Tumor - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tumor

I'm very concerned since my 4 1/2 year old was diagnosed with a tumor in his ear. The vet will be removing on Tuesday. I'm scared that it will be cancerous can anybody share similar experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

grace has a lump on her ear. has there been a suspicious biopsy?
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

No thanks for your response. Crosby has since had it removed - guess it was fatty tumor. Not cancerous!!! Yay!!! Iím afraid heíll get another tho - is this common for bassets and is there anything we can do to prevent them from growing back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Fatty tumors ie lipomas and cysts are common in the breed. Appear to be somewhat genetic. Currently there is no known cure or preventive measure. Most of the time they do not bother the dog. You can have a fine needle biopsy to determine if a lump is cancerous without having to surgically remove the lump and avoid the risks that entails.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Crosby View Post
is this common for bassets and is there anything we can do to prevent them from growing back?
I wish!! Over the years, bearing in mind all our home-breds came from the same foundation stock, although most of our breeding was to outside, none-directly related stud dogs, we've had some who'd produce these and more who didn't. We had a brother and sister who we kept, she was covered with them, he had not one! We learnt to leave well alone unless they grew significantly, in a 'difficult place'. So inherited ??

Our current boy has many too, a couple of have recently let go, meaning a course of antibiotics.

I have absolutely no idea why these happen with some and not with others although one vet we used in the past suggested this was down to some being more 'oily' than others.

Fact is as long as they aren't nasties, it's best to leave alone, much as sometimes they don't look 'pretty'!!

ps My home-breds, one into adulthood, were all fed the same maintenance diet. My current hound is on a fish and potato diet (after coming to us early days with Giardia. Maybe the 'fish' content has caused this problem in him?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement