Considering adding a puppy to the family - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Considering adding a puppy to the family

I recently became the owner of a retired show dog. I live alone and am home full time. He is recently neutered; a 3 year old male. Extremely gentle. Almost overly laid-back. I wish he had a little more "fire" in him. I've only had him for 6 weeks. He comes from a reputable breeder and is used to a multitude of fellow Bassets, so perhaps he is somewhat lonely. They wanted a good home for their dog, and I've had 2 Bassets in the past which I adored. But I'm thinking that another Basset would liven him up and give him some additional "canine" companionship. Although I am home full time, I have the feeling that he is somewhat homesick. I had been considering a puppy before I got this adult male. I am in line to receive a 12 week old male puppy 6 weeks from now. I am debating whether I should, or shouldn't get a new puppy. I know they are a lot of work. But I've been through puppy training 6 times in the past, so it is not new for me. I'm somewhat on the fence. I'm wondering if adding a Basset puppy to the household would liven up my current Basset, and make him feel more at home. I just want the best for my dog. So, in my case, would 2 Bassets be better than the one? And I mean better for my current dog. My current Basset gets along with every other dog and human he has met. He just isn't very excited about much of anything, nor will he play. Trying to bring him out of his shell. Thanks for your thoughts.
bbbdco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

You may be asking the impossible many males are just as you describe, it just may be who he is.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, perhaps you are right. It's just who he is. The breeder's dogs are known for being especially laid back and gentle. But I did spend a whole day with the dog before deciding to take him. He was interacting and playing with all the people and other Bassets in his "family." He has shown moments when he comes out of his shell, but not too often. I have had multiple dogs in the past, and would not get a puppy just for his sake, but also because I want to raise another puppy. So, I'm currently leaning toward getting a puppy in September when they are 12 weeks old. From another very reputable breeder. I'm home full time, so I have the time to work with a new puppy, and it would also provide some companionship for my current dog. Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

You won't get any reply from me re 'another one' other than yesssss! We bought our first boy but left it until he was almost a year before the inevitable second one, a puppy, joined us and him. Yes it's a lot of work but is something I was more than willing to do! And it didn't stop there as having got into showing the second, to his title in Canada, the logical next step was to breed something I'd bred to take into the ring and so a third joined us, and the rest, as they say, is history. Only once since then have we just had one Basset - the last of our bloodline after we lost his sister. Not only was he completely lost (he'd never been the only hound in the household added to which he was very close with his sister) but after how many years, I hated just putting up 1 bowl of food every mealtime. Pretty soon we set about finding him a companion, switching breeds at that point as I felt I wanted something taller and lighter - enter Miss Whippet. It took 4 months before she arrived by which time Mannie had gradually made the adjustment, and enjoyed being with us pretty much 24/7 - if he couldn't come with us, we didn't go! When we lost Mannie, that left us with just one hound again and at that point I realised I couldn't live without a Basset. So Frankie joined us.........

Bottom line - by all means have the new puppy - but for YOU, not necessarily for the hound you currently have.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Given that he's used to having other dogs around, I don't think getting a puppy would be a bad thing. However I agree that you should get the puppy for YOU, not because you think the dog wants one.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's input. I'm waiting for the breeder to phone me so I can ask a few more questions. In the meantime, I had to go to the vet this morning for a checkup. He appears to be in fine condition. The doctor said that a Basset coming from a large "family" of Bassets can be depressed and "homesick" for a long long time. He has his moments when he perks up for a bit. After having 5 dogs, he is just such a change for me. So low key. But I raised all my other dogs from puppies. This is my first adopted adult. After my last Basset was put to sleep in April, I was already thinking new puppy. So I am leaning towards a puppy. This adult came along looking for a good home, and I decided to give it to him. So, I would be getting a puppy for my enjoyment, not just for the sake of my current dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement