Opinions from basset hound owners - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Opinions from basset hound owners

I'm looking for some opinions from basset hound owners if you think a basset hound would work in my near-future living situation. I've wanted one for a while. Here's my situation: I'll be graduating college soon and moving to a house that has a fenced in backyard about 100x75 feet. My thought is to get a puppy and be with him all the time for the first 6ish months. Eventually I'm going to have a full time job and obviously wouldn't be able to be with him all day during the week. I'll be the only one living in the house so when I'm not there he would be alone. I'll have neighbors on each side of my house (referring to potential noise issues from a basset hound left alone). During the weekends I would be him all the time and take him hiking/fishing (if he'll go) and to the dog park. Days I have work I would be able to walk him in the morning afternoon and after work. Probably having 3-4 hours dedicated to him on a work day and 12 hours dedicated to him on a saturday or Sunday. It really comes down to is a basset hound is ok alone for some hours during the day while I work? Would being with him essentially 24/7 the first 6 months and then starting a job and not being there as much be bad? I know they can get separation anxiety sometimes. I am pretty active and love the outdoors but also love to just sit on the couch and watch sports a good amount too. Any opinions if you think a basset hound would be good for me or not or personal stories related would be appreciated! Also, I've had family dogs before but never my own dog
Wch8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm afraid Basset Hounds do NOT do well living a solitary life. They are a pack hound and in the absence of a canine pack, YOU become their pack so finding himself alone, will produce howling and maybe destruction. Had we not been able for me not to work full time at one point, there would have been no dog - let alone a Basset. I do believe that no dog should be expected to live a solitary life, alone during the working week. Some will put up with that kind of situation, many don't.

Case in point. We lived with attached neighbours to one side and one evening went round for a visit. Halfway through the evening we heard a terrible noise coming from next door - when I asked what that was, I was told 'it's your hound! Hum, awkward.

It might be possible for you to have a Basset but you will have to have somebody take over when you are out, or find him a good day creche.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"My thought is to get a puppy and be with him all the time for the first 6ish months. Eventually I'm going to have a full time job and obviously wouldn't be able to be with him all day during the week. "

most people would think this is a good Idea but it actual can exacerbate separation anxiety . Basset being highly social are more prone to it than other breeds. One reason the are typical fewer one dog homes with bassets.
https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default...d-problems.pdf
"What Can Trigger Problems?
Separation-related problems are often triggered by some sort of life change, for example rehoming,
a stay at a boarding kennel, a death of a key family member, or a major change in
routine, such as months of the owner being home all day followed by sudden eight-hour
absences.

Symptoms to look for include excessive and/or distressed vocalization and behavior,
destruction, and house soiling. "

rather than a puppy I would be looking for an older rescue/rehome dog that has shown it does fine with being an only dog.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

I agree Basset's need companionship​. Will not be happy otherwise. If you again afford a good doggie care or sitter than perhaps that could help.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
hannahleebyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement