What things to look out for when you choose a puppy? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What things to look out for when you choose a puppy?

Hi there, newbie here. We are looking to get a basset hound puppy and just wanted to ask, are there any common breed specific issues we should look out for? For example, I know some breeds are more prone to knee problems so you may want to ask the breeder about knee problems in the family tree.

What about training and diet wise? A friend bought a Jack Russell and really struggled with housebreaking for months, then found out that this particular breed is known to be harder to housebreak than most. She said if she knew earlier and read about it, she may have approached it slightly differently.

We could be just overthinking things, but any insights about this particular breed would be very much appreciated !
furbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2018, 06:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Buying a puppy Basset

The answers to your questions would fill a book - and there are a number of good books on the breed available - often second hand on Amazon. But basically you should begin by finding a good reputable and knowledgeable breeder, usually best via the Breed Club where you are (Breed Clubs have Codes of Ethics which should rule out a BYB!!). If you make an appointment to go visit, most breeders should be prepared to sit with you and answer all your questions, show you their adults (look at them because puppies, especially for me, Basset puppies are ALL aaaah must haves). We all want our puppies to go to the best possible homes and for the homing to work.

Just be warned, once you have one, it won't stop there

Oh and there are tests for Bassets, health-wise, but in general Bassets..

Can suffer with gastric torsion (GDV) so once adult, do best on two smaller meals a day. And not being exercised for 2 hours after a feed, or fed less than 1 hours after coming home from exercise.
Can suffer with epilepsy - it is in the breed
Can have glaucome - there is a test, gonioscopy, to rule out a predisposition to this
Do need to be exercised carefully up to 6 months of age (only romping around) and then gradually build up their muscle tone via more organised road work so they reach a year, still sound
Do suffer with Pano - a disease of the long bone which does run in some bloodlines.
Can be said to be stubborn, but if you get that, you need to alter your approach to training
Can have skin problems.

And so on although basically this is a comparatively problem-free breed when compared to some.

Again, find yourself a good breeder!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you FranksMum!

Sorry I knew it was a bit of an open question, so to fully answer it would be like writing a book. But most of the info I found online are a bit more generic rather than breed specific. So your list is definitely a great start, thank you.

Can't promise if I have enough patience to read through an entire book about one dog breed, but may I ask what is the title of the one you would recommend?

Old 03-22-2018, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I second the suggestion that you don't find a puppy, you find a breeder. If you find a good breeder, pretty much any puppy is a good bet. While there are no absolute guarantees (we're dealing with living creatures after all), your chances of a healthy, sound and stable pup are much higher when dealing with a good breeder. Preferably see the breeder when they don't have puppies, but meet their adults and see if those are the kind of dog you want. It's too hard to think straight when you are looking at a bunch of cute puppies.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
I second the suggestion that you don't find a puppy, you find a breeder. If you find a good breeder, pretty much any puppy is a good bet. While there are no absolute guarantees (we're dealing with living creatures after all), your chances of a healthy, sound and stable pup are much higher when dealing with a good breeder. Preferably see the breeder when they don't have puppies, but meet their adults and see if those are the kind of dog you want. It's too hard to think straight when you are looking at a bunch of cute puppies.
Thanks for the advice! We will speak to a few more breeders locally and hopefully the wait isn't too long.

You are damn right about not able to think straight in front of a bunch of puppies........I can totally imagine myself screaming "TAKE ALL MY MONEY! I NEED TO TAKE ALL OF THEM HOME!"
Old 03-23-2018, 08:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Books -
It would depend really on where you are but to be honest THE best book I have in my collection would be a small one by E. Fitch Daglish which is probably out of print. Published by Foyles UK and titled The Basset Hound (naturally!)

Then there's Marianne Nixon's The Basset Hound, again UK which has a good mix of the various kennels (LOT OF INCORRECT info. here and who did the proof reading on that section needs shooting) but she does cover general info which the new owner should find helpful.

Jeanne Rowett Johns published a book 'All About the Basset Hound' years ago and that has a lot of useful new owner info. UK

Then there's Margaret (Peg) Walton's book The New Basset Hound - USA

Bob Booth (US) produced a huge and rather expensive (new) book on the breed which has loads of info. about various kennels, including others outside the US. But again it's more for those who want to learn about the kennels that influenced the breed over the years. Titled 'The Official Book of the BH

For 'lighter' reading, Diane Morgan penned a book called The Basset Hound Owner's Survival Guide'. US.

And then there's the old standards by George Johnson UK and Mercedes Braun, US.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Please check out the Basset Hound Club of America website, there is an area there to find breeders in the U.S., and a lot of information on the breed. Do find a reputable breeder, beware there are backyard breeders out there who will say there pups come from champion lines. Frankly, most registered dogs have champions in the background. Do they show their dogs? How many litters do they have a year? Few reputable breeders breed constantly.....so beware of another litter coming soon and asking for a deposit.

A reputable breeder will ask about YOU...do you have experience with dogs, do you have a fenced yard....do you have kids, where will the dog be during the day? Who will be in charge of training the pup? Frankly good things to consider when getting ANY pup. Take your time and learn about the breed....the ears and skin do need attention to avoid yeast infections...and those toenails are some kind of tough to clip! It also takes some extra patience to train a basset...they have minds of their own....and will likely train you. But no other breed for us now.....
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by furbaby View Post
Thanks for the advice! We will speak to a few more breeders locally and hopefully the wait isn't too long.

You are damn right about not able to think straight in front of a bunch of puppies........I can totally imagine myself screaming "TAKE ALL MY MONEY! I NEED TO TAKE ALL OF THEM HOME!"

LOL, normally if I'm meeting someone for the first time while I have puppies I talk with them, release the hounds on them, tell them all about Bassets and puppies, and then send them home to think about it for at least 24 hours. You'd be surprised how many people who were begging me to take their money and give them a pup change their minds when they've had a chance to actually think about what they're getting into.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" Few reputable breeders breed constantly.....so beware of another litter coming soon and asking for a deposit."

think that is way to big of a brush. there are generally at least a few very large Kennel in each breed that have the resource to do frequent breeding well and are often the driving forces in improving the breed.

Taking or not taking deposits for pending or up coming litter is very personal personally we do not do it cuz you never no if a liter is going to have a dog/puppy that is right for that individual and IMHO a deposit puts pressure on the breeder and the maker of the deposit to take a dog that is not the right fit,

Beauchasseur Bassets https://www.facebook.com/beauchasseur.bassets https://perfectpets.com.au/p/beaucha...+Light--SA/263 don't know these individual specifically but they are tied in to Topsfield and Claudia Orlandi here in the states, and you can ask for a much higher recommendation than that,

Last edited by Mikey T; 03-25-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 07:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"For 'lighter' reading, Diane Morgan penned a book called The Basset Hound Owner's Survival Guide'. US."

I like this one for one reason for newbies to the breed. unlike most the other type of breed books this on is much better at painting a picture of what day to day living with bassets is like. It is not a book that is intended as a how to a many of the other breed specific books are, but for deciding if bassets are a breed worth considering as a permanent member of the household I don't think there is a better book out there
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement