I'm about to be MINUS a hound...I need help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2018, 02:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default I'm about to be MINUS a hound...I need help!

I have a Basset that'll be 8 later this year. About 6 months ago, we noticed she started peeing on our patio. We have a pet door that leads out to our covered patio, and another that leads out to the backyard. She has no issue going through the doors during the day - she only does this at night. We know it's not a UTI (she had one years ago, so we know what to look for)...it's a behavior issue.

I've tried adjusting our sprinkler times (thinking the one time was preventing yard access, leaving the main door from the patio to the yard open at night, controlling her water intake, training pads. SHE STILL DOES IT ON THE PATIO - ONLY AT NGHT! 😡😡

We're trying to sell our house, and I don't want the stain/smell to be a deterrent. I've cleaned with TSP, used bleach, and an enzymatic cleaner, but she does it EVERY NIGHT! 😡😡

I'm at the point of a) removing her from this world, or b) getting rid of her. We love her to death, but this is driving us nuts...

PLEASE HELP!!
Usc99csf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

If the behavior bothers you enough then you need to change it. The first thing to change it is stop allowing the behavior to be practiced. at Night Close the dog door. Confine the dog. Take it out at night to potty where you want her to go on leash, reward her for going there , repeat .
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

Our dogs go potty before bedtime and can hold it until morning- is there a reason she needs to go potty during the night other than force of habit?

1.I'd take her to the vet to make sure there's definitely no UTI or other medical issue going on that makes it hard for her to hold her urine through the night: diabetes, kidney problems,Cushings/Addison disease,hormone issues, etc : I'd have the vet do a thorough workup.

I'd also have her vision checked to see if deteriorating vision is making her scared to navigate your yard in the dark.

2. Could she be scared of wildlife that she knows is there and that you're not aware of? During "Skunk Season" I leave a spotlight on that lights the backyard to discourage critters.

3. If you decide you can't deal with this problem, please take time to find a basset rescue organization which will make sure she ends up in a good home. You can google "basset rescue" along with your region of the country to see what your options are.

Last edited by murraysmom; 06-26-2018 at 08:05 AM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2018, 10:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

I can't block the door. I have another dog and 4 indoor/outdoor cats that go to the bathroom in the backyard.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Minus a Basset...

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmom View Post
Our dogs go potty before bedtime and can hold it until morning- is there a reason she needs to go potty during the night other than force of habit?

1.I'd take her to the vet to make sure there's definitely no UTI or other medical issue going on that makes it hard for her to hold her urine through the night: diabetes, kidney problems,Cushings/Addison disease,hormone issues, etc : I'd have the vet do a thorough workup.

I'd also have her vision checked to see if deteriorating vision is making her scared to navigate your yard in the dark.

2. Could she be scared of wildlife that she knows is there and that you're not aware of? During "Skunk Season" I leave a spotlight on that lights the backyard to discourage critters.
It's probably force of habit. But I cannot block our pet door, because I have 4 cats that are indoor/outdoor, so their litter box is our backyard.

I'll look into the vet workup. I don't think it's a vision thing. I think that because she's done it once, the area is marked, so she thinks it's okay...still not sure, though.

As far as wildlife, we have spotlights in the backyard (which is fenced). The only creatures we have are squirrels and lizards, which she helps the cats chase out of the yard.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Minus a Basset...

Okay, so Abby's behavior aside...what can I use to get the smell/stain off the patio. We're getting ready to put our house on the market...

Thoughts? I've tried TSP and hot water, bleach, Clorox Urine Remover, and an enzymatic cleaner (can't remember the name). I read somewhere that white vinegar would work, as well as sealing the concrete after the enzymatic cleaner.

Any help on this?
Old 06-26-2018, 01:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

1. CONCRETE is porous you will never completely remove the smell need to seal the smell in. concrete sealer , paint or Epoxy. https://homerepairgeek.com/home-floo...-concrete.html

2. " But I cannot block our pet door," yes you can for her. i.e. contain her so she does not have access to the door.

3."I have another dog and 4 indoor/outdoor cats that go to the bathroom in the backyard." so how do you know which is the culprit and that there is only one?
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post

2. " But I cannot block our pet door," yes you can for her. i.e. contain her so she does not have access to the door.

3."I have another dog and 4 indoor/outdoor cats that go to the bathroom in the backyard." so how do you know which is the culprit and that there is only one?

2 - totally agree - confine her, so you don't have to shut the door
3- this occurred to me too!!

So make sure she empties where you want her to, by going WITH her last thing and then crate. If she can't hold through the night, find out (vet) why!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Crates are wonderful things.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Talking Baby steps...

I cleaned the patio using the website Mikey T gave me (THANK YOU). Waiting on the 24 hour mark to pull the tarp and seal the concrete.

We pulled the water last night around 7:30pm. Took both dogs out right when we were going to bed. When we went to bed, I closed the bedroom door just to the point the cats could go in and out, but not the dogs. Somehow, the door got opened enough (probably the cats doing their WWE matches). I heard Abby's toes on the floor, went to check the patio...NO PUDDLES!!

When we woke up this morning, went outside, and the patio was fine. So 1st night was a success. Going to repeat the process until it's second nature with her again.

I'm thinking that since she's turning 8, it may be an age thing...we'll see how it goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement