Is my dog being a bully? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2018, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is my dog being a bully?

I have a 5 month old Male Basset. We got him when he was 10 weeks old and has been the only dog in the house. Until last week. We got a 2 year old spayed/nurtured Female YorkiPoo and we cant tell if hes being a bully to her or just being a dominant male. Just to give you a little context on the issue. He has his own area, a good size area for any dog, in our apartment. Big enough that its actually 2 areas in 1. One side has his bed, another foam mat for him and toys to keep him entertained, while the other half has pee pads. I know its the lazy way to potty train, but he also goes on the grass outside when we take him out. Anyways, My wife and I work all day, and we made the effort to go home at lunch to walk him a bit, but it just wasn't possible all the time. So we decided to look for a "companion" for him. We finally got lucky and my wife's coworker has a cousin that had Molly and she was looking to get rid of her because she just couldn't take care of her. She too worked all day and SHE was in her crate all day. We took her in. We know HE is a handful when it comes to playing with other dogs, so we introduced them slowly. Wanted them to start getting used to each other. At first we would leave her in her crate next to his area and we could see in our camera that HE felt comfort with her there, which was the main reason to get Molly. He didn't whine one bit with her there and we saw that she was getting used to his as well. We finally had a breakthrough and they seem to be getting along. So today, we put them both together in his area, which is still plenty roomy for 2 dogs. We got her a bed of her own and a couple of toys. Well we saw on the camera that he flipped her bed over, put her toys next to his and when she tries to lay on his foam mat, he pretty much pushes her off of it. She barks and nips at him, but he doesn't care. He lays on his small bed and his pad is free, but once she steps on it, he will launch at her and kick her off. Any idea on how to "teach" him to share his area a bit more?
jbigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Just because you think it should be smaller does not lowers an individuals dog need for personal space. A dog that has been a single dog for some time is typically than a dog only use to a group setting, only natural. You need to provide a secure space for the yorkipoo. I would suggest using her open crate that is secured in a manner that the basset can move it away from his beds. I am assuming the crate is too small for the basset to confiscate.

see https://suzanneclothier.com/article/...ndy-baby-lets/

https://suzanneclothier.com/article/...-dogs-puppies/
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

It seems like the YorkiPoo has already accustomed herself to him. We wanted her in his area so she can break away from her shyness, like I said she was never socialized with other dogs besides her brother. We actually got her and her brother together, but we could only keep one since our apartments only allow 2 dogs. We found a good home for him as well. The last 2 days, she has actually been more open to him. He has also been more tolerant of her. We cant put her in her crate because he wants to play and he will jump onto it and freak her out. I dont think is personal space issue. Its not like he stands on his mat and looks at her and growls. They will both lay down on the mat. I think his problem is he wants to play with her, i mean he is a 5 months old puppy. Since she was never been played with, she doents know what playtime is. She wont even play with a toy and I've had 2 Rottweilers that even at an old age would still play with a ball or a rope. She just has no interest. Im thinking he probably feels like "if you dont want to play with me, then get off my mat". Its like he throws little tantrums and bullys her because hes mad. As a matter of fact, I just looked at the camera and she is on her bed and hes sleeping right beside her on his mat. I think if it was a personal space thing, he would not be so close to her. Could it be just him being bored and he bullying her a little is like him playing?

Old 02-02-2018, 07:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

https://thebark.com/content/your-dog...ay-appropriate
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Never forget that Basset Hounds are a pack animal and although you can take the hound out of the Pack, you can't completely take the pack (instinct) out of the hound. Many hounds will defend 'their place' - which would have happened with pack hounds. In other non-pack breeds, it's seen as resource guarding, but with your Basset, he's owning what he sees as his place, and especially if he's never had a companion. I'd suspect this will sort itself out and all you need to do is be there to keep an eye on things. Male Bassets I've known don't bully (which like being jealous, tends to be a human thing). And once he realises she's a keeper, I'd lay odds he'll start deferring to her.

ps I only once had a hound get on top of a crate - when she was in season. I was stupid but when this happened, and it wasn't one of the stronger wire crates so I was panicking that it might collapse on her, in getting him off, he actually bit me. At that point I had my husband come home from work (only one car) and get him off to Boarding Kennels until she was out of season.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's kind of what I figured. Just him trying to tell her its his area and she can only use it for a little. Like you said, Im sure it'll work itself out once he sees shes not going anywhere. He does have that jealousy for sure. If either my wife or grab the YorkiePoo to pet her while the other has him, he will squirm to try to get away and go to the other person to get their attention away from her. Its kind of cute in a way. I know Bassets are chill dogs(once they grown out the puppy stage at least) But he does seem to be getting better everyday with her there. He eventually gives up on pushing her off his mat and go play with a toy. As far as the jumping on the crate, I think it was just excitement and him wanting to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement