Deciding on a Basset HELP! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2017, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deciding on a Basset HELP!

All,

I am deciding whether or not to buy a Basset for myself and my girlfriend for our 1 year anniversary. From what I've read, they fit our personality perfectly and would be the best addition to our relationship. My hesitation is that we live on a third floor apartment and will be there until February, where we will relocate to a house. Another hesitation I have is we both work Monday - Friday 9-5 jobs and I am not sure how he will act while we are out. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
jdez24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdez24 View Post
All,

I am deciding whether or not to buy a Basset for myself and my girlfriend for our 1 year anniversary. From what I've read, they fit our personality perfectly and would be the best addition to our relationship. My hesitation is that we live on a third floor apartment and will be there until February, where we will relocate to a house. Another hesitation I have is we both work Monday - Friday 9-5 jobs and I am not sure how he will act while we are out. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
I hate to pour cold water on your plans but take it from me, Bassets do NOT do well living a solitary life. And further, much as you are intending to move to a house, if you get him before then, with neighbours within hearing distance, they willl quickly be at your door with complaints!! A lonely Basset will howl and be messing indoors/destructive.

I badly wanted a Basset BUT we didn't get our first until we could afford for me to stop working full time, which I did for 6 months, going back, part-time after that. He went back to messing indoors. I ended up taking him with me and left him in the car. I worked for 3 hours over the lunch-time period so the other staff went up to take him out for walks and check on him for me. Somehow summers during that period in the UK, were never hot and the carpark was shaded too. He was fine but as soon as it was possible for me to stop working at all, I did. And then got a second hound ... and so the story began!

If you live in an apartment now, one that's not on the ground floor with a private enclosed area to use before all his shots are done, you'll have a big problem. Basset puppies are HEAVY and you'll be carrying him up and down to the outside to get housetraining sorted out - every couple of hours during the day (but then you'll be out!!) and at least once overnight.

I think you need to delay this idea. Sorry.

ps The only time I sold a puppy to people who worked full time was when, after refusing, they came back having arranged for what sounded like the entire street to be involved with being with him when they weren't. I relented. Whether they were being truthful or not, I don't know.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

There are Basset that are just fine being single dogs but you
Can not tell this as puppy. Getting an adult from a rescue and you should be able to find one the relishes or is fine being a single dog.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Stairs are an issue with puppies and some older adult. But not an issue for the majority of adults.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi, hopefully someone on here can provide me with their thoughts on this. I have always loved Basset Hounds and am looking to buy one for my family ( I have to kids aged 9 and 12). I am a home owner with a decent sized garden, however I work Monday to Friday (although I am able to work from home one day a week) and my wife works Tuesday to Thursday.

Our house has a secure two levelled garden and a large garage, the current thinking was that for the two days we were in work we would put the dog in the garage (with a radio playing and access to the garden), but wanted the experienced views from people who own these dogs as we wouldn't want to do anything that would potentially upset the dog and if the view was that this wasn't a viable / safe option then we obviously wouldn't go ahead.

Unfortunately, neither me or my wife are in a position to reduce our hours, so the dog would be alone from 8.10 until 15.30 on the days in question.

I'd appreciate any views on this matter. Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.
bwlmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Again my whole feeling about this (garage with access to the garden?) is no. A lonely bored Basset willl make NOISE and unless you intend to clear your garage, there's way too much in most garages that could be outright dangerous for any dog (particularly a puppy!). Ideally no dog, and especially the Basset, shouldn't be left alone for longer than 4 hours or thereabouts, on a regular basis. Puppies for way less than that if housetraining is to be managed! There is also the possibility he could be stolen, perhaps to order. When a purebred dog especially is left alone for hours and it becomes known, it's all too easy for them to be a target, perhaps held to ransom for drug money or worse. If left, he needs to be indoors and safe.

You might consider having somebody come in during the time you are both out or a day creche where at least he'd have company! Bearing in mind YOU should be the people to be doing the training, with a puppy. The Basset is a pack hound and in place of his canine pack, you become his pack and without that, he will be miserable. Some tolerate such a life of course, but it's not ideal. If we couldn't have afforded for me to stop working full time, which I did for 6 months before going back part-time (3 hours in the middle of the day), there'd have been no Basset, or any other dog.

On a more positive note, your children should be of the right age to take part in having a Basset (puppy?). And if this will be a puppy, somebody has to be there to give him lunch, if nothing else.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hi FranksMum,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, it was a puppy that I was looking to get. We deliberately held off looking for dogs until my kids were old and responsible enough to play a part in its upbringing.

I had hoped that a Basset would be manageable based on our working patterns, however based on your reply this doesn't look like an option. I'll have to delay my dream of owning a Basset until I'm realistically able to retire (which is still 20 years off). Until then I'll look at sponsoring a local charity that cares for abandoned dogs as I wouldn't want to consider any other breed.

Take care and thanks.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwlmog View Post
Hi FranksMum,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, it was a puppy that I was looking to get. We deliberately held off looking for dogs until my kids were old and responsible enough to play a part in its upbringing.

I had hoped that a Basset would be manageable based on our working patterns, however based on your reply this doesn't look like an option. I'll have to delay my dream of owning a Basset until I'm realistically able to retire (which is still 20 years off). Until then I'll look at sponsoring a local charity that cares for abandoned dogs as I wouldn't want to consider any other breed.

Take care and thanks.
You are very welcome! After I write I often think how 'down' on an idea that was But although they are all different and it's maybe dangerous to be too general, this is nevertheless, a pack animal and being alone could mean you do run into problems. Better to be aware than sorry eh.

With our first, who I'd waited and waited for after spending the first 6 months at home full time, getting him 'housetrained', I went back to working 3 hours a day, in the Bank I'd worked for before, subbing on the tills through the lunch hours. Harvey went back to .... peeing round the house. Housetrained? Hum. In the end I took him with me, left him in the car under cover and the other staff used to either sit with him or take him for a stroll. He was happy as Larry but as soon as I could stop working again, for good, I did. And then came the second Basset....... etc.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

1. any puppy that is initially asked to hold it for 8 hours is going to be difficult to house train unless some arrangements are made i.e Coming home at lunch . employing a dog walking service etc.

2. We have sold man single bassets to working households some in urban settings very successfully but before doing so we make sure they have a plan; as above, doggie daycare etc. and the mean s to carry it out.

3. Getting an adult dog with a known temperament that can tolerate being alone is a sure fire way to avoid the issue. but when dealling with puppies is is much more of a crap shoot.

4 . whiles bassets are certainly social creature and tend to suffer separation anxiety at a higher rate than other breed or dogs in general it is still a pretty small minority that do. There certainly is an elevated risk but nothing close to 50/50
Old 01-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Since my initial disappointment I have found a local business that runs a dog crèche which includes indoor assault courses and a dog hotel (South Wales, UK). I’m going to visit there in there in the next few days to look at the set up, speak to staff and some of the customers that use it. But this could be an option it’s roughly £30 for two days which on a cost basis is certainly manageable.

Hopefully there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement