Bassets in your back yard - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2017, 11:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bassets in your back yard

Do you leave your Bassets outside when you are gone? I am paranoid if I do someone would steal them. We live in a pretty secluded area and you canít see them from the road, but still makes me nervous.

Do you always leave your Bassets in the house when you leave?
RiverDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2017, 01:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverDog View Post

Always! When a dog is left outside alone, sometimes the word gets out and there is every chance he/she could be stolen to order, or just a chance theft to be used for goodness knows what. And then there's the noise one left outside might make regardless of whether any close neighbours could be some way off.

No way would I ever consider leaving any of my hounds outside.

I don't allow mine the free run of the house however. Our current two are confined to the kitchen with a baby gate across the door so they don't have to be actually shut in behind the kitchen door.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranksMum View Post
Quote:

Always! When a dog is left outside alone, sometimes the word gets out and there is every chance he/she could be stolen to order, or just a chance theft to be used for goodness knows what. And then there's the noise one left outside might make regardless of whether any close neighbours could be some way off.

No way would I ever consider leaving any of my hounds outside.

I don't allow mine the free run of the house however. Our current two are confined to the kitchen with a baby gate across the door so they don't have to be actually shut in behind the kitchen door.
Thanks for the response and many good points. I am struggling with how to leave them in the house. They use the bathroom with no remorse if we arenít home. I donít want to leave them in their crate for long period and of time either.

Old 12-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Would never leave ours outside...ours get free range inside with the exception of a few rooms shut off....not sure what you have going on....are the dogs housebroken and old enough to "hold it" for the period of time you are asking? Or are you gone REALLY long periods of time when no dog could hold it? Or do you have separation anxiety issues going on.....a bunch of different issues here to sort out.....
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyEster View Post
Would never leave ours outside...ours get free range inside with the exception of a few rooms shut off....not sure what you have going on....are the dogs housebroken and old enough to "hold it" for the period of time you are asking? Or are you gone REALLY long periods of time when no dog could hold it? Or do you have separation anxiety issues going on.....a bunch of different issues here to sort out.....
My pups are about 5 and 8 months old. They are both crate trained, but not fully house broken. They both use the bathroom if we arenít in the room (sometimes when we are in the room). The older one does better, and they are both slowly getting better, but they would both go if the urge hits them and we aren't around. With new changes to my wife and Iís work schedules, we will be gone 9-10 hours a day. I really donít want to crate them all day. I have an outside dog kennel (10x10) but that obviously isnít safe to leave them outside. We have a basement where they couldnít really do any harm. Itís cinderblock walls and concrete floors. I would just have poop and pee to clean up every day, but that might be the best option.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
We have a basement where they couldnít really do any harm. Itís cinderblock walls and concrete floors. I would just have poop and pee to clean up every day, but that might be the best option.
What would bother me about this is the concrete floors!! Urine especially would surely soak into such flooring, unless treated so you can wipe it easily? Again kitchen so they don't feel quite so apart from the family, even if the family isn't home!! Most kitchen floor would be tiled, or lino at least?

But medical problem apart, these two really should be able to hold for up to 4 hours, if left on a regular basis. But not for 9 hours! I had to go back to work at one point and was away for that length of time, 3 days a week. I started coming home at lunchtime, but given I only had 1 hour, and the travelling distance involved, it really only meant I was home long enough to let them out, and then go again. I felt I was doing more harm than good so with them in different areas of the house, I'd lay newspaper in the kitchen and newspaper over plastic sheeting in the extension. That had to be the situation but as soon as I could stop working again, I did! Trouble was as they got used to me not being home, or not knowing when I'd turn up, if we went out of an evening, they'd not be clean indoors and that took time to sort out.

Can you have somebody come in to at least let them out during your time away, or into a good day creche? Clearly you can't expect them to hold that long, or be stuck in crates either!!
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

If you have room in the basement, why not build a secure, safe, cleanable kennel area for them with a potty area?
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
If you have room in the basement, why not build a secure, safe, cleanable kennel area for them with a potty area?
I am thinking about that too. Would you fool with pee pads or no?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I am thinking about that too. Would you fool with pee pads or no?
Butting in - no pee pads if only because sometimes a puppy (perhaps they are old enough not to do this) will try to eat a pad = choking. Just lay newspaper if you have to.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I agree at that age they will probably just play with and chew on the pads.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement