Long road trip - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Long road trip

So Ears is now almost 4 months old we are heading back to our home town for a wedding next weekend, we plan on taking her its a 12 hour car ride to get their she is pretty good in the car but any advice on how to make the trip run smoothly would be great
Earsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017, 05:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

We regularly travel 6 hrs plus with ours and takes trip your length and longer at least once or twice a year.

Potty break it is best to keep on the dogs normal schedule whatever that is same for meals. We try and coordinate that with our own stops for meal and or fuel.

I highly recommend having the dog in a crate when traveling It add one more layer of protection in case of an accident. Also for emergency stop in hot weather you can padlock the crate and leave doors and windows open Especial in this day and age when people have no compunction against breaking into dogs in "hot cars" that were in no actual physical danger until the window was smashed,
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice I will have to see if our crate fits in the car set up not to sure it will but I did get a hammock seat cover and a harness seat belt for her if not.

Good advice on potty break we take her every two hours now so that will hopefully work, traveling northern Ontario highways sucks for rest stops and such but I'm going to try and make the best of it.

I currently have a leash that retracts but thinking of getting a regular lead to have on her instead. I feel like a totally paranoid puppy parent but want this to be positive for both her and us.

Old 07-30-2017, 04:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes. Definitely a crate! It allows them to travel much more safely, and to stretch out during the trip if needed - and you can also buy a non-spill water bowl to put in the crate. After our first Basset, we had to let our then MG Midget go in favour of what we call an Estate Car .... Station Wagon! That hurt but anything for my Basset's comfort eh.

I imagine you have a/c in your car but be warned, all too often I travel behind a car full of people, baggage etc., with the dog right in the back, in the full sun, panting heavily while the others are sitting in cool comfort. So you may need to cover the crate!

Obviously frequent stops will be needed - probably as many as you need for comfort breaks. Normally once the engine note is constant, dogs settle down for a nap.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

Bowser was 13 weeks when he and I drove from Southern California to Eastern Oregon, to stay with my family for a month. He did great! We played, then he slept for a long time. I kept to his usual schedule. If he happened to be asleep, i'd let him sleep (unless it really was time for him to eat on his normal time) then I'd wake him up, pull over, feed him, potty, go for a little run on the leash, then back to the car. He was really a very good baby boy! If you have to stop, just make sure there's water for him, a little run to get out some energy and NP!
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

We'll be driving 6 hours from PA to Maine with our brand new basset puppy...and 3 teenagers and a 4-year-old. Makes me think I should bring my own car.
Sophie&Rileysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey guys sorry its been a while, just wanted to update you all on how Ears did, she slept for the full 12 hours unless we stopped for her to have a pee and a drink, she did so well we were even able to stop at monuments along the highway and get her photo with them it was a very successful trip and makes me feel much better about traveling with her now.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Kool

getting them use to CAR rides during the critical socialization period is key to having a dog that is a good car passenger.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement