Eating issues - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Eating issues

I'm new to basset hounds. My Noelani is just over 14 weeks old. Had some health issues to start with. The breeding people, I don't want to say breeders, because they were not legitimate breeders. They had the pups on puppy chow. She didn't have a problem eating it but she wasn't gaining any weight. So I'm in the process of switching her to Blue puppy food. She eats three times a day and sometimes a small amount just before bed plus her treats. I also decided to switch her because she kept eating her poop. so we are about a week into the switch. She stopped eating her poop but now she does not want to eat her midday food. I will save it for her for dinner. She did want a dog biscuit but I don't want to start that. so does anybody think that it's because she's getting the nutrients she needs now and won't need as much food? She's been getting about 3 cups of food a day total with treats and all. Three quarters three times a day. Then about 1/3 - 1/2 just before bed. She is now at 19 pounds. Started out at 9 pounds when I got her at almost 9 weeks old. She was 18 lbs a week ago. She was looking very Ribby and sucked in. But is looking much better now. She came to me with very bad roundworms, giardia, and a UTI. She does not have any of those anymore after all of the vet trips I've made. I'm hoping that somebody thinks that she's just getting better food and that's why she doesn't want her lunch. she always cries when she's hungry and she's not doing that. She is still confined to my yard only and I do not ever put her down anywhere, at the Vets either. As I was not sure she got all of her vaccines when they were due since you was sick when I got her and they had not worned her correctly. Plus no vet record, just thier word they gave them. I got her on August 18th, there were 12 puppies, two litters. I informed the owners of the problem she had and he was just in denial and said there was no way any of their puppies had any of that. So I ran across another lady that got a puppy last weekend. according to what she was told her puppy was born the same day as mine so should have been one of my puppies siblings. The puppies were born on the 16th and the 18th, 8 for the first litter and 3 for the second. Hers Ended up with parvo and in the hospital for a few days. She almost lost her but she is home and doing much better thank God. She got hers about 5 weeks after i got mine. Her and I both tried to inform the owners and people that may have got a puppy, on the website where we got her from. The owners are still denying it and the website on Facebook deleted my post and blocked me. Anyway enough of me blabbing about that, so my pup has one more vaccine with parvo and then her rabies, already got the bordetella and then hopefully I will be able to start taking her out for walks on the beach or on the trails. so anyway if somebody can let me know about the eating if this is or seems to be normal for a basset puppy? She seems fine besides that. Thank you in advance
Nola is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2017, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

general for us they start on 4 meals a day when they start skipping it goes to three and they will start skipping the third it goes to two. IfI recall correctly most are on two at 6 months. She might be a bit earlier than normal but the behavior is not abnormal or unexpected.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement