Appetite changes - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Appetite changes

We have the 5 month old basset and we just recently got a playmate for him, a 2 year old female YorkiePoo. The problem is that before we got the YorkiePoo, the basset would devour his food as soon as we put it in front of him. Once we got the YorkiPoo, his appetite hasnt been the same. We have always fed him around 6 am, 4 or 5 pm once we got home. We just leave him some more kibble in a kong toy in case he needs a snack during the day. He needs to work for it. Normally his food was always gone within 5 minutes. Even with a maze bowl. We just thought he was a normal basset and just loved to eat

As soon as we go the the Yorkie Poo, that changed. We feed them both at the same time, but in separate areas so they dont fight over the food. She eats right away,but he will just look at his food, smell it and eat a kibble or two but not eat. WE leave the food out for him while we get ready and eat our breakfast. He eventually does eat his food before we leave the house, but we are a little concerned about the sudden change. I dont think it like a depression thing. He still plays around, his tail wags and looks happy, but the fact that he wont eat right away like usual concerns us.

Anyone else have this happen? My wife and I think that maybe he doents eat right away because before we go the YorkiPoo, food was the only thing he had to look forward too and just ate out of excitement and boredom. Now that he has his playmate/companion, food isn't as big of a deal. Its the same food we've always feed him. Like i said, he eventually eats his food, but we are thinking of changing something. We are thinking about feeding them as usual at 6am and giving both of them about 10 minutes to eat their food and whatever they eat, thats all they will get until we get home and feed them in the afternoon. I know she will eat for sure, but he might not eat at all in that time and I feel bad leaving him hungry all day. Do you think he will get the point of "eat now or starve"? I dont want him to start chewing on things because hes hungry.
jbigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

don't think it has anything to do the the acquisition of the other dog but the age of the basset hound. This is typically where we change from feeding three times a dat to two. The growth rate start slowing down so the dog actually need less food.

This is also were picky eater are made as owners try to get the dog to eat more. If the dog misses a meal the make it more appealing next time. Dog learn holding out means something better and soon you create a pick eater. No basset is going to starve themselves to death except perhaps an intact male when there is a bunch of bitches coming into heat.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

We've always feed him 2 times a day, once in the morning before we head to work and once in the afternoon when we get home and we leave a Kong with kibble so he can snack during the day if he wanted. We just did some calculations and divided so that his breakfast, the Kong snack and dinner would add up to the daily recommended amount. He was always hungry, so we just got a little worried when he started to not eat right away as always. Maybe its the fact that my wife decided to switch his food without weening him off his old food. She also went grain free and went from chicken, which is what he always ate, to beef. It could just be that. Too many changes at once. Also, he cant be that picky, he eventually eats it all. Any other reasons he could not be eating as usual? It was literally overnight that the change happened. Saturday he gobbled down his breakfast and dinner. We picked up the female Saturday night after we fed him and then Sunday morning he ate slowly.
jbigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

the daily recommend amount is generally way too high for a basset. Remember a basset has a higher percentage of bone mass than any other breed. I GENERAL RECOMMEND 20% LESS than the MINIMIUM suggested serving based on weight and age guidelines on puppy food bag
Old 02-06-2018, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

he is not eating because simply he is not hungry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement