Crying very early in mornings - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Crying very early in mornings

Hi all,

Really need help with this one so thanks in advance!

Our 6 year old Basset, Sherlock, cries a lot. The main thing driving us up the wall is crying in the mornings. He goes to bed very well, straight in and we go up stairs (we have a stair gate), not a peep from him.

But in the morning he'll cry and cry until we come downstairs which is a problem as it's 6am every day.

We've tried going down and putting him back in bed or letting him out for the toilet, we've tried completely ignoring it for months, we've also tried long walks in the evening to tire him out, but no change.

When we inevitably go downstairs he just goes straight back to sleep!

Can anyone help with this??
meggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 09:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Your hound and mine must be closely related. Almost ever since we had him, at 4 months, he's wanted up with the lark - and this can be the problem.... once the birds sing, he wants OUT. He and his buddie sleep in their crates in my room - she doesn't stir until I do, by around 7 am. Not so with himself. I count myself lucky if I go to 6 am in the middle of summer when it's light by any time after 4 am. It's hard ignoring (not just the noise) so in case he really does need out - if he's still unwilling to SHUT UP.... I get up, let him out, make myself a cuppa and go back to bed, leaving him in the kitchen to kick his heels until I /WE WANT UP!

If possible, you might try having him up with you at night, rather than leaving him alone downstairs? We have a single storey property here but I knew from the outset that trying to leave him in the kitchen, even with his buddie, wasn't going to work - apart from the fact it's not a big kitchen so as I prefer to use a crate at night, I can't leave the crates up in the kitchen all the time.

It's difficult to know whether this is just 'I've had enough sleep, let's get up - breakfast' or whether he has a real need to empty..... and I do go out with him to see what he does - usually it's just a pee but occasionally he has a bowel movement at which point I can't scold him!

Try bringing him in with you overnight

Last edited by FranksMum; 06-12-2018 at 12:57 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks FranksMum, we'll have to put some thought into it and possibly make a change.

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2018, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggyd View Post
Hi all,

Really need help with this one so thanks in advance!

Our 6 year old Basset, Sherlock, cries a lot. The main thing driving us up the wall is crying in the mornings. He goes to bed very well, straight in and we go up stairs (we have a stair gate), not a peep from him.

But in the morning he'll cry and cry until we come downstairs which is a problem as it's 6am every day.

We've tried going down and putting him back in bed or letting him out for the toilet, we've tried completely ignoring it for months, we've also tried long walks in the evening to tire him out, but no change.

When we inevitably go downstairs he just goes straight back to sleep!

Can anyone help with this??
mcmahonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

maby you should put up camera's around the house and see if you can see why he crys so much
mcmahonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

One approach is exercise, long walk before going to bed. May or may not work.

Mine wake me up around 5am or so on weekends to go out and run in the woods. They run over 5 hours at a time and usually lay down over 18 miles of tracks. This provides a few benefits:

1. Well, this isn't a benefit, they drag my butt out of bed at Oh-dark-thirty to go outside. But in my case, I just turn on the GPS tracker and go back to sleep while they terrorize the local rabbit population.

2. When they get home from a weekend, they don't move much. Wake me up in the morning? I often have to tip the love seat forward to roll Cletus out so he'll go outside for his morning elimination.

3. Well, of course it's super healthy for them.

I've found a decent walk right before sleep helps a lot, but results won't be as good as what I get on Monday through maybe Tuesday night (they recover quickly these days). There's a difference between recovering from a few blocks against 18 miles.

You can't believe everything you see on TV. I had no idea how much energy these dogs have. I wasn't prepared (but I am now!). All the Bassets I saw on TV were couch potatoes. Luther pulled his Basset around in a wagon on Coach. How did Bassets get such an inaccurate stereotype anyway?
Engineer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Wow where do you live! If I let mine run wild in the woods I'd never see him again!

I've tried a walk before bed but perhaps not long enough, he definitely has more energy than I expected when we got him, you're not wrong.

Thanks all!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmahonis View Post
maby you should put up camera's around the house and see if you can see why he crys so much
He just wants us up with him, sometimes he cries from his bed and can't even be bothered to get up! As soon as I come down he goes back to sleep, just ants the company I think.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meggyd View Post
Wow where do you live! If I let mine run wild in the woods I'd never see him again!

I thought the same. I don't know how anybody can be doing this ......even with acreage!!

And yes, your hound wants your company!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

1. if you followed Mr. teds previous post. 1. west virginia. 2. the dogs are hunting. 3. they have tracking collars. 4. If you have a scent hound that can not find its way back home it is not a very good scent hound. that said letting then run loose without supervision is a good way for them to get killed but that is not what is happening.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement