New dog woes - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2017, 03:05 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New dog woes

Hello all, it's been a long time! Bowser and I have been doing really well. In fact so well, we've expanded the family! But it's not who you'd expect... It was going to be a basset puppy, but instead, we got a Sheltie! Totally insane right?

The thing is, of course, that Bowser is jealous. And it's not the type of jealousy that is traditional for most dogs, instead, it is Bassett jealousy. Which I'm sure you can imagine means it's intense and very pouty. You see I was HIS human!
Needless to say it's been an experience. I've done pretty well so far, except that when Bowser does get jealous, what he will do is go to his bed, turn his back on all of us, and not come when called. Or if I go over there, he will not even respond to me though I'm petting him. I don't do it in a way that reinforces the behavior, I think. In fact I ignored it for a while , but he just got so angry that it was just getting worse! So I couldn't even try to ignore the bad behavior. He is not mad at the new dog, not mad at my husband, just at me. I'm the betrayer.
Today was a good day and he wagged and even sat next to me on the couch like he normally does, however most days have been touch & go, and he will completely ignore me. Even going so far as to sleep on my husband side of the bed versus mine. He's as bratty as a real child! I try to be very careful and only give him attention when he and the new dog (Finn) are together, or when he's good, & I do spend alone time with him, lavish affection Etc. however there are just those times! Does anyone have any advice? It's appreciated! Hope you all are doing well!

(They are best friends now, lol. At least that part is a success!)
Attached Thumbnails
New dog woes-1117172107-1_1513234884499.jpg   New dog woes-screenshot_2017-12-13-23-03-53-1_1513235076483.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Jealousy - the falacy!!

You do realise that dogs/hounds don't have the ability to be 'jealous' in the way humans are. What you are seeing is his way of telling you he's not at all happy about this incomer. You are putting how you think YOU'D feel about having to share into what he's doing. In fact dogs are opportunists, so if he sees anything, from food to affection, being handed out, he'll want some. Right now he doesn't know how to react to another dog, and a male? (what age) coming into his territory. Once you stop petting him, giving him attention which actually is reinforcing his current behaviour and correct the new dog if he oversteps the mark especially with your Basset, then with luck, he should settle down with the new canine companion.

Meanwhile, avoid/ prevent. Feed them separated, and if he's into toys, make sure the new dog doesn't grab them. Either could cause a fight or at least a confrontation.

I'd also suggest that now is the time to wean him off sleeping on your bed. This gives him the idea that he rules - wrong. YOU rule.

How does he show 'anger'? Biting, growling a warning?

Although Bassets should get along with pretty much any other dog, this isn't always the case and if having the new dog (puppy?) has upset the peace in your home, you may have to think again I'm afraid.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
You do realise that dogs/hounds don't have the ability to be 'jealous' in the way humans are.
there is no proof or indication that the can not. AS a matter of fact resent studies seem to indicate they can. Study: Dogs can feel jealous, too - CNN that said I do believe there is an equally viable alternative explanation for the behavior in the study. In that dogs learn that they are more likely to get petted when another dog is, give a humans sense of fairness. Such an explanation does not require any Anthropomorphism. Whether it is true or not when we tend to anthropomorphize dog behavior we make it harder to train a better new behavior.

I suggest reading Feeling Outnumbered book | Dog Training Book | Patricia McConnell

1.So nothing in his actual behavior you describe is problematic. other than you are not comfortable with it. He is not creating any problem, IMHO I think it is you that has the issue not the dog.

2. basset like elephants never forget. Many years ago we frequented a service station where the dog(s) got cookies and pets. The male for whatever reason was like the only basset hound in existence people tended to dismiss the female however garnered all kinds of attention. There was a new service attendent. We told him to go to the male first then the female. He did not listen went the the female first petting and talking to her while the male barked at him. and Would always bark at him when ever he saw him. Regardless of what he did afterward to prove his worthiness. Which is simply a long way of say changing the dogs feelings is not always possible. Some times you have to live with the consequences of that monumental moment that chages everything even if at the time you would thing it would be no big deal.

Last edited by Mikey T; 12-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2017, 04:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

It's absolutely true that I'm the most uncomfortable with his behavior, LOL. However because he does have a memory like a steel trap, I'm more concerned with making mistakes.
That was probably good advice to remove them from my bed, probably not going to happen, lol. What I deemed jealousy at first, is what most people would say is how two dogs are reacting to each other when a new dog is present. Which was what happened at first, however what I suppose I really mean is that I thought he was mad at me and resentful. He's done it before when we gone on vacation, but only for the first time in about 2 years ago. As we become more permanent like and didn't leave the house very much. He didn't like the change, and he let us know after getting excited and screaming to see us by turning his back on us and ignoring us for 2 days. It definitely is easier to say that he's mad, resentful, or jealous and to anthropomorphize, so that's what I say! Either way when I'm trying to go about doing is not making any grandiose mistakes that he will remember forever and, will change his behavior from now on. Actually yesterday and today, I left for a little while and when I came back he was so excited to see me he's been right by me ever since and he hasn't mind it at all when I petted the other dog and he's gone back to his normal behavior of being by my side. We gone through two rounds of this actually. The first round was what people would actually consider jealousy, basically hey don't put that dog I want petting, hey what's he doing here don't give him attention give me attention. This next level was startling to me because Bowser really does remember things, like us leaving and then him seeming to feel resentful. With this he was actually secluding himself from the family, especially me. I don't even know how to describe that in dog terms so basically it was easier to say. Either way I like book recommendations!
Then came to us at a little under 9 weeks, I think he's about 18 weeks now. Like I had said it wasn't planned for us to get a puppy now, but it worked out that way. Also, it was supposed to be a basset hound... But again. Bowser is just so sensitive to every little word, look, action. We have a Beagle named Daisy, and she couldn't care less! She is the lowest on the totem pole, and constantly tests Alpha, who is Bowser. Though she's smart, she's not very loving. She also has quite a bit of this. We like to say she's a coyote. With Bowser, he's just so vocal and so expressionate. I have often described him as a bride a two-year-old child. There's really no doggy comparison that I've been able to find.
But bleeding or defending, whether or not they seem to feel something like jealousy or resentment, either way I came here because I figured bass of people with most understands a sensitive dog having issues. And it seems as though the issues aren't really with the other dog, that has been settled, but with me. And no I really don't think I've been reinforcing the behavior, but thank goodness he's been good the past couple days! Weather anthropomorphisation or not, he still acted like a child and it was very difficult lol. It's definitely nice to have some advice though.

Perhaps a better question would have been then, to ask "my dog is showing his dislike at the current situation. We brought in a new puppy, and though he is fine with the puppy he seems to be displeased with us for the whole action of it. What can I do to help him learn to accept the situation, and to act normal again."
I still firmly believe that that question would be answered significantly different depending on the breed of dog. Bassett some do tend to be more connected, sensitive, and emotional! Many animals have been proven to show an emotion, dogs being some of the main ones tested. Lots and lots of info out there about it. And by far I can agree that facets! Supposedly shelties are supposed to be quite sensitive as well. I was worried they were going to get jealous of each other, or be displeased in emotion at each other for mine or my husband's affections. I hope this new Bowser attitude is a good sign!
Old 12-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sorry but jealousy is ONLY an unattractive HUMAN emotion. And owners see only what they THINK is jealousy when it's just a dog wanting what he sees being handed out, whatever it is, petting, or food or just contact. Dogs are opportunists. I can't be doing with books/articles produced by authors who just want to make money. I go by my own experience and observation, coupled with Common Sense.

I do agree however that Bassets have memories like elephants - which is why I try to have my new owners understand that their new puppy's life should be full of good experiences, not bad ones they'll never forget.

As said, if this new dog has upset the peace in your house, you may have to abandon having more than the one dog - much as Bassets should enjoy having canine company and it takes the pressure of you being their 'canine company' if you have more than one. I'd guarantee that owners usually move on to another (and another, and another in my case!) rather than just one. And usually more than one Basset! Once your boy sees you aren't for changing re this incomer, he'll most probably settle down. Again most dogs, never mind Bassets, want mum to be happy!!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
What can I do to help him learn to accept the situation, and to act normal again."
Not really anything. You can't change How a person choses to feel or a dog for that mattter. The best you can do is to give them no reason to feel angry etc. The best advice I can give is be consistent but Show that you love/care for him without being overbearing and pushy. If he chooses to shun you let him don't persue but when he does come to you treat it special.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Btw, Hi Mikey! I remember you : )
And I did just what you said...let him shun, maid it special when he's come to me. I'd been trying to be really consistent...and as of yesterday? As if he flipped a switch, he's back to normal! He got so bad for a while there...but I'm glad he seems to be more normal. Strange that it was so fast. I guess not though, I was trying to get that goal, lol
Advertisement