Whining - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2018, 12:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Whining

My little 10 week old guy is such a whiner! I don't remember that with my last guy but that was almost 20 years ago. Is this something that calms down with age or is he just going to go from whining to howling?
mylongears is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

a lot depends on the cause. As my wife "soundtrack" had one constant whiner that never realized it was doing it. for others it is an attention seeking behavior .

there are two methods that work with attention seeking behavior but they are total incompatible. Most seek a middle ground between the two that does not work

1. actively ignore the behavior. That is never reward the behavior with attention even negative attention line telling him to be quite etc.

2. the second method is to give attention immeadiately over time the dog will become less needy

for most people 1 does not work because if they could ignore the behavior the dog would not be using it in the first place. And there is this thing call an extinct burst that occurs when trying to extinguish a previously rewarded behavior, The behavior will be come worse much worse before it goes away. Secondly this method does not address the emotional needs of the dog. so it is likely to come up with an even more annoying behavior to get your attention.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting observation. I never thought if it was attention seeking or being completely unaware. Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

10 weeks strikes me as kind of young to be out in the world on your own....I would be needy too.....There are heartbeat toys/blankets might give some comfort....but I would spend lots of time snuggling.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylongears View Post
My little 10 week old guy is such a whiner! I don't remember that with my last guy but that was almost 20 years ago. Is this something that calms down with age or is he just going to go from whining to howling?
Hah - firstly they are all different! Secondly provided you prevent/avoid the situations you notice produces this, eventually he won't be doing this, much as he may just a one of the 'vocal ones ' - like my fusspot of a boy! With Frankie, he's always vocalised and believe me, at times I could throttle him. However, at only 10 weeks, most puppies would almost be bound to be upset, bewildered about what has happened to him - the biggest upset in the life of any dog is leaving the nest and first home.

Obviously you need to make sure he's physically ok - did you have your own vet check him over during the first 48 hours? Try not to react to all this, within reason. Comfort him BEFORE the whining begins. Do you use a crate because for me, used properly (which does NOT mean keeping a puppy in there for long hours during the waking day), with top and sides covered, and the door left open, this should give your young hound a 'base'. We tended to keep back at least 2 puppies so at this young age, we didn't get this kind of thing going on but the time between 10 weeks and when they can be taken out for short walks, can be difficult. A pup who is full of energy with not much outlet. So they are bound to be taking up most of your available time. This too shall pass.

Last edited by FranksMum; 04-04-2018 at 03:52 AM. Reason: correct punctuation and typos!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Hah - firstly they are all different!
Yup.

My boys, Buford and Cletus, are almost 4 years old.

Buford whines a bit from time to time these days.

He'll whine when excited (like when I put their weekend cabin harness on, they know they get to run through the woods that weekend, often exceeding 20 miles in a weekend). That whine will go for about 20 minutes into the car ride before he calms down. There's nothing else that I can do to abate his whining in this situation except learn to live with it. Cletus will grunt and do some minimal whining, but that won't last over a minute.

When Buford whines because he's asking to go outside or wants more water, that gets resolved fairly easily.

Good luck!
Engineer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you so much, it's just been so long since I've had a puppy I forgot a lot of age related issues. We do use a crate which I didn't know could be so wonderful! It's just a lot between potty training, nipping, barking, whining...the whole ball of wax. He has gone to the vet twice now. Once within 72 hours of purchase and again at his check up for his ears so all is fine on that front. Patience, patience, rinse repeat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement