First time owner - Meet Nimzo! - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First time owner - Meet Nimzo!

Hi all,

Greetings from sunny Cape Town! I have always dreamed of having a dog and finally my dream has come true. I bought the most beautiful (at least in my eyes basset hound puppy. I will become a fixture on this forum and will post regularly to share the progress I'm making in training Nimzo (Btw, he's named after my favourite chess player - Aron Nimzowitsch).

Now that I got the bio out of the way, I wanted to ask you all a couple of questions. Does the skin of a basset become looser as they get older and/or fatter? If not, does that mean that there are types of bassets whose skin is looser than the other types? I sure would like Nimzo to have those flappy ears and loose skin but I can't tell if it will happen as his parents differ in that department (father is more skin-heavy than mum). My breeder assures me that Nimzo's a purebred puppy and I paid a hefty sum for him, but since I'm a hopeless patzer when it comes to dogs (first time owner), I would like for you experienced basseteers to have a look and share your 2c.

Are Nimzo's parents close to the Basset Standard?
Does Nimzo look like a purebred Basset Hound puppy?
What type of Basset do you reckon it is?
Are his parents close to the standard's size in terms of body length and leg length?

Thanks so much!

Looking forward to chatting to you all. Also, please share pics of your doggies in the comments below!

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image1.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image2.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image3.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image4.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image5.jpg  

First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image6.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image7.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-asdasdasdasdasda.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-dsfdfsdf.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-234fsdfsdf.jpg  

Lazarevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"Does the skin of a basset become looser as they get older and/or fatter?"

no

Does that mean that there are types of bassets whose skin is looser than the other types?

Not sure what you mean by types but individuals vary.

Are Nimzo's parents close to the Basset Standard?
Individual pictures are not a good means of judging a dogs confirmation

Does Nimzo look like a purebred Basset Hound puppy?
I see nothing obvious that says he is not. But your breeder should be providing registration papers that assure that he is.

What type of Basset do you reckon it is?

There is only one type of basset hound. Those making claims their dog is this or that type are nothing more than excuse makers for why the dog varies from the breed standard significantly. There is not dog that perfectly conforms to the breed standard they all have fault. It is to the degree that all those faults come together that make a dog typey or not

Breed standard in us and UK and therefor FCI does not have a weight criteria there can a considerable weight variation. same thing for length There is for Height 13-15 inches tall AKC makes anything over 15"a disqualifying fault that is in the case in UK(KC) or FCI

The Kennel Club

http://images.akc.org/pdf/breeds/sta...984.1484742982

I would direct you to Basset Hound Club of America illustrates breed standard but the web site is down
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi Mikey,

Thanks for you speedy response - I greatly appreciate it!

I have read the standard you linked me to (thanks for that! All of this nomenclature, standards and all that jazz is new to me) and as far as I can tell both the parents meet the criteria.

I am busy devouring "Basset Hound: Your Happy Healthy Pet
" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/04...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and "Training the Best Dog Ever: A 5-Week Program Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement" (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and will be done with them just before my puppy arrives, on the 27th of Jan. Haven't been so excited in my life. I feel like a kid in a candy-store, which would be great, if I weren't a 29 year, boring, software engineer! :P

Mikey, is that your dog on your avatar? Looks like a winner to me!

Old 01-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here's another pic of Nimzo
Attached Thumbnails
First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-nimzo.jpg  
Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

beyond cute!!!! ???blue eyes???
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

I know, right?! I didn't know why you were so surprised by the blueish eyes on the puppy so I looked it up and it turns out it's a concern. I contacted the breeder and she reassured me that the color will change shortly as they're still puppies (6 weeks old) and that when they were taken to the vet, the vet raised no concerns. I will keep you posted.

Btw, I've read that not all basset hounds are born with the desirable brown eyes and that the color changes gradually within the first couple of months. Have you ever had a dog which was like that and how long did it take for the color of the eyes to be "normalised"?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

One of the breeders will be better able to answer that for you. regardless quite a fine looking dog. congrats!!!!!
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Pretty much all puppies are born with blue eyes and they usually change at around 3-6 weeks.

Occasionally a Basset will have permanent blue eyes. The color of the eyes is not a concern (other than being incorrect) but likely indicates that they carry the gene for blue coat color, which is also undesirable.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

@3kbasset, Thanks so much! I am ecstatic about getting the puppy. I think you guys know how I feel, but unfortunately my friends are starting to give me the odd look and I suspect they think I've lost the plot hehe :P

@Soundtrack, The breeder has sent me new pics of Nimzo taken yesterday (Friday 20th) to show that the color of his eyes has already started changing. It is currently some dark shade of grey. Check out the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image1.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image2.jpg   First time owner - Meet Nimzo!-image3.jpg  
Old 01-21-2017, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundtrack View Post
Pretty much all puppies are born with blue eyes and they usually change at around 3-6 weeks.

Occasionally a Basset will have permanent blue eyes. The color of the eyes is not a concern (other than being incorrect) but likely indicates that they carry the gene for blue coat color, which is also undesirable.

Bosco is half right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
FeralBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement