Basset Puppy help! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2017, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Basset Puppy help!

My 13 week old basset Benjamin constantly cries while I'm in the shower. I've brought toys and treats and his snufflemat in there to keep him occupied but he is constantly crying. I've showered with the drape open so he can see me and everything. Any tips or tricks y'all know of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kim_Benji3193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

nature of a basset hound very social, most do not like to be alone . You can practice alone time frequently for very sort period of time gradually increasing the time.

also it become a bit of a learned behavior because it is likely you are rewarding the behavior with attention,

see the following

https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default...d-problems.pdf
Quote:
Prevention is the best way to head off separation-related problems, and it’s a must for puppies, young dogs, and newly adopted dogs. Again, dogs have to learn to handle being alone.

Here are some guidelines:
Arrange many brief absences. Puppies and newly adopted dogs are at higher risk of
developing separation-related problems if they are smothered with attention their first few days home. It is much better to leave for brief periods (from a few seconds to a few minutes) extremely often so the dog’s early learning about your departures is that they are no big deal and predict easy, tolerable absences: “Whenever she leaves, she comes back.
The Harmony Programme by Silvia Kent

extinction i.e. ignoring the behavior
Understanding Extinction Procedures - I Love ABA!

https://www.special-learning.com/article/extinction
"More facts about extinction procedure:

• An increase in the negative behavior will likely be observed shortly after extinction procedures are implemented: this is referred to as an extinction burst. It is very important for the person administrating therapy to maintain consistency and continue with the procedure, regarding of the child’s reaction.

Typically, extinction bursts will increase initially and the child will engage in this negative behavior more frequently before the behavior goes away or decreases to an appropriate level. Extinction bursts can also happen after a long period during which the child does not engage in problem behavior. This is referred to as Spontaneous Recovery. It is very important to be mindful of this possibility in order to be prepared to deal with it in the same way the behavior was dealt with initially.

• All three forms of extinction procedures decrease the occurrence of problem behavior over time.

• Very simply, extinction equates to lack of reinforcement. Instead of getting something good to strengthen the behavior, or having something added or taken away to suppress the behavior, nothing happens. From the perspective of the child, the behavior no longer works to get the desired reinforcement any more.

• All forms of extinction procedures can be frustrating for the learner. Their level of frustration varies from learner to learner in each specific situation.

• Extinction procedures can also be frustrating for parents and caregivers because the reduction in positive behavior (behavior change) can be slow. This is generally tolerable if the behavior is mildly protesting or attention seeking, such as whining or crying. However, if the behavior involves self-injury or direct aggression to siblings, parents or caregivers, and it intensifies during the “extinction burst” period, parents may find the procedure to be impossible to maintain. "

one can use the harmony programme or Extinction for Attention Seeking Behaviors however not both and especially not both at the same time consistency is key. I find most people have a hard time implementing extinction. Which is why a generally recommend the harmony program but either can and will work if done consistently.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement