Best Puppy Food UK - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Best Puppy Food UK

What would be the best food for my 11 week old basset hound puppy, available in the U.K?
Biglukelongsocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglukelongsocks View Post
What would be the best food for my 11 week old basset hound puppy, available in the U.K?
You should always go with the food the puppy has been having with his breeder, at least to begin with. Moving out into the world is stressful enough without switching the food and as if anything, the digestive system in the breed can be troublesome, when/if you do switch, you must do it gradually, over at least a week, mixing the new with the old.

Whoever you bought your puppy from (hopefully a reputable breeder) is the person to ask this kind of question and they should have given you a diet sheet, if not a small supply of the food. I'd listen more to a breeder, than a vet when it comes to what food.

If/when you do switch, choose a make that isn't high in protein, and isn't cereal-based but which lists meat or fish as the main ingredient. And it's difficult to recomment as not all food suits all dogs, let alone breeds. Mine are currently on Arden Grange Sensitive which is a fish/potato diet because our hound came to us, at 4 months, with Giardia. And that left him ith a sensitive (yes really) digestive system. Since being on that he's been fine.

As this is a breed prone to GDV (Bloat with torsion) you must make sure you feed a food that isn't going to expand (the pieces of kibble - test in warm water) vastly inside. And as an adult, feed twice a day. Avoid feeding for an hour after exercise, and no exercise for 2 hours after a meal too. All things the breeder should have mentioned.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"And as an adult, feed twice a day. Avoid feeding for an hour after exercise, and no exercise for 2 hours after a meal too. All things the breeder should have mentioned."

as a puppy under 6 month usually 4 times a day. The dog will let you know when to switch to three times a day when it starts skipping meals.

There is no correlation between exercise and bloat in the purdue bloat study that examined such things. Because of nutritional and performance factors with a "working dog" A dog that actual works endurance i.e., actual hunting it is advisable to feed immediately after exercise (within 30 minute) to replenish glycogen supply . Very few bassets meet the definition of "working dog" but as with most conventional wisdom it is not one size fits all.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
There is no correlation between exercise and bloat in the purdue bloat study that examined such things. Because of nutritional and performance factors with a "working dog" A dog that actual works endurance i.e., actual hunting it is advisable to feed immediately after exercise (within 30 minute) to replenish glycogen supply . Very few bassets meet the definition of "working dog" but as with most conventional wisdom it is not one size fits all.
Sorry, regardless of what the Purdue study came up with, I thought all people with deep chested breeds knew the potantial danger of feeding immediately after exercise, and even more, NOT exercising for a couple of hours after a feed? Doesn't common sense suggest we'd not go running after a heavy meal so why would we risk this, with our Bloat-prone breed? The system needs to rest to allow digestion. Those dogs who 'work endurance' are not necessarily deep chested/prone to GDV either.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are studies to prove any stance or advice you wish to follow & perhaps you'll be lucky never to experience bloat. BUT there are plenty of experienced owners with years of dog ownership whose advice I'd prefer to follow & so for all the years of Basset ownership (or any dog) I'd not exercise an hour before feeding & two hours after, if there's the smallest chance it will prevent Bloat, then that's what I'll do.
There's so much dubious advice around, prefer to seek advice from those I know & trust. Good Luck.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I am not sure about it.
rayonel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

common sense also said feed from a raised food bowl reduced bloat risk when it actual increases it so called common sense passed down for generation is often simply wrong. IMHO the whole exercise thing is not different than waiting an hour to go swimming after eating. Complete and total b.s.

https://www.dukehealth.org/blog/myth...m-after-eating

Monday's medical myth: wait 30 minutes after eating before you swim

"Doesn't common sense suggest we'd not go running after a heavy meal "

um no Common sense dictates one should not be eating a heavy meal.

but when it comes to dogs working dogs and eating performance is increased while running on an empty stomach 24 hr since last meal however this is not practical in instances where the dogs are working multiple day they need to be feed when working and the absolute best time to feed them is shortly after working no more than 1 hour

http://www.basset.net/boards/general...y-food-uk.html
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Gdv

Bloat (Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus) in Dogs

Information for others.

Last edited by FranksMum; 03-12-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement