Puppy eating everything off the ground - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy eating everything off the ground

Just another question, I know she's a puppy, puppies eat everything. I had to remove all of my potted plants which are the majority of my plants because I like them to be movable. The rest are all going to get dug up and put in pot and moved out of my yard, as I don't want her to get anything toxic. I've looked them all up, the majority seems to be okay but I'm not taking any chances. She is going on 15 weeks old. My biggest concern is she likes to put rocks in her mouth and chew on them and just roll them around in her mouth. They are like quarter size and smaller. I cannot just move everything out of my yard. I need the rock because of all the rain we have where we live. I'm constantly checking her poop to make sure she's going and that it looks okay. I'm really scared she's going to swallow one or two or more. my last Basset mix used to put rocks in her mouth and just carry them in the house and just drop them. I would like to know if this is a basset thing? And I know to watch for signs in case she does swallow one. Plus I did get insurance for her as she is definitely a handful. I need to know if somebody can tell me what to do if she is choking on something? I probably need to take a CPR class for puppies or dogs. It's like I have to follow her everywhere she goes when she's outside. Any help will be appreciated thank you
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a renown rock aficionado. Doesn't limit her interests to rocks either. You can research this site on how she earned her nickname 3k.

As I write this I am outside with her (and the other two) with a pocket full of kibble to offer as a treat for getting her to drop the rock/buckeye nut, whatever she is trying to eat.

Mine are such they cannot be outside unsupervised. Even on leashed walks they find something to pick up along the way. They readily drop it for a morsel of treat.

I have had to induce vomiting when she swallowed the buckeye.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Otto did that from about 8 weeks old to a year and a half- he was like a vacume cleaner in our backyard the minute his feet touched the grass. He ate leaves grass plants mulch dirt sticks, bark directly off the tree, etc.- ended up with severe gastric problems on antibiotics.

I tried distracting him with chew toys and bully sticks, and fenced in all my flower beds. Nothing distracted him from his obsession. When he started carrying rocks around we got him an Italian basket muzzle to wear in the backyard. He ate through 5 or them and learned how to scoop stuff through the grate, but they helped alot.
He suddenly stopped vacuming after about a year.
Here is where we ordered the Italian basket muzzles in case you're interested:
Morrco Pet Supply, Mansfield La., Dog supplies, collars, muzzles and harnesses for dogs and cats . If you have questions about size or anything else you can call the woman who owns the company at the listed number and she can help you.

Last edited by murraysmom; 09-28-2017 at 09:10 AM.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the info. Seems like a basset thing or just that basset puppies are just over active. I've never had a puppy this fast and active. I'm guessing they have all this energy as puppies, since they slow way down to doing almost nothing as they get older
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement