Bladder Stones - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bladder Stones

Hi Everyone

A few months a go Inky was diagnosed with bladder stones she was producing Cystine stones and her urine was too acidic, she was put in a prescription diet of Hills U/D.

This weekend she took a turn for the worse she hadn't had a wee for around 12 hours she was shaking and was clearly uncomfortable. I had already spoken to the emergency vet who had said to keep and eye and bring her in if she gets worse, it got to 3am and she was getting worse so we took her in. She was given pain relief and had xrays, it showed her little bladder was full of stones and one was blocking her urethra. The vet said she was going to insert a catheter to try and flush the stone out, just as she was about to sedate Inky she managed to pass the stone and did a huge wee! This then took her out of being an emergency and we were able to pick her up a few hours later.
We spoke to our vet once they opened and they told us she has to have the operation to remove all of the stones from her bladder because its likely this will happen again. The stones could be so big or so many inside her bladder the food just cant get in to the stones to break them down and flush them out.

Today she is having the operation, she has just been taken in to theatre. I cried when I dropped her off because they made me sign a disclaimer saying if she doesn't wake up or dies its not the vets fault. I know this is procedure but it was so upsetting, not only do I have to pay a fortune upfront, if she dies its my fault for putting her through the operation but on recommendation from the vet! where is the logic?!
Today I feel very anxious i dont know if I have done the right thing or what to do going forward. One stressed basset Mum today
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2017, 11:30 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Cystine stones are not common in dog except for a few breed where there is a strong genetic link. Doubt anyone here has had the problem so are not going to be of much help.

"f she dies its my fault for putting her through the operation but on recommendation from the vet! where is the logic?! "

keep malpractice rates down and therefore the cost. Much of today's healthcare cost are "defensive medicine at least here in the states where malpractice suits are more common and higher awards.

I block urethra is a life threatening problem. Personally I don't Think you had much choice if dissolving is not working . The only other option to to break the stone into tiny pieces that can pass through ultrasound. Not sure whether this is practical with cystine stones or not Surgery may me easier on the dog than the alternatives.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

How did the surgery go?
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2017, 04:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmom View Post
How did the surgery go?

The surgery went really well the vet was happy he got all of the stones out. She might pass grit and blood for up to a week after but that is normal. The stones are being sent off for analysis to find out what they are made of so we can put her on a diet that stops her body producing the stones. When he showed me the stones it took my breath away! I couldn't believe her little bladder had been full of these huge stones, she must have been in so much pain! She is on antibiotics and pain relief, she is a bit shaken and doesn't want to jump up on the sofa. I lift her up and down, she doesn't want to walk out of the back door she will sit and wait for me to lift her outside ..... making mummy feel even worse I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Oh my gosh!!! Poor Inky! I'm curious to see what kind of diet they put her on.
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraysmom View Post
Oh my gosh!!! Poor Inky! I'm curious to see what kind of diet they put her on.
She has been put on Royal Canin S/O (which I hate) till we get the results from the stone analysis. When we have the results the vet said we should be able to put her on a specific diet that should stop the production of the stones. Thing is i cant afford a vet 'prescribed' diet long term, I would much rather cook for her myself but I dont know if that is the right thing to do.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

poor baby...... Gracie is on Hills C/D for the crystals in her urine. her ultrasound was negative for stones fortunately.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement