How old were your Bassets before being fully housetrained. - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default How old were your Bassets before being fully housetrained.

I have a 8 month female (spayed) and a 7 Month old male (intact).
They are most definitely not house trained, although we are making slow progress.
I leave the back door open all day so they can go out whenever they need and I also take them out regularly. Giving them praise and food treat when they perform.
For the first time ever Milo (male) went out by himself and peed. I can not tell you how excited I was. Then had to laugh at what a thing to celebrate.
I believe I am doing things right, but it is so taking a long time. Progress is happening but it is so slow.
I won't be using a crate or restricting water.
So what I am basically asking is Are my dogs NORMAL ?
lesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 09:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

basset are notoriously slow to housetrain
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The better you supervise, and prevent them from making mistakes, the quicker they learn. Every time they get to "practice" messing in the house it slows the process down. That's why crates are useful, so they don't get the opportunity to make a mistake when you can't watch them closely enough. You might try tying them to you instead.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

ours were very straightforward to train...... were fine in no time (days to a week)

Sadly, that stellar display of learning ability did not transfer to learning not to roll in stinky stuff which continues to this day........
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know that once the weather is good enough (!!) it's convenient to leave the backdoor open most of the day BUT I think part of why they are not catching on is because you are leaving them to take themselves outside which they may not! So for now, shut the door to the outside and you dictate when they are taken out. And I suggest that may need to be every 3 hours,for now. When Frankie came to us, he was just on 4 months at which point most of mine were pretty much clean indoors (unless left for too long!). Because he came from a kennel situation, I felt I needed to give him the benefit of the doubt even if he could hold by then, so that meant I took him outside to empty, at first. And gave him loads of praise when he emptied 'to order'. Actually he never messed indoors (and I did get up once during the night to take him out, again at first). Once I knew all was good with him, the door to outside was left open and both he and Teazel took themselves off to empty.

With the two other older puppies we bought in, at 5 months and 7 months (not at the same time), the 5 month old girl did have a couple of accidents indoors, but quickly caught on that she shouldn't mess indoors. I never had a problem with the 7 month old male.

Maybe I have been lucky but we've never had a housetraining problem other than with a little 8 weeks old bitch we bought, before Frankie. At 8 weeks she was peeing for England and the washing maching was on the go all day! In the end I took her back as the UTI it was felt to be, and was treated for, didn't produce the response expected. I'd hoped the breeder would get her sorted out, but she didn't like me taking her back and made a full refund. So I switched breeder and bought Frankie.

So shut the door to outside, for now. Have you had them on pee pads because if so, this is often the result - untraining this habit and training as it should have been done.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement