Wierd Poop Ritual - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2017, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wierd Poop Ritual

Our 12 week old pup has a weird thing he does when he poops. While he's pooping, he will spin in a circle, like if he's trying to see what's coming out his butt. So as a result, he will sometimes step on his fresh poop. ANyones else pup do this? Did they eventually just squat, poop and walk away. Our will smell his poop right after and sometimes will start to eat it so we have to grab him and pick it up right away or hell go back to it.
jbigmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbigmanx View Post
Our 12 week old pup has a weird thing he does when he poops. While he's pooping, he will spin in a circle, like if he's trying to see what's coming out his butt. So as a result, he will sometimes step on his fresh poop. ANyones else pup do this? Did they eventually just squat, poop and walk away. Our will smell his poop right after and sometimes will start to eat it so we have to grab him and pick it up right away or hell go back to it.
Yes to the latter with some which means I'm out there ready to pick up asap. Never to the former however.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

It could be nothing, but I would check his anal glands. If it's causing some sort of sensation when it comes out of his bum, then that might make him take a bigger interest in it. And because he's a puppy, everything goes in the mouth! I would definitely try to stop him from that habit ASAP! If he's perhaps squeezing too hard, that might make him turn around. I would definitely check the consistency of poop too it should be normal turd looking, kind of solid but kind of fluffy. If it's anything other than that, I would go ahead and Google it and see if it's a nutrition problem. Also I'm not sure when you got him, but at that age he might have worms. That could cause a tickle on his bum, and when he turns around to figure it out he decides to take a sniffing a lick and might as well take a jump! And then also, he's reinfecting himself if he has Giardia, or worms. I was just take a good look maybe check his anal glands, and when he's out there pooping, try to look and see if anything else comes out. Also you can start doing the wifey thing. He may turn and poop and then just snatching up and wipe his butt! He may just not like the sensation. Good luck!
Advertisement