10 year old Basset won't eat - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy 10 year old Basset won't eat

My 10 year old Basset, Subby, has stopped eating. He has lost over 15 lbs and is no longer the eat anything guy he used to be. We have had him to the vet twice in the last 3 months for this. They have done Xrays, bloodwork, etc and have found nothing. He ended up staying in hospital for 2 days getting IV's. Since coming home, I can't get him to eat dog food, his is only eating meat such as ground sirloin, ground round, pork, some chicken, hot dogs, and french fries. He looks emaciated. I give him rice and sweet potatoes and he just walks away. Same with chicken. I am at the end of my rope trying to get him to eat. The other dog has gained all the weight he lost because he kept eatiing Subby's dog food. Is he just in the final phase of his life or does anyone else had this problem with their basset. I don't want to lose my little guy, but I don't want him to suffer. Any advice would help.

Thank you
ayezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 04:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayezzi View Post
My 10 year old Basset, Subby, has stopped eating. He has lost over 15 lbs and is no longer the eat anything guy he used to be. We have had him to the vet twice in the last 3 months for this. They have done Xrays, bloodwork, etc and have found nothing. He ended up staying in hospital for 2 days getting IV's. Since coming home, I can't get him to eat dog food, his is only eating meat such as ground sirloin, ground round, pork, some chicken, hot dogs, and french fries. He looks emaciated. I give him rice and sweet potatoes and he just walks away. Same with chicken. I am at the end of my rope trying to get him to eat. The other dog has gained all the weight he lost because he kept eatiing Subby's dog food. Is he just in the final phase of his life or does anyone else had this problem with their basset. I don't want to lose my little guy, but I don't want him to suffer. Any advice would help.

Thank you
I know it's hard to see them not eating, but what you are giving him isn't good for what might be going on - way too rich. Especially PORK and hot dogs - french fries? Really?

If this was my dog, I'd be off to another vet for at least a second opinion because clearly something has gone badly wrong. And equally it should be possible to diagnose what. 15 lbs is an horrendous amount of weight to lose.

I hope this isn't like one of mine who started being difficult with food around 6 months before we lost her to cancer.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-03-2018 at 01:22 PM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #3 (permalink)

You do need to get to another vet for a second opinion. Also, have you asked your vet for additional ideas as to what might be going on? Do they know he is still not eating?

Cancer can hide and be hard to detect, but how are his teeth/mouth...also is he moving freely, or does he seem in pain? Pain is hard to detect also....you might ask about starting some tramadol for a few days and see if there is any improvement. Sometimes pain management can make a difference in appetite. Is there any chance that he ate cellophane? It can create problems as it does not show in x-rays.

If he is eating anything, you might try adding some cooked rice or oatmeal into the beef or whatever he WILL eat into a food processor, and blending it in....also add some supplements and probiotics....if you can get any down it won't hurt. Try some yogurt?
B vitamins can stimulate the appetite.

This may sound strange, but also as dogs age, their sense of smell can diminish, and they don't eat as well because of it. Try some FISH based food....even some smelly cat food blended with a bit of cooked grain...there comes a point when any calorie is a good calorie..... Good luck.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thinking about this situation some more (some good suggestions from PollyEster btw), have you had your vet take a look inside his mouth? This could be as simple as needing a dental.

Also when we had a poor eater in kennels, we could usually get them going using tinned Chappie (UK) which is fish based. Tinned meat with tripe is also smelly enough to encourage eating.

We use natural (unflavoured) yogurt which can help clear an uncomplicated digestive problem.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Tried giving him rice, vegetables, turkey, sweet potatoes, and he just turns his head away. I will try some soft cat food, or something fish based. He goes to vet this afternoon. I hope its not the end of his time.
ayezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hope your vet found a cause and the solution. I completely understand the worries. I had lost my baby boy in 2014. When he wouldn't eat ( tumors pushing on his spleen) I was informed from my vet to try can sardines (in water) with pure pumpkin from a can or cooked fresh. We would offer non flavored Pedialyte and sometimes mixed with low sodium beef bone broth, or chicken broth. Hope this helps and your baby gets better.
CopperandBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree with the second opinion, but when a dog is like that I'll give them whatever they want to get them to eat.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiajoseph View Post
Hello

My 10 year old basset hound is not eating. she is throwing up the water she is drinking

Please get her to a vet as soon as possible, if she's not keeping water down I would consider it an emergency. Please let us know what happens. Good luck!

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-19-2018 at 06:41 PM. Reason: spam link in quote
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement