Difficult situation with Basset not allowing me to clean his ears. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
rrl

Default Difficult situation with Basset not allowing me to clean his ears.

Has this happened to you? Can you recommend a course of action?

I have a 10 year old Basset that has constant ear infections due to the dirt it accumulates in his ears. If I had known this would happen I would have trained him to let me clean his ears him since he was a pup . Now, it's too late. The dog would just refuse to let me clean his ears, he threatens to bite me and he did twice. He won't even let me put a muzzle on him. I have tried positive reinforcement by getting him used to the muzzle by giving him a treat when he let's me put the muzzle on his mouth. He does let me put the muzzle but when he realizes that I am about to tighten the straps he starts fighting and tries to bite me. So positive reinforcement does not work because he knows what happens after I put the muzzle on him. He won't even allow me to inspect his ears. He would start showing his teeth. Problem is while I am trying positive reinforcement the dogs ears are getting worse and worse along the days. He has associated the muzzle or touching of his ears with the bad experience of cleaning them and that's it.
I have thought that for the benefit of the dog I would use an e-collar just for the moment I need to put the muzzle on him. That is, if he actually attacks me and bites me (I am using protective gloves). Not if he shows me his teeth only. I would give him a mild shock to stop him the moment he is biting my gloves. When he lets me put the muzzle and strap it and is calm, I would praise him and give him a treat. I would only be using the collar in this particular situation and for nothing else. And limited to the moment he attacks my gloves in a frenzied way Could this work? Thanks for your opinion.
rrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2017, 06:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

This is a dog you've been trying to find a new home for/considered drugs to calm him? All I can say - two things.....
1. You can't rehome a dog that's fear biting, which is what this poor boy seems to be doing. Backed into a corner, he bites
2. If these ears are badly infected, get your vet to deal with whatever is going on - they and their staff are trained re how to handle difficult patients provided they are warned there might be trouble.
3. If the ears are badly infected, they MUST be treated as feeling the pain involved won't make your hound any sweeter to deal with!
4. I'm afraid I don't understand why any Basset Rescue/Welfare wouldn't be involved in a true case where a hound can't be kept any longer?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

No no no no no! PLEASE DO NOT USE A SHOCK COLLAR ON YOUR DOG. The worst thing you can do to an aggressive dog is SHOCK him, it will make the issue x10 worse and you WILL get bit!

At this point you need to hire a professional trainer, it doesn't sound like you have the neccesary skills to handle this dog right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
dirtonaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtonaut View Post
No no no no no! PLEASE DO NOT USE A SHOCK COLLAR ON YOUR DOG. The worst thing you can do to an aggressive dog is SHOCK him, it will make the issue x10 worse and you WILL get bit!

At this point you need to hire a professional trainer, it doesn't sound like you have the neccesary skills to handle this dog right now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
You MUST find a trainer, if this is what you have to do, who KNOWS BASSETS. You do NOT approach 'training' a Basset in the same way as other dogs. It's all about applied psychology. Coming to a mutual agreement with what has to be done. You are backing the dog into a proverbial corner and of course he's biting. That so very sad.

With all of this, if push comes to shove and he won't let you sort out his ears, you'll simply have to take him to your vet and get him to examine, diagnose and treat what's going on. I had a difficult boy, our first, re nails and had to admit defeat and get my vet to do them while I had him up on the table, in a 'hammer lock'. Because I couldn't afford to take him in weekly, his nails were always longer lthan they should ideally have been. After him, bless him , I worked hard on our second hound from the day we had him at 10 weeks, so I didn't have the same fight with him that I did with Harvey.

Add - He did mellow into old age and allowed me to deal with his nails, at home.

Last edited by FranksMum; 12-05-2017 at 07:41 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement