Help - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help

Okay, so I currently live in an apartment with my fiance and beagle mix (dudley) and now our new baby basset (ralphy) who is 12 weeks old. I've only had him about a week so I understand that's not long but I want to make sure I nip 2 bugs things in the bud before habits even form. Right now ralphy is peeing EVERYWHERE. I know bassets are hard to train and I feel we're actually doing well but he seems to be peeing sooo much in between going out. I take him about every 45 min and he still pees or dribbles in between. I keep him in a confined xpen in living room and he also sleeps here. I take him immediately out and if he uses the bathroom he can play in the whole living room for awhile then goes back to the pen.
Next, he literally freaks out when he can't see me which is very hard with living in an apartment since I canthink just ignore it. He will repeatedly bark until I have to stop him.
Please help!!
Any pointers would be amazing.
Ralphyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2017, 10:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

welcome to the forum

A couple of things (others will also weigh in with their experiences and thoughts)

I have 3 bassets and potty training/house breaking was very easy. I know not true for all.

At that age, they have very limited bladder capacity.

Initially we took them out to pee quite literally every 10 to 15 mins (on lead). If no pee, right back in the house.

I had success with indoor pad training at the same time training outdoors but others on the forum have differing results/opinions. It worked for us.

If pee, praise and treat and still right back in the house. They pee after awaking, after play, etc..... makes for a very busy first few weeks but well worth it.

also want to be certain there is nothing medical going on with the lad.

Last edited by 3kbasset; 02-27-2017 at 10:28 PM.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

see ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Housetraining Your Puppy

"o not rely on a puppy to tell you when it's time to go out. That is expecting too much responsibility and communication at too early an age. It is up to you, the adult human, to know when he needs to go out. Watch his activity level and the clock.

A 12 wk puppy who is busy playing may need to urinate every 15-20 minutes, whereas a resting puppy might go for an hour, and a sleeping puppy can go 8 hours at night. Activity makes urine! Activity makes urine! Repeat this 10 times, slowly. This is a very important lesson for new puppy owners."
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2017, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

It wouldn't hurt to have your vet check for a urinary tract infection-
murraysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"Next, he literally freaks out when he can't see me which is very hard with living in an apartment since I can think just ignore it. He will repeatedly bark until I have to stop him"

https://www.sfspca.org/sites/default...d-problems.pdf

The Harmony Programme by Silvia Kent

the other problem with simply trying to use extinction (ignoring the behavior so it is not rewarded and goes away) is something called an extinct burst which occurs when using extinction on a previously rewarded behavior. The behavior does not end, not at first it gets worse much worse. The extinction burst
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement