Getting a puppy-wanting opinions. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2018, 01:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.

I am getting a basset hound puppy soon but wanted everyone’s opinions. The lady sent me pictures of all the puppies as well as mom and dad. But dads ears seem real short and was wondering if the puppies are going to have the short ears or the long ears like normal basset hounds. The puppies are about four weeks old.
Attached Thumbnails
Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-b8c59a05-8e32-4941-9cb5-50f2e89e1fe8_1533745992255.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-588df28e-9080-4419-ba85-bf0aecb74f28_1533746000064.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-5a3b265b-4d19-49ac-9690-24525d7b7c8a_1533746017651.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-89d34dae-f54f-4886-90b0-8e46f46e0628_1533746032973.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-532c4283-0c9b-4d20-9ffd-06213c600500_1533746048898.jpg  

Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-15a77fae-dea2-4df0-ae83-d52df51d9561_1533746065067.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-bcaa2cb3-0b06-4af7-b547-1e335be93c4c_1533746079538.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-c0207871-c366-4ebf-a035-59b393e05ae9_1533746111454.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-74e04187-aff1-4f24-9be6-e6d75857bd88_1533746128560.jpg   Getting a puppy-wanting opinions.-ddf769db-e52c-4e2d-a4ed-e9ccd2779eca_1533746161393.jpg  

Haleyscales00167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2018, 04:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Whether you go with a puppy from this litter would probably depend more on TEMPERAMENT than looks, as long as you don't want to show or breed eventually. If the first photo is the male, apart from his ears, I don't like his expression (colour of eyes?) or his FRONT. These faults will appear in some of the puppies, depending on what the mum looks like!!

The fact you have asked here suggests to me that you are not totally happy with this litter although at this tender age, they could be anything! And ear length won't be apparent for another few weeks, much as you can see the 'set-on' which should be low. I don't much like the what we call 'bucket head' on some, although again, this can change with maturity.

Keep your options open but do be aware that it's hard to walk away from any Basset puppy! So when/if you go look, look at the parents and any other adults they may have, again with emphasis on the temperament of their stock. Even show dogs are firstly PETS

Where in the world are you because you should always go through the relevant Breed Club when it comes to reputable breeders - they have Codes of Ethics which should rule out BYBs.

ps I am being 'picky'!!

Last edited by FranksMum; 08-09-2018 at 04:26 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

All puppies are cute and irresistible. That's why I recommend picking a breeder, rather than a puppy. Your odds of a good, healthy, temperamentally sound pup are much better from a good breeder than a poor one. I recommend not looking at the pups, but looking at the parents and adult relatives. Are the parents what you would like your dog to be In appearance, temperament, health and soundness? If not, look elsewhere.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2018, 05:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
I am being picky'!!
One should be picky. You will hopefully have this dog for the next 12-15 years. "Just a pet" should not be a reason to settle for less. A pet needs to be healthy and sound. A pet needs an outstanding temperament. And if you are wanting a particular breed, I would assume it is because you are attracted to the appearance and personality of that breed, so you should get one that actually looks and acts like that breed.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You

Last edited by Soundtrack; 08-21-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am also getting a puppy. I did a lot of research before contacting the breeder. I wanted to make sure that the pups were coming from a person who cares about them as much as I do and that they are not part of a puppy mill.

Try to see what the past puppies look like. If the breeder doesn't have info and pics of the past litters... their health etc maybe you should look elsewhere.
May Boris Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

FWIW rarely is the best breeding partner a dog the Breeder already owns. If the breeders litters always consist of two dogs they own it is a big red flag. Quality breeder can send you pictures of both Sire and Dam. but most of the time the Sire is not on site.

another big red flag is breeder allowing you to chose at 4 week. Quality breeder breed to improve the breed. One can not evaluate the conformation of a puppy before 8 weeks and with basset it is longer than that. So if the breeder is will to let you choose at 4 weeks, 1. They have no intention of Keeping any from the litter, which means the intention of the breeding was not likely to improve the breed. 2. they have not and can not address matching the temperment of the dog to the household it is going to. By avoiding mismatch of puppy temperament with owners desires you avoid a lot of surrenders. There is good reason why quality breeder tend to keep puppies longer ie 12 week and sometimes as long a six months to evaluate and find the right home for a particular dog

For reference on Ear length this is a video of our last litter at about 4 weeks ears are not at full length but still substantial

photos of the same litter at ~12 WEEKS can be found here https://www.basset.net/boards/genera...go-litter.html
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just to add, we didn't allow anybody who was actually looking for a puppy, to see our litters until after 5 weeks, for the simple reason that the ears don't 'come down' until some weeks after that age. And all too often people are disappointed at the apparent lack of this feature Leaving it another few weeks and the litter can look way different - even to head shape!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
FWIW rarely is the best breeding partner a dog the Breeder already owns. If the breeders litters always consist of two dogs they own it is a big red flag. Quality breeder can send you pictures of both Sire and Dam. but most of the time the Sire is not on site.

another big red flag is breeder allowing you to chose at 4 week. Quality breeder breed to improve the breed. One can not evaluate the conformation of a puppy before 8 weeks and with basset it is longer than that. So if the breeder is will to let you choose at 4 weeks, 1. They have no intention of Keeping any from the litter, which means the intention of the breeding was not likely to improve the breed. 2. they have not and can not address matching the temperment of the dog to the household it is going to. By avoiding mismatch of puppy temperament with owners desires you avoid a lot of surrenders. There is good reason why quality breeder tend to keep puppies longer ie 12 week and sometimes as long a six months to evaluate and find the right home for a particular dog

For reference on Ear length this is a video of our last litter at about 4 weeks ears are not at full length but still substantial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOxE...-pczg&index=22

photos of the same litter at ~12 WEEKS can be found here https://www.basset.net/boards/genera...go-litter.html

Beautiful babies! ❤️ and that adventure bar is just awesome!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kimberlybomer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Every puppy is unique and precious. They cannot decide the length of their ears, but you can decide your decision. I think a 'correct' puppy should have a good temperament and be tamed easily, so the appearance should not affect your choice.
I saw a news report about a Chinese rural dog (unfamous breed) was adopted by an America volunteer and trained to be a service dog. It's the first Chinese rural dog registered in the US.
I suggest you should consider carefully before picking a puppy, because you are responsible for their whole life.

Last edited by Soundtrack; 08-21-2018 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Link removed
Huge Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Every dog and every owner has their own personality. I am mathematically minded and I like symmetrical looking faces. My mom is artsy and likes the quirky looking ones. I just took it with the grain of salt that the ears would come in and they do. Watch them walk and interact, I think that is much more important.

I picked out my last pup by looks mostly and I learned that there are some Basset Hounds that live up to the stereotype. Some are lazy but very sweet.

Good luck on your new baby!
Carisab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement