fireworks - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T
Default fireworks

Be Careful with Your Dogs and Fireworks!.

Quote:
Here are some tips to prevent fireworks sensitivity in your dogs:
Keep your dogs as far away from fireworks as possible.
If possible, bring your dogs inside in a closed-off, interior room.
Block out the noise with a TV, radio, or white-noise maker.
Check with your neighbors about their fireworks plans.
Ask for a phone call before they start.

Sometimes the fireworks start before New Year's Eve or the 4th of July and run a few days after the holiday.

There is NO REASON for a dog to be around fireworks, and I do everything I can to keep my dogs away from them. Usually dogs conditioned to gunfire can handle the noise of fireworks, but there really isn't anything good about them as far as dogs are concerned. We sell a couple of products that are designed to help dogs get over the fear of fireworks, but I really prefer NOT to have to sell them.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I totally agree. Keep them indoors. Luckily Riley doesn't mind fireworks or thunder but I had 2 bassets that were terrified. My Basset Daisy used to go upstairs and jump in the tub as soon as a storm was near. I read recently that many dogs feel the static electricity in their fur as the storm approaches. I'm sure others just don't like the sound. Lots of remedies out there . (Some work and some don't ) Definitely keep them inside though.
mydawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Luckily for me and mine, none of them has turned a hair re fireworks generation on generation. But I still make sure, when they are EXPECTED (and this is the biggie these days when people seem to think they need fireworks at EVERY event!), to let mine out early evening before it all kicks off. Mine would sleep through WW3 however. Not quite the same with my Whippet who doesn't do well with loud bangs although if sleeping, she'll just wake up, look at me to see if I'm reacting and once I'd said it's okay, go back to sleep, she does. But then again we've never lived in a heavily built up area, so any bangs etc. are a distance away.

My previous neighbour had two Large Munsterlanders (yes, GUNDOGS) and one of them was a cringing wreck if the local Shooting Party was out nearby, and ditto in storms. She had to make sure he was indoors and just leave him alone - often the more people 'baby' their worried dogs, the more they think there is something to be concerned about. With storms, it's often the atmospheric pressure that a dog feels, not necessarily the thunderclaps.

There's a no drug product here in the UK, called Kalm Aid which seems to work when stressful events are anticipated. Also Rescue Remedy in the water may work, although when you have numbers all drinking from the same bowl, that may not be so convenient.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

So far we have been really lucky we left ears the night of Canada day after putting her to bed in her crate so we could go watch the local fireworks, we were gone about twenty minutes and when we got home we found her fast asleep on her back as per the norm so not really a concern. Mind you we have found out not a whole lot scares this girl
Earsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement