Question about feeding issues - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about feeding issues

Hi everybody my Basset Hound puppy is 9 months old now. when she was about 6 months old I took her off of puppy food / a suggestion from a border collie rescue friend. She was then eating Diamond lamb and rice along with my other dog. I had my Basset Hound Noelani on blue puppy food. Before I totally switched her to Dimond lamb and rice I was mixing it with her puppy food. She is driving me crazy eating both of their poop. I have to race her to it, she tries to get her sisters and then run back and get hers as quick as she can so it's a race every time. My vet told me I should put her back on the puppy food until she's at least 10 months old maybe a year. Not because of her eating it but just because of her still growing. so I started adding her puppy food and then I'm just giving her straight blue puppy food now, once in a while I'll throw a handful of the diamond lamb and rice in with it. So I've noticed. When she Poops now and I've only fed her the blue puppy food she won't eat hers but she still wants to eat my other dog's poop. When I put a handful of the diamond lamb and rice in hers she digs in her poop, so I'm guessing that the diamond lamb and rice has more proteins in it that she wants.? I'm wanting to know what you all think? I don't want to chase her around picking up poop for the rest of her life before she gets a chance to eat it it's just grosses me out. So should I switch my other dog to Blue adult Dog Food and when I do the transition for my puppy just keep them both on Blue adult dog food or do you think the adult dog food is what's doing it and it doesn't matter? She is holding right now at 38 lbs. Oh also I still feed her 3/4 cups 3 times a day plus two or three treats should I try to start cutting her back to twice a day? She doesn't seem like the starving type but she lets me know when she's hungry. I can tell but it could be habit. She is short, my cats taller than her. I'm glad she's little, I hope she doesn't get much bigger. But she's like a boulder, can't budge her. So heavy yet light! Super muscly! Any information would be appreciated thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Question about feeding issues-20180323_103915_1521908904071.jpg  
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hate to say it, but some dogs like to eat ahem...poop. Really does not seem to have much to do with diet, they just like it. Best advice is to keep it picked up. We use a pooper scooper and a garbage bag for the yard. Your vet can give you the best advice as to her condition.....I would think at 38lbs she is still growing. Our girls have all been about 50 lbs and they have not been considered "big".
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Also more of a multiple dog household thing.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2018, 01:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oh. my. god. I know dogs like to smell and sometimes lick each others' poo, I totally didn't expect they would race over and eat them!

I think my excitement of getting a new dog has just halved, after imagining that it could be one of those dogs.......oh well, I guess it's probably not a bad thing (halving my excitement, not eating poo btw) as I do need to keep my head straight
furbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbaby View Post
Oh. my. god. I know dogs like to smell and sometimes lick each others' poo, I totally didn't expect they would race over and eat them!
There's one way of stopping all that and that is to PICK IT UP when it arrives!! You'll get to know when your hound is likely to have a bowel movement (times in the day) so be out there, ready.

We didn't have any of that until our foundation bitch was in whelp and she started doing this. Neither of our two males had done that! But after her (and what she was doing didn't start until she was in whelp which suggested she needed something missing from her diet, or was just plain hungry!), we did have some over the years, who'd get into stools given the chance - males and females.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

A vet once told me this is more of a female thing, with it stemming from cleaning up pups. Mainly we have had only "the girls" do this......don't know if as many males do.
There are food additives and lots of ideas online, but really, nothing works as well as keeping it picked up. Makes a nicer yard too.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Believe me, there's not one bit of poop outside. I follow them everywhere. Catch it as soon as it comes out. I just have to be quicker since she races to get it. I always pick it up, I know who's is who's. I also know how it looks. I've alway done this. I go outside with them everytime. Plus I know exactly when they are going to go.
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement