So how long is house-training... really? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2017, 11:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default So how long is house-training... really?

Hi,

I am looking to welcome my first basset puppy soon. I am in contact with several breeders who might have puppies to place in the coming weeks. Some have been evaluating the dogs for show and will only have 5-month old puppies. Others will have some at 10 weeks old.

I am trying to decide between those 2 alternatives and house-training will be the game changer.
- If I take a 5-months old, the puppy will actually be quite grown but very quick to train, if even needed.
- If I go with a 10-weeks old, I get more of the "puppy" factor but I might have to leave her in daycare until she is house-trained and can come to work with me.

So how long does it usually take for a 10-week old puppy to be house-trained with crate training? I have seen some "mine took so long..." or "mine was so quick" but I am not sure how to evaluate this in "weeks"
Note that I am not looking for the 100% mark. I just need an idea for when she will not have accidents during the day at work if I take her out every 2 hours. If it is not perfect at home or during the night it is not an issue since it doesn't bother my coworkers.
This would help me greatly to decide which age is a better option for me because I don't think I would like to leave my puppy in daycare for tool long...

Thank you all in advance for your help!
seattelite_basset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

'some take about 3 weeks." LMAO

1. I have never seen a basset I would consider house trained under 6 months of age. IMHO they are much slower to gain the sphincter control necessary compared to other breeds

2. "I just need an idea for when she will not have accidents during the day at work if I take her out every 2 hours".

A. this is not remotely close to being housetrained it is all about creating a schedule so accidents are prevented This can be done at any age you are acquiring the puppy.

b. the two hour schedual IMHO is a big mistake espeical with a young puppy. it is not anywhere close to a normal puppy routine. You need to schedule play time, sleep feeding and eliminations into the dogs natural circadian clock. I find for most dog this ranges between 3-5 hours with the bigest sector being sleep
wake up outside, eat outside play minimium 3o minutes outside every 10-15 minutes sleep. Imho the problem with puppies at work is not about house training. but adequate playtime without being a total distraction to the rest of the empoyees

3. It is not about the age of the pup but rather the environment it was raised and the presence /exposure/use of a schedule. A 12 week old pup live in a house with a schedule is going to be easier to house train than a five month old that has lived in kennel without a fairly ridged schedule. which has to unlearn a ton of bad habits.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default How long is a piece of string!!

Literally. By 4 months, I'd expect a healthy Basset to be able to hold pretty much through the night. However, if I'm honest, I'd not say ANY of mine is 100% housetrained. I'd not expect an adult to hold for much over 4 hours during the waking daytime. Overnight they are not moving around or eating/drinking. So no need to empty!

This is totally about how good YOU are at getting your hound to understand what you want. And in that, probably buying a puppy with no 'baggage' would be best. If you buy an older dog, yes he may/should be physically able to hold, but you may be looking at 'untraining' what's been allowed and going back to puppy one! My current hound came to us at 4 months, having been run on by his owner. I gave him the benefit of the doubt, taking him out every couple of hours at first and once overnight. I quickly discovered he could hold, and did.

I have NEVER used a crate to housetrain. This isn't what they were intended for - just for a safe place to put a puppy when you can't be right there to supervise, to keep him safe and out of mischief. Older dogs don't normally mess where they sleep, but until a puppy, again physically, CAN hold and starts to learn what holding means, he will just empty wherever he is, crate or elsewherer.

You have identified the pro of getting a puppy - a clean slate. And the con with an older dog... missing the puppy fun but having a dog with a stronger bladder!

This really is up to you. And I can't give you a time frame, sorry.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2017, 01:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know I'm about to make MikeyT laugh again

Ours were very fast and straightforward to train. We also "cross trained" on pee pee pads (again sorry mikeyT . I do concede from these posts ours appear to have been the exception rather than the rule
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

my girl is now 4 months and sleeps through the night and only has accidents if I'm not on it regularly (if i'm cooking and not paying attention). We crate at night and if we leave the house any longer than 30 minutes. We limited her space during the day (ie to the living room with no carpet only) and then we will expand it as she has less and less accidents (now she gets living room and kitchen). My boy took a little longer to get it down fully. He still had accidents occasionally up till about 6 months but only like once a month.
shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all for the messages.
I am picking up my 12-week old puppy tomorrow. (in the end the 5 month old wasn't available anymore so decision was made for me....easy).
She will go in daycare for the first few days before we get the rabies vaccine and she can come to the office. I visited the daycare and they will keep her own playpen next to the reception desk and take her out every 2 hours or when needed. + It's next to my office so I can come take her out during lunch. I was a little apprehensive about leaving her in daycare right away but the people and the puppies I have seen really put my mind at ease.

Thank you all for your help!
seattelite_basset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattelite_basset View Post
Thank you all for the messages.
I am picking up my 12-week old puppy tomorrow. (in the end the 5 month old wasn't available anymore so decision was made for me....easy).
She will go in daycare for the first few days before we get the rabies vaccine and she can come to the office. I visited the daycare and they will keep her own playpen next to the reception desk and take her out every 2 hours or when needed. + It's next to my office so I can come take her out during lunch. I was a little apprehensive about leaving her in daycare right away but the people and the puppies I have seen really put my mind at ease.

Thank you all for your help!
Isn't rabies given closer to 4 months than 12 weeks? Will she have any of the other core vaccination shots because rather than taking her before she can be with you, why not have the breeder hold onto her and give her the other shots, eg. Parvo, Leptovirus, Distemper, Hep. etc.?

Just me being maybe, too soft, but I'd hate to bring a puppy away from everything they know to what will be a 'temporary home'. A Basset is a sensitive creature and what might work with other puppies re what they cope with, may not work with a Basset.

Last edited by FranksMum; 10-14-2017 at 06:48 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'd agree that 12 weeks is way too early for rabies.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Both of you are correct but I believe a couple of states require rabies at 3 month. It is very likely that they still possess immunity from colostrum in which case the vaccine fails and the dog is not protected.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
Both of you are correct but I believe a couple of states require rabies at 3 month. It is very likely that they still possess immunity from colostrum in which case the vaccine fails and the dog is not protected.
The consequences of passing laws not based on fact.....
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement