Fussy eater - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2017, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Fussy eater

I have a one year old male who is a very fussy eater. He started on Wellness but got bored and stopped eating it. Fromm was next and i add sweet potato, mackeral and or high quality canned food but generally is not interested. I have spoken to the vet and it seems like if you have a fussy eater this is what you experience. No issues medically, he just went to the vet for full blood work . He does have anal gland problems; we had had to express them once a month over the last 2 months. Any suggestions on food or ideas to get him more interested?
dececcowalsh@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2017, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Fussy eaters are created not born that way. When a dog is hungry it will eat. They will not starve themselves as long as they are healthy.

this is how it happen dog is not hungry does not eat owner add something to make it better. Happen over and over again do learns/discovers by not eating at first I get something better later. ie fussy eater

Put the food down pick it up after 10 minutes. don't offer any food till next meal time. keep repeating dog will eat may take a few day though. before they catch on there is a new rule when it comes to food.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

teaching your dog to eat

Teaching Your Dog to Eat | Mind to Mind

add'l threads

http://www.basset.net/boards/introdu...sy-eaters.html

http://www.basset.net/boards/general...ing-right.html
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2017, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Regarding anal gland problems: my last basset Murray had chronic anal gland problems, impacted, infection, etc. until I started adding a big spoon of plain canned pumpkin to every meal. Don't know if it will help your dog, but may be worth a try.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Totally agree with Mikey's comment.
Can seem cruel, but you have to remain strong.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

As long as the hound is physically well, you simply have to get firm with him. Use a good quality food, listing meat, or fish as the main incredient, and put his food down at the regular meal-times (I urge you to split his daily amount into two meals to help avoid the risk of Bloat) and if he doesn't eat up within a reasonable time, or walks away, pick it up and refrigerate it until the next mealtime. Ditto and bin what's left at the end of the day. I'm not sure I'd be adding much other than as we do, a little tinned meat mixed in at the time of serving. And try adding a bit of warm, not hot, water to the bowl to bring out the flavour and smell.

Most healthy dogs won't starve themselves to collapse. And NO TREATS during the time you are doing all this - he needs to be hungry. Does he eat up the extras you are adding.... if so he's not 'hungry'!

If he sees you are prepared to pander to his being picky, he'll continue to play you.

As for the anal glands, these will be a problem if his stool isn't firm. Often during periods of loosneness, or diarrhoea, they become impacted and often infected. They are scent glands and never meant to be empty so manually draining them will only mean they fill up again, and unless the stool isn't correct, so the problem continues. Working as they should, they should express a small amount of the 'fluid' in them, every time a good stool is passed. If there is infection needing treatment (a/bs) the gland(s) should be packed, the a/bs not given orally which doesn't necessarily work. Sometimes a different a/b is needed to hit the infection too. As a last resort these glands may have to be removed BUT that's to be avoided as it's a nasty op. From experience with one of mine.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It's perfectly normal at this age for them to eat less as their growth is slowing down. Generally, unless it is sick, if the dog doesn't want to eat it's simply because it's not hungry.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement