Is she a Basset? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Is she a Basset?

Hi guys! My husband and me bought a 9 month old Basset at Christmas and now we are wondering... is she a purebred Basset or a mix.

Some backstory... around 6 months ago we bought our first Basset hound Fred - he is AKC registered and is our little baby. But Fred was lonely, so we decided to get him a lady friend Basset who might also have puppies with him some day. Because Fred was already 7 months old and we didn't want to start all over with another puppy, we decided to buy a dog that was around Fred's age. A relative mentioned a Craig's list type site local to our area that listed dogs for sale - we looked and immediately saw a Basset for sale for $250 who was 9 months old! Two days later we met the couple at their house to see the dog - they had a tiny house, no yard, and several small children and explained that was why they were selling.
And so we met Flash! It was love at first sight and we bought her on the spot! They told us she was purebred and had registration paperwork from the breeder with a group called CPR, that stated she was a pure bred Basset.

But now I'm having my doubts because of her appearance... neither myself or my husband know anything about Bassets except what we know about Fred... but Flash does NOT look like Fred. She is at least 2 inches taller (although she is also 2 months older), does not have the floppy skin folds around her neck, her ears are very long but much thinner, and in the face she looks entirely different.

That's not to say we don't love Flash - she and Fred are best friends now and we would never give her up for the world... but I'm curious.

Also, if we decide to have pups, I would hate to tell people they are getting a purebred Basset hound puppy when we are really giving them a mix. Not that we are going to make a profit for them - we were figuring selling for $50 bucks a piece max and perhaps giving away free... but it would still seem wrong.

I'm attaching a picture to this post. Does anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Is she a Basset?-img_5815_1484461402082.jpg  
Spurswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

1. Without the registration papers from the official Kennel Club of her country of birth (presumably the AKC where you are?) you have NO guarantee she is purebred - regardless of how she looks. Many breeders don't breed to the Breed Standard!!
2. PLEASE get her spayed and do NOT think about mating her to your male. Especially if she's unregistered, and her origins 'doubtful'. There are enough mix-bred puppies in the world already. And she doen't NEED motherhood. Bassets can be difficult to mate and again to whelp, often needing a C.Section = a four figure sum of money. And fact is ONLY top quality animals should ever be producing puppies. The liklihood of you having two compatible hounds is remote and with this breed, even with faults you can see (and they all have faults), there are the recessive genes - things you can't see but which may appear in their puppies.

Everytime a bitch is in whelp, her life is quite literally at risk. And having her entire with your entire male anywhere around, is going be far from 'fun'. Believe me. Even if allowed to mate with her. If she's 9 months now, and unspayed, she'll be in season any day now, so get her booked in asap, for her spay.

ps Basset bitches tend not to be as 'wrinkled' as the males. She has a pretty face of course, but that doesn't make her good brood bitch material I'm afraid.

Last edited by FranksMum; 01-15-2017 at 10:17 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

CPR certified Pet Registry

is one of a growing number of registries in the US used by Puppymills and Backyard breeders because they will register anything with four legs as a purebred. that is not to say flash is not purebred but what happens when you do not breed for the betterment of the breed you end up with dogs that don't much represent the breed. The only good reason to breed is to better the breed as a whole. If you don't have a clear idea how this breed will works toward better the breed pleas restrain.

Dog Owner's Guide: Ten reasons to breed your dog

BHCA Code of Ethics
"Breedings will be directed toward producing Basset Hounds of exceptional quality in breed temperament, Basset Hound type and ability to hunt game. Only healthy and mature dogs and bitches free of congenital defects and of characteristic breed type, sound structure and temperament shall be bred.

Members should not undertake the breeding of a bitch unless they are prepared to act responsibly regarding the disposition of the resultant puppies. Members shall be discriminating in the placing of puppies and adult hounds, choosing environments in which the Basset Hound will receive suitable care and affection and will not be misused."
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith SHH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins MHE
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box SHH
Harriet - Ch Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You

Last edited by Soundtrack; 01-15-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement