New Basset Owner - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Basset Owner

I'm a first time basset owner. Lucy is 6 months and I am absolutely in love with this baby dog. However, she is unlike any breed I've owned. First, the stereotype of hounds being lazy is just plain wrong! She does parkour all over my house! She's fast and can jump up on almost anything. She plays outside, has lots of toys and gets lots of attention. But have mercy, this is the most hyper dog I've ever had. Is this typical for the breed? It's like having a toddler again, seriously. And stubborn. An elephant may be stubborn, but Lucy has an immovable iron will. She cares not about pleasing me with her obedience. This concerns me because I'm afraid she will get hurt if she doesn't mind me. But... when she lays with me on the couch and I dig my fingers in that squishy skin while she licks my face...it just doesn't get any better. I'm hoping with maturity and patience these things will get better. Looking for some encouragement Signed, a tired dog mom

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Pharmdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

typical of a basset puppy
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmdog View Post
I'm a first time basset owner. Lucy is 6 months and I am absolutely in love with this baby dog. However, she is unlike any breed I've owned. First, the stereotype of hounds being lazy is just plain wrong! She does parkour all over my house! She's fast and can jump up on almost anything. She plays outside, has lots of toys and gets lots of attention. But have mercy, this is the most hyper dog I've ever had. Is this typical for the breed? It's like having a toddler again, seriously. And stubborn. An elephant may be stubborn, but Lucy has an immovable iron will. She cares not about pleasing me with her obedience. This concerns me because I'm afraid she will get hurt if she doesn't mind me. But... when she lays with me on the couch and I dig my fingers in that squishy skin while she licks my face...it just doesn't get any better. I'm hoping with maturity and patience these things will get better. Looking for some encouragement Signed, a tired dog mom

I've gone through the same experience (and expectations, thought they were going to be low energy). Had no idea how active bassets are. I got a pair of basset brothers so they rumble with each other a lot (I was hoping they'd focus attention/energy on each other as opposed to one picking on a cat, well, cats can take care of themselves as it turns out). Still do to this day and they are almost 4 years old.

A neighbor of my parents have a basset who after talking with my folks revealed that it took about 7-8 years for his basset to get less hyper.

I was also naive enough to not realize how much of a hunting dog bassets are. I take them out to my cabin in WV on weekends (plenty of woods) and they will spend 5-6 hours at a time tracking/chasing rabbits. You can't keep them from running the woods. Their tails also are in severe wag mode when they are on a rabbit scent. A typical weekend will involve over 20 miles of tracks laid down by my boys. I stay at the cabin and watch them over a GPS tracking device.

Once the weekend is over, it takes them a couple days to get back to their usual bouncy energy level. Walking them around a block a couple times also helps a lot.

Best advice, walk your dog early and often!

Last edited by Engineer_Ted; 04-16-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Engineer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Ted View Post
I've gone through the same experience (and expectations, thought they were going to be low energy). Had no idea how active bassets are. I got a pair of basset brothers so they rumble with each other a lot (I was hoping they'd focus attention/energy on each other as opposed to one picking on a cat, well, cats can take care of themselves as it turns out). Still do to this day and they are almost 4 years old.

A neighbor of my parents have a basset who after talking with my folks revealed that it took about 7-8 years for his basset to get less hyper.

I was also naive enough to not realize how much of a hunting dog bassets are. I take them out to my cabin in WV on weekends (plenty of woods) and they will spend 5-6 hours at a time tracking/chasing rabbits. You can't keep them from running the woods. Their tails also are in severe wag mode when they are on a rabbit scent. A typical weekend will involve over 20 miles of tracks laid down by my boys. I stay at the cabin and watch them over a GPS tracking device.

Once the weekend is over, it takes them a couple days to get back to their usual bouncy energy level. Walking them around a block a couple times also helps a lot.

Best advice, walk your dog early and often!
Thanks so much for sharing. I believe you are right, I underestimated the power of that hunting instinct. She is happiest outside tracking for sure. Well except for eating! So, do your boys come back on their own? I'd be afraid Lucy wouldn't on her own. We thought about taking her brother too, but we're afraid it would be too much potty training two. Now I think she'd love a playmate because our older dog wants nothing to do with her.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

IMHO raising littermates together is a mistake the bond too much to each other and not others including humans in the household unless you spend a lot of time doing things individually with the dogs.

about wandering off, If you are actively engages with them they stick around. if not they are gone. and chasing an animal it depends on the animal, rabbits circle deer on the other hand run straight for miles. You Might want to check out the AHBA world hunt video I recently posted in the performance forum

http://www.basset.net/boards/basset-...eo-go-pro.html
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
typical of a basset puppy
Good to know!

Old 04-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmdog View Post
Thanks so much for sharing. I believe you are right, I underestimated the power of that hunting instinct. She is happiest outside tracking for sure. Well except for eating! So, do your boys come back on their own? I'd be afraid Lucy wouldn't on her own. We thought about taking her brother too, but we're afraid it would be too much potty training two. Now I think she'd love a playmate because our older dog wants nothing to do with her.

Their noses have gotten them lost before. I believe they follow a trail until some point they lift their heads and have no idea where they are. One made it back in 12 hours, the other over 24 hours. Scared the hell out of me, I thought I lost at least one of them.

After that, I bought the Astro 320 GPS tracking system. They've gotten lost again after that incident, but this time I knew where they were and were able to go retrieve them. I have a rather long story of climbing a steep hill in the woods for 500ft vertical at 2am to get them. They were ecstatic to see me. Until 1/3 of the way back to the car, they caught a rabbit scent and ran off. I gave up for the night since they still showed up on my gps unit, got them the next morning at around 9am, they were sitting on the side of a road (all dirt roads in my weekend area) waiting to be rescued (about a mile and a half away).

Now - they know the woods quite well. They haven't gotten lost in probably well over a year, but I still keep the GPS trackers on them. I like knowing where they are and can tally up how many miles they've run in a weekend (often over 20 miles). Downside is the system is expensive, and the boys are rough on equipment. I've had to replace the collar units three times to date, and they cost $250 each (receiver unit extra too).

Oh, and the thing I'm most sorry about (then again, I didn't know how energetic bassets were), we had a 16 year old black lab when we got them. She didn't want anything to do with the bassets, and got upset when the bassets were play fighting with each other (she would walk in the middle of the battle to break them up, she didn't get that they were just rough housing). Bassets adored the old dog, but she just didn't have the energy or patience to deal with them and the lab ended up with a lot more hassle then she deserved during her final year on this planet. If I had gotten just one puppy though, all of the attention would have been turned on the older dog and that would have gone worse.

Last edited by Engineer_Ted; 04-19-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
IMHO raising littermates together is a mistake the bond too much to each other and not others including humans in the household unless you spend a lot of time doing things individually with the dogs.

about wandering off, If you are actively engages with them they stick around. if not they are gone. and chasing an animal it depends on the animal, rabbits circle deer on the other hand run straight for miles.
None of this rings true with me. I have a pair of brothers, and yes, they are definitely bonded. They keep together when running in the woods and play with each other. Great way for bassets to expend energy - on each other. They play rough and I'd rather have that heavy energy land on each other.

When I'm home, I always have at least one dog on the couch snuggled up against me. Last night, one in my lap, the other snuggled up against me. They usually fall asleep on me and it's difficult to get up with a 60lb weight in your lap.

When I dog sit another dog, these guys play with the other dog. They gang up on that dog, but that dog takes it in stride.

I also disagree with if you actively engage they will stick with you. I've tried that. First wiff of a rabbit trail and their attention on you plummets to 0%. Their hunting instinct kicks in and they are off.

Oh, and too bad this site makes it difficult to post images, I'd love to show the GPS map of the tracks they've laid down. There isn't a straight line anywhere on it unless they happen to be coming home and come down the dirt road. Rabbits don't run straight, so my bassets don't run straight.

I know all dogs have different personalities/traits, my experience with my bassets differs from your post. Might have to do with the environment, at a city townhouse during the week and WV cabin on weekends.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"She cares not about pleasing me with her obedience. "

absolutely I always laugh at trainers that say a dog should work to please you. Obviously they are not going to be able to train a whole lot of breeds with that attitude.

see"https://suzanneclothier.com/article/hard-to-train/"

if you change your approach and pay the dog for work, Training a basset hounds is relatively easy.

10 year old basset hound

2. yeAR OLD BASSET
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer_Ted View Post
Their noses have gotten them lost before. I believe they follow a trail until some point they lift their heads and have no idea where they are. One made it back in 12 hours, the other over 24 hours. Scared the hell out of me, I thought I lost at least one of them.

After that, I bought the Astro 320 GPS tracking system. They've gotten lost again after that incident, but this time I knew where they were and were able to go retrieve them. I have a rather long story of climbing a steep hill in the woods for 500ft vertical at 2am to get them. They were ecstatic to see me. Until 1/3 of the way back to the car, they caught a rabbit scent and ran off. I gave up for the night since they still showed up on my gps unit, got them the next morning at around 9am, they were sitting on the side of a road (all dirt roads in my weekend area) waiting to be rescued (about a mile and a half away).

Now - they know the woods quite well. They haven't gotten lost in probably well over a year, but I still keep the GPS trackers on them. I like knowing where they are and can tally up how many miles they've run in a weekend (often over 20 miles). Downside is the system is expensive, and the boys are rough on equipment. I've had to replace the collar units three times to date, and they cost $250 each (receiver unit extra too).

Oh, and the thing I'm most sorry about (then again, I didn't know how energetic bassets were), we had a 16 year old black lab when we got them. She didn't want anything to do with the bassets, and got upset when the bassets were play fighting with each other (she would walk in the middle of the battle to break them up, she didn't get that they were just rough housing). Bassets adored the old dog, but she just didn't have the energy or patience to deal with them and the lab ended up with a lot more hassle then she deserved during her final year on this planet. If I had gotten just one puppy though, all of the attention would have been turned on the older dog and that would have gone worse.
We had a 15 year old greyhound that died a week after we got the basset, and she followed her everywhere nipping and barking. I felt bad too that she didn't have much peace that last week of her life. Also have a Shih-Pom she's a grouchy 6 year old and refuses to make friends with the basset. Quite a story about you going to rescue them, the things we do for our dogs! Going to look into some GPS options and maybe we can let her loose a bit more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement