Potty Training Forgotten?? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2017, 01:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Potty Training Forgotten??

Hi all,
We have a 6yr old girl named Savanna. We rescued her when she was 2. For some reason lately she has stopped doing her business (#1) out in the grass in our fenced in yard. She would go to some decorative stone we have just off the back porch. I figured maybe she was smelling something there and tried using a garden hose to wash the stone off and attempt to eliminate the smell. Of course, that didn't work. Next I tried blocking her out of the area by putting up some chicken wire fence. She has now shifted to the cement back porch just outside the door! It's almost as if she is afraid of the grass all the sudden. She still likes to run and lay in the sun in the grass though. We have not changed anything out back to confuse her either. Is she still smelling something that she is trying to mark herself? Is there something to use to eliminate any smells that remain in the area?

Thank You
KnightRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy
Quote:
Go to the place where you want him to eliminate, and be as boring as possible. Stay in one place. This is not a walk for sniffing and exploring.

Use commands for elimination. I use a different word for each function, "Quickly" for urinate, and "Hurry up!" for defecate. You can choose your own words, just be sure they are not words used in everyday conversation, or at least have a unique way of saying it. One friend of mine uses "Zoom" for urinate. Each function uses different muscle groups so they are different behaviors. Say "Quickly!" repeatedly until the pup urinates. It becomes a habit for both of you, and soon you will only need to say it once and he will go immediately. This is the ONLY TIME I recommend saying a command repeatedly in training.

If you are clicker training, click and treat (c/t) as the urine stream ends. The click ends the behavior. OVER-REACT with joy when the pup goes. WOW!! Good Boy! Aren't you wonderful!! in a high pitched very happy voice. Be a clown for your puppy! Make him believe you think he is incredible for eliminating outside. Give him a treat and toss a ball or play chase or let him walk around and explore. You want him to learn that first he urinates, then the fun begins.

Since this is such an important part of training your pet, we use triple rewards, Praise, Treat and Play. Eventually he will go before you say the command. This is great!

The behavior behind this training: Dogs develop substrate preferences for eliminating. By substrate, I mean what they feel under their feet. In their first few weeks of life they need their mother to lick them to stimulate elimination. Around 4 weeks of age they begin to control this themselves. It is a self-rewarding behavior because it feels good. They associate this good feeling with the environment they are in at the time. This is about the same time they are walking well enough to go outside. If they are taken outside enough, several times a day, during this period of development (4 through 8 weeks) they will associate the good feeling of relieving themselves with the grass under their feet, the sky above, and all the smells and sounds of the outdoors. The tactile experience, the texture under the feet, becomes the cue.
For what ever reason the substrate preference for her is hard. many bassets do not like getting there feet wet it is possible it started there. The hard surfaces are dry. Need to retrain for grass the following tip should help

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Potty Training Tip
Quote:
Ok, here's a great little trick I picked up while fostering an 8 week old greyhound puppy last summer. Get an x-pen, also called a puppy pen or an exercise pen. They're small pens made of heavy metal wire fencing. They give the pup an area not too much bigger than a large crate, and they sit right on the ground. Set up the x-pen in a grassy area with nothing else on the ground inside it, use a few tent stakes to stake it to the ground so it can't be knocked over if the pup jumps up against it, and put her inside. She doesn't come out to sniff, or play or go inside, until she goes potty. As soon as she goes potty, out she comes with much rejoicing, apply treats to puppy liberally, and then it's play/explore time, or whatever else she wants to do. Her reward for pottying is to get out of "potty prison". It worked pretty well for the little boy I fostered last summer--he had nothing in the pen to distract him from business at hand, and he *really* wanted out so he learned to get to work in a hurry
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement