps and that sort of thing but I don't know if that will really help. Any suggestions to help him not be so upset?

Thanks!! : )

Is the crate nearby? If not, consider bringing it into or near your bedroom so he can easily hear you.

You should also make sure having him out to pee is the last thing you do before bedtime and the first thing you do when you get up.

Pics please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Is the crate nearby? If not, consider bringing it into or near your bedroom so he can easily hear you.

You should also make sure having him out to pee is the last thing you do before bedtime and the first thing you do when you get up.

Pics please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. The crate is at the base of the bed. I did bring him out before going to be but tonight I will make sure it is the last thing I do.
Attached Thumbnails
Puppy's first night-img_4016.jpg  
May Boris Bella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

This too shall pass!!! Having the crate alongside your bed, at least for a while, is pretty much essential with a new puppy. And especially a Basset who absolutely HATE being alone. His mum should have been off the litter, not sleeping with them by the time they are ready to go to their new homes - all part of 'weaning'. If so, 'all' he'll be missing are his litter mates and familiar surroundings. I don't do blankets smelling of mum - puppies need to cut all ties with the past if they are to move on. I DO NOT do pee pads either - provided you take him out last thing and go with him to make sure he does empty, and then get up at least once overnight to take him out, initially, and he's sleeping and not eating or drinking, there should be no need to be messing in his crate and to use a pad is only encouraging him to mess in there/indoors anywhere. Yes breeders will have newspaper down, but once a pup is old enough to go home, he should be old enough to start to learn to hold. And once in a regular routine, he will start to learn that you won't be leaving him, especially crated, for so long that he HAS to mess in there.

I know there has to be a certain amount of ignoring this crying in crates, BUT his crate should be the one place he knows he'll be safe in so there's no point leaving him to get hysterical in there. Make sure you cover the top and sides of the crate so it's a nice warm den.

Lastly, make an appointment to see your vet with him, within the first 48 hours, for a health check so you know he's good to go. Take any medical history, worming (with what and when done), and vaccination done already with you so your vet knows what's been done and what needs to be done.

Good luck - if you've never had a dog, let alone a Basset before, you are both into a big learning curve. If you get stubborn, switch your approach. Over the years I've learnt that it's applied psychology with Bassets - making them think what you want, was their idea!! Your boy (lovely dark eyes!!) looks as if he will test your patience, but once you've formed a good bond with him, everything will be fine.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"there was a pee pad in the crate with him and he went on that... as suggested by the breeder."

this completely screws up being able to use the crate as a tool for housetraining making house training more difficult. Teaching the puppy to go in the crate is not a good idea,
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
this completely screws up being able to use the crate as a tool for housetraining making house training more difficult. Teaching the puppy to go in the crate is not a good idea,

I have to say we have NEVER had to resort to using a crate to house-train. I happen to believe this wasn't how crates were intended to be used - rather as a convenient place to put a puppy when supervision can't be done, to keep him safe and out of mischief. My first experience with crates was when coming to Canada from the UK where we didn't often see them, I first saw them being used at shows which again we didn't need in the UK as our shows were/are mainly benched and if not, people used their cars until it was ring-time. I thought what a great idea and bought a couple which we used when showing, and for car travel.

I do agree that a dog should never be encouraged to mess in a crate which putting a pee pad in there, will.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Like FranksMum said, with a new pup,I always used to put the crate next to my side of the bed.The puppy wouldn't want to soil his nice soft bedding, so he would whine when he had to pee.

When the puppy fussed, I would get up, carry him to his potty place in the yard, tell him to tinkle ,praise him, then carry him back to his crate.

By doing this the puppy learns that he can communicate with you and ask to go out when he has to relieve himself.

Good luck and thanks for posting the photo- he is very handsome!

Last edited by murraysmom; 08-31-2018 at 10:19 PM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmom View Post

When the puppy fussed, I would get up, carry him to his potty place in the yard, tell him to tinkle ,praise him, then carry him back to his crate.

By doing this the puppy learns that he can communicate with you and ask to go out when he has to relieve himself.

I'd agree but there a fine balance between him crying and you reacting!! Bassets aren't stupid (by a long way) and you don't want him to learn this. With the overnight outings, I tended to try to anticipate the need, getting up BEFORE the whining/crying started. Didn't always work, but you may be avoiding making a rod for your back if you can get him out first!! Of course, they will learn that you won't be leaving them crated for long enough that they HAVE to mess in the crate. So starts the ability to hold - although a young puppy physically can't hold for very long even if overnight, with no eating or drinking, there shouldn't be the same need to empty every couple of hours that there will be during the day when he's running around
Old 09-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

We just reciently brought our boy Barney home.
He was 9 weeks old. He is now 11 weeks old.
We use a crate at night and no pee pad.
The crate is at the end of our bed and covered with a blanket that covers it except for about 2 inches at the door end.
I make sure he has a pee before bed and he gets a Bully Stick to chew in his crate.
He did cry when he was put to bed and I would lay down on the bed and hang my hand down at the crate so he could smell it and I could reach through and touch him.
After about 5 minutes he would be asleep.
For the first week he would wake up twice in the night to pee.
He usually is put to bed around 1030 or 1100.
He would wake up at 2:00 am and again at 4:30.
I would go outside with him and when he did his buisness I give him a small treat.
Now he only wakes up once around 4:30 to 5:00 then back to bed.
When he is put to bed after a pee break he gets a nice treat.
He does still cry a bit but only for 3 or 4 minutes then he goes to sleep.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
oldgrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Adorable

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk
11341johnson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement