What are your thoughts on Continental Kennel club - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2017, 11:54 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What are your thoughts on Continental Kennel club

Just wondering what people here think of Continental Kennel club and if anyone has ever registered with them, Ears dad was AKC registered and Mom was CKC not knowing much about purchasing a purebred dog I just assumed that was Canadian Kennel club. I have seen lots of mixed reviews about this registry and was just curious.
Earsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Emphasis on the CON part of the name. It was created by and for breeders who can't or won't meet AKC's registration standards. Reputable breeders don't use it.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

As I only go with the OFFICIAL KC of the individual country, who hold the official records, run the shows etc., all these add-on KCs are of no interest to me. It's a pity that this basically bogus KC has the same initials as the Canadian KC.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2017, 09:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ya they wont even ship my registry information to Canada because they and Canadian Kennel club have an agreement because of the name issue. Luckily I have a US postal address I can get it sent to, I am just wondering as to why the breeder would use it since she has 3 other dogs that get AKC, not that the registry really matters to me we got Ears cause we love her not because of where she is registered.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Most probably she didn't used the Can. KC because the sire and dam weren't registered with them?
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Canadian KC only has reciprocal agreement with AKC. but they do have different requirement including permanent identification.

FWIW It would not surprise me if the CKC dog was akc registered as well but on a limited - non breeding registration. Using CKC is a way around the restriction and still call the off spring registered.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

That kinda makes a lot of sense Mikey if that's what happened, which I no is frowned upon but I did get a pretty awesome and adorable puppy but my opinion is a little one sided on that front. I guess my other question would be do I even need to register her, I'm not breeding her or going to show her,may teach her agility and definitely going to teach tracking so would there be a point of dealing with the Hassel and registering her
Old 07-07-2017, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can't register her with either AKC or CKC, so really there is no point as the ConKC papers are not really good for anything. You CAN get a performance ID type of number from both CKC and AKC as long as the dog appears purebred and is neutered, so you can compete in the performance events (like agility and tracking) if you wish, just not in the conformation (dog show).

In Canada there is also the AAC (Agility Association of Canada), which accepts all dogs, and in the US there are a number of other Agility venues that are open to all dogs. Each requires their own registration, but are not dependent on the dog being registered anywhere else.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You

Last edited by Soundtrack; 07-07-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Why do you think its a CON Soundtrack from the looks of things other than them not being well known they offer the same types of registrations as AKC as AKC now allows you to register Mix breeds.

If they are providing the information they are saying the provide to clients IE the registration papers they are not really a conning any one, and my breeder that I choose was defiantly not shady so I don't think its just used by non reputable breeders
Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

1. reputable is in the eye of the beholder. Buying a dog on a limited registration and then breeding is not ethical in my book but to each their own.

2. Most do not realize there are a myriad of registries, of various reputes, most assume AKC in the US. You assume CKC was canadian kennel club. there is a hierarchy of value to various registries. Continental kennel club has very low standard as what the accept as proof a dog is pure bred. Basical the persons word who is registering it. "You will need: two witnesses at least 18 years of age to attest to the dog's purebred status, a $50 evaluation fee (non-refundable), and five photographs of the applicant canine." https://ckcusa.com/registration/cani...509.1499457396

AKC now allows you to register Mix breeds.

that is incorrect. The AKC has

1. Pal /ILP the requirements are similar the CKC registration system above but this is far from full registration it Is only a number used to track the dog and allows the dog to be enter compete is some but not all AKC events.

2. The AKC has a similar mixed breed program "canine Partners" AKC Canine Partners - American Kennel Club that allow dogs to compete in even more limited venues and only if the club Hosting the event allows it.

"Joining Canine Partners allows mixed breed dogs and non-eligible AKC registered dogs to participate and earn titles in dog sports such as Agility, Obedience, Rally, Tracking and Coursing Ability. Canine Partners provides for an enhanced relationship between people and their dogs and allows them to connect with other dog owners."

this is not a AKC registration Which sanctions being able to register litters and puppies from AKC registered parents For example an AKC pal/ILP dog is not eligible to have off spring registered with the AKC , The CKC with a similar registration Criteria grants full registrations. allowing offspring to be registered.

There is a huge difference in the criteria and maintaining the sanctity of the stud book. AKC has up the ante in this required with DNA testing requirements

While not zero the Continental Kennel Club has exceeding few shows and venues to participate in.

AKC, UKC and CKC | Dog Training Nation

AKC, UKC and CKC | Dog Training Nation
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement