New Puppy - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Puppy

I haven't been around very much lately- busy with a new pup, a 6 month old catahoula mix from local rescue.

I will say that compared to a basset, he is really easy to train, just wants to please. High energy, Otto LOVES him. His name is Ziggy because he has a really interesting zig zag pattern down the entire length of his tail.

Would like to post photos but my photobucket account doesn't work anymore.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

yep on photobucket unless you page extra, my want to look ate imageevent.com for photo hosting
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 01:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

mm, a Catahoula joined my household a couple of years ago, and she is a doll! They're very, very, very smart pups and extremely intuitive. Lots of heart. The only problems I've run into: they shed like crazy and they moo, haha!
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
mm, a Catahoula joined my household a couple of years ago, and she is a doll! They're very, very, very smart pups and extremely intuitive. Lots of heart. The only problems I've run into: they shed like crazy and they moo, haha!
Biscuit! Its good to see you!!!!!

I am in love with this dog. He is a catahoula/pitbull mix- from what I've gathered, these 2 breeds are bred together intentionally to hunt wild hogs in some of the southern states. He is the best of both breeds as far as I can tell: smart, agile, sweet, loyal, and just wants to please. Our local rescue took 6 of 12 pups in his litter and a rescue in Kentucky took the other 6.

Training him has been a breeze. We have a big fenced yard with a small woods and Otto and Ziggy wear each other out. Plus, Paul and I walk the dogs a couple of miles every day.

I didn't know about the mooing, he is 6 months old and hasn't found his voice yet-that should be interesting!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow, a Catahoula/Pit Mix is going to be some challenge I'd suspect. And does your dog have the light eyes the Cat. seems to have? I'm afraid I have an aversion to dogs with light-coloured eyes. Even Bassets after, having used an American-bred Basset with super dark eyes and we finally had the dark eyes that gives the Basset his gentle expression - once we lived with that, nothing else would do.

Baby Emma - Daughter of the American bred Lugano
Attached Thumbnails
New Puppy-file0003.jpg  

Last edited by FranksMum; 02-19-2018 at 12:51 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:19 PM   #6 (permalink)

Catahoulas were originally bred to hunt wild hogs, with or without pit bull. They're also the Louisiana state dog and apparently, when the French were there in the 1800's, they saw these crazy looking dogs with crazy eyes.

I just love my girl! She can be a handful---it's important to be not rough with them (like you ever would be!), but you must be clear and generous with the compliments. They're so, so smart and highly motivated, so I give lots of rewards for stupid things like not letting any squirrels in the house, haha. It just makes her glow with pride!

Another warning: they climb trees, hahaha.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit View Post
Catahoulas were originally bred to hunt wild hogs, with or without pit bull. They're also the Louisiana state dog and apparently, when the French were there in the 1800's, they saw these crazy looking dogs with crazy eyes.

I just love my girl! She can be a handful---it's important to be not rough with them (like you ever would be!), but you must be clear and generous with the compliments. They're so, so smart and highly motivated, so I give lots of rewards for stupid things like not letting any squirrels in the house, haha. It just makes her glow with pride!

Another warning: they climb trees, hahaha.
Thanks for the warning about climbing- he is super obedient and I've been able to keep him off the fence , but I guess time will tell on that one. Our fence is 4 feet high and I've already gotten an estimate for a higher one, but hope I don't have to do it because Paul almost had a stroke when he saw the cost....

And I knew from day one that our resident squirrels and bunnies were in for a rude awakening- he's FAST!! I love watching him run full out...

Training him has been so different from training a basset hound- he really doesn't care about food rewards, just wants praise- I know what you mean when you say your girl 'glows with pride' !

Otto loves him- they are both easy going dogs and have settled in together really well.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Catahoulas are the great undiscovered secret of the doggie world, I think. They're just lovies.
Old 02-23-2018, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Wow, a Catahoula/Pit Mix is going to be some challenge I'd suspect. And does your dog have the light eyes the Cat. seems to have? I'm afraid I have an aversion to dogs with light-coloured eyes. Even Bassets after, having used an American-bred Basset with super dark eyes and we finally had the dark eyes that gives the Basset his gentle expression - once we lived with that, nothing else would do.

Baby Emma - Daughter of the American bred Lugano
I mean, that's the definition of adorable right there. They should put this pic next to that word in dictionaries.
TrentPel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement