Is he basset hound or hush basset some one said he is cocker and basset they called h - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is he basset hound or hush basset some one said he is cocker and basset they called h

Hi just got him rescued he is 15 month old basset but some one said he was hush basset as he has cocker in him also what's the best food for him to many thanks

Last edited by robertleggy.legg; 01-15-2017 at 03:43 PM.
robertleggy.legg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

'Somebody' is wrong in that the original 'Hush Puppy' (shoes) was indeed a Basset (with a shocking front!!). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_Puppies (photo top right).

Further I see no Cocker Spaniel in him although there are a number of breeders (in the UK?) who are producing a Basset-Cocker mix, SADLY. To be honest, I see more Basset-Dachshund in your dog although it's interesting to me, that when the Basset is involved in mix-breeding, the result tends to almost always favour the Basset (especially ear and back length and lowness to the ground!). So it could be there's something like Labrador in that dog (otter-like tail and colour).

As for what food, that would depend on where you are and what he's been eating up to now. If you switch without doing it gradually, over at least a week of mixing the new with the old, you will upset his digestive system. I'd certainly avoid anything that's cereal-based, picking something that lists meat, or fish, as the first ingredient. And avoid anything that's high in protein. The Basset is a breed prone to GDV (Bloat with torsion) so you'd do best to feed two smaller meals a day, and not to feed after exercise immdiately, or exercise for about 2 hours after eating.

ps I have to say I have seen far worse fronts on a purebred Basset!!! Nice. Keep his nails clipped back.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

"Hush Basset" is the marketing term bad breeders give to cocker/basset crosses to make them sell better. Hard to tell from that angle, he could be a beagle mix. Could be a Basset Hound, just not to standard.

When "someone said" a dog is of a particular breed or mix, most of the time "someone" has no clue what they are talking about unless they are actively involved in purebred dogs. And even then a lot of the time they don't

The best food is what works for your dog.
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" I'd certainly avoid anything that's cereal-based, picking something that lists meat, or fish, as the first ingredient. And avoid anything that's high in protein. "

can't have low protein food that is not High in carbs. Whether the carbs come from grains or pototoes,legume, tapioca etc make little difference. There is a reason carbs are not listed on the analysis on a bag of dog food it is because dogs do not need carbs.

Totally disagree on a low protein food. In an active dog higher protein level have demonstrated to reduce soft tissue injuries and there is no know harm from a high protein diet, except in late stage renal failure.

When it comes to food it is a very individualistic thing what works for one dog often does not work for another. If you like the result you are getting with the current food no need to change if not try something else there is no magic bullet.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

ps I have to say I have seen far worse fronts on a purebred Basset!!! Nice. Keep his nails clipped back.[/QUOTE]

LOL can't imagine who you might be referring too , agree also Hush puppies from a certain shoe company have appalling fronts & legs but sadly what many believe to be a 'good' example. I've also seen dogs in Charity listings & rescues listed as Bassets, that bear no resemblance to the breed.
As to food, it's a personal thing, used to feed commercial kibble & now raw feed & it would always be my preference. You'll never if rarely find agreement, with links & supposed research studies backing up their point of view. Do a little research, become interested in what you're feeding your dog & what's in commercial food, personally like to feed a varied diet which has certainly benefited our dogs past & present.
Some of us like oven chips, others microwave chips, we make our own, everyone is different!
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi thank you everyone he is a Stubbon little bugger at times but he is great with my kids but does smell I've bathed him but he still smells

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertleggy.legg View Post
Hi thank you everyone he is a Stubbon little bugger at times but he is great with my kids but does smell I've bathed him but he still smells
Bassets can & do smell but shouldn't be too strong.
Stubborn, only as stubborn as their family, learn to think laterally & from experience, kindness & continuity get you much further than backing them into a corner.
Good Luck. Bassets have the memory of an Elephant & never forget but make the best of best companions.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

" but does smell I've bathed him but he still smells "

There are multiple areas beside the skin that can produce odor

1. ears / ear infections

2.mouth paradontial disease

3. mouth lip fold pyderma

4. anal glands

All Scent hounds have a distinct odor but it should not be obnoxious or pungent. Yeast infections smell like racid oil AKA frito corn chips. Bacteria infections ten to smell like dead fish. Anal gland are an odor all there own but tend more to the fish.

If it is the skin itself that smell you probably have a skin infection which can be caused by allergies, seborrhea, moisture in skin folds, etc. The most common skin infection in a basset are yeast/fungi. I always recommend consulting with a dermatologist when dealing with skin infections you save money in the long run because general practice vets are not very good at getting to the actual cause and only treat symptoms so the problem keeps coming back.

Using medicated shampoos for the actual type of infection. vinegar rinse, Listerine as between bath wipe can all help in treating and reducing odor.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks like I said he was a rescue dog so don't know his background much but he is very loving loyal and settling in nicely likes to chew stuff but is slowly getting out of that I hope

Old 01-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
" I'd certainly avoid anything that's cereal-based, picking something that lists meat, or fish, as the first ingredient. And avoid anything that's high in protein. "

Totally disagree on a low protein food. In an active dog higher protein level have demonstrated to reduce soft tissue injuries and there is no know harm from a high protein diet, except in late stage renal failure.
As I typed my comment quoted here, I KNEW I'd be seeing some comment like this. You are nothing if not predictable.... I'm sorry Mikey but I have seen FIRST HAND the result of a puppy being reared on a product with 32% protein (and of course, accompanying high levels of other ingredients). With the Basset, something providing around 26% protein max. is quite high enough and I don't feed anything as high as that even, with adults. And I have produced generations of Bassets on a food that's low-ish in protein etc., and NOT CEREAL BASED, with NO 'soft tissue injuries' and certainly not anything like what I'm seeing in my buy-in boy.

OP, it's up to you. Find something that suits, and stick to it - more problems can occur when you chop and change the diet, than much else.

As for smell - looking at your dog with his 'dry' head and overall lack of wrinkle, I'd suggest what you are smelling hasn't anything to do with the often-seen yeast infection in the Basset. Bassets can have a 'traditional' houndy smell however which for some, is noticable. Don't bath him too often - you could make a bad situation worse. And do check teeth, ears, and anal glands - the common source of nasty niffs. Other than rolling in stuff

ps From my experience as a Home Visitor, with Rescues, they tend to know they've been given a second chance, and can be loving, loyal dogs (and cats). I'm loving the trusting expression your boy has.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement