The chicken incident - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2018, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default The chicken incident

What the heck, this place isn't overflowing with posts and I've referenced this story once or twice. If you are bored, read on, if you have other things to do, quit now. This isn't particularly entertaining, but I also might add to the story where I rescued my bassets when they got lost the first time when they were packing GPS.

As I eluded to in other posts, I let my boys run loose on weekends when I get to my WV cabin. I actually technically live in a subdivision with 2 acre lots. My boys (Buford and Cletus) think they own all of the lots. Most lots are undeveloped, some have mobile home units, others have more permanent structures, etc. I'm also the president of the HOA, a good acquaintance up the hill is the secretary.

So, boys are out for roughly 5 hours which is normal for them. They show up at my door with blood on the tip of their tail. Not unusual when they find dead critters out in the woods and, well, I won't go into what I imagine what they do. Let's just say sometimes in WV a basset fart will occasionally set off my smoke detector.

They show up at the door and the phone rings at the same time. I answer the phone, it's my neighbor, the HOA secretary. Very, very upset. I didn't know she had a flock of chickens. My boys found the flock. My boys chased the chickens and killed two of them. She further tells me that she was kinda close to the chickens, like they were family members and that I need to control my dogs.

Oh. Crap. I can't let them run anymore.

They won't understand. I can no longer come to the cabin and keep them out of the woods. They'll whine, cry, beg, they just won't understand why they can't run anymore. Means maybe I have to stop coming out altogether. This is the end of an era.

I feel terrible. Horrible. I'm imagining her picking up bloodied chicken carcasses that were once considered part of family. I offer to replace the chickens with absolutely no idea how much they cost. $50 each? Done, whatever. She refuses, says she doesn't want anymore chickens.

Still, I owe her something.

So, the next weekend I brought her a bucket of KFC.

Yes, that was a joke I tell sometimes. Actually bought her a nice gift box from Harry and David's, sink around $80. Turns out baby chicks are often under $5 each. I had left the dogs at home with my ex-wife for that weekend and went there by myself, had some things to do anyway.

I leave the package at her door as she happened to be out at the time and left a phone message to make sure they find the package.

She calls back later that day, thanks me for the package and apologizes for being so hard on me. She had gotten over the event. She further tells me she knows that the bassets get really good exercise out there and made me a deal - let me know when I'm coming out for a weekend and she'll keep the chickens in the coop until I leave.

I'm so relieved, can't begin to explain. So, most weekends I leave an email or whatever to let her know when I arrive and leave. Once I arrived a bit early and I was asked to keep them inside until around 7pm, the chickens wandered to the coop near sunset. I had to spend 90 minutes with a pair of bassets that just arrived inside the cabin and they couldn't understand why I wouldn't let them out. They cried, whined, pounded on the door for 90 minutes until I opened the door at 7pm. They drove me nuts.

So, as time goes on and we keep emailing back and forth regarding weekend visits, she's losing one or two chickens a month. Another dog got another one. A fox got in the coop and wiped out a few. Basically, mother nature is a bit rough on domesticated chickens. About 7 or 8 months after the initial chicken incident (turns out my boys were responsible for the first chicken incident), she lost her last one and had no desire to get any more.

Later we talked more about the initial incident, turns out my boys were chasing the chickens, but never caught any (I can visualize them having a blast doing this). She said two of them just fell over dead as if they had heart attacks. She even apologized for chasing my boys off with a broom. I told her she was nuts for apologizing, my boys entered her property and chased her chickens, of course she had permission to chase them off.

This got kinda long, so maybe I'll share the first GPS based rescue another time if there's interest.
Engineer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, that's a good story, and thank you for posting it- things are a little slow on this forum lately- I haven't been posting or checking in much myself; will try to visit more often!
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well that's a story, but whether a good one I'm not so sure Frankly if mine had been involved in killing livestock belonging to me or somebody else, I'd have got the message about it perhaps not being such a good idea to open the door and let mine run . I realise people have their own ideas, but when living in Canada, with acreage, we still fenced off about an acre so our lot could go in and out from their home, without me worrying about what they might be getting up to.

In the UK farmers have the right to shoot (to kill) if dogs are straying on their fields, whether worrying livestock or not. And they do shoot.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2018, 07:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Well that's a story, but whether a good one I'm not so sure Frankly if mine had been involved in killing livestock belonging to me or somebody else, I'd have got the message about it perhaps not being such a good idea to open the door and let mine run . I realise people have their own ideas, but when living in Canada, with acreage, we still fenced off about an acre so our lot could go in and out from their home, without me worrying about what they might be getting up to.

In the UK farmers have the right to shoot (to kill) if dogs are straying on their fields, whether worrying livestock or not. And they do shoot.
I reached out to the rest of the neighbors. Found another one is keeping ducks, but they are always caged and they are ok with the dogs running, in fact they like seeing them from time to time.

Message received though, I'll just quit posting.

In my opinion there's not much traffic on this forum and thought I'd add some entertaining content. But it seems every time I post something, there's almost always a judgemental response.

My boys have been running the woods for almost four years. They love it, they are keeping extremely fit, I always know where they are (GPS) and it's a common practice in this part of the world.

And they will be allowed to continue to run.

Over and out.
Engineer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm not 'judging' - just saying that what's going on with your hounds is not what I'd risk doing with mine I'm afraid. But horses for courses so if you say this is quite normal for where you are, so be it. Clearly letting them roam free works for your hounds and where you live. Generally speaking I'd suggest it might not
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement