allergies? - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2016, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default allergies?

Walter has been scratching a lot lately; sometimes for five minutes at a time. His belly and underarms get red, but he hasn't scratched himself raw anywhere or made bald spots. He hasn't been introduced to anything new since we have had him (same dog food, treats, grass, etc.) I have made him a vet appointment, but I just wanted to be prepared for what it might be. After much research (which said anything from my dog could die soon to its basically nothing, the internet sucks), I am between seasonal allergies or food allergies, although I hope it's not food. Any thoughts?
shmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2016, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)

Our Bogie developed allergies after we moved to Memphis from South Dakota. Went through terrible skin issues of sore spots all over, loss of hair, itchy skin etc., medicated baths, different meds and shampoosfrom vet and finally took him to a canine allergist and had tests run. Not cheap but he was put on allergy shots and for the past 2&1/2 years we have had a happy dog with no skin issues. My husband gives him his weekly allergy shot and Bogie still gets a weekly medicated bath. good luck!!
BubbaLeroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

much more likely atopic of flea allergy than food simply because these allergies are much more common than food. For some reason food is the first thing everyone goes to , maybe because it is something you can control but only 10-15 percent of allergies in dogs are food related and even more telling 90 percent or more of dogs with food allergies have atopic allergies as well.

atopy may or may not be seasonal depending what the actual alergen is and whether or not it is seasonal in your area.

Atopic Dermatitis Causes, Symptoms, & Treatments | petMD
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

He's treated for fleas and heartworms and such in a multi pack, so the vet isn't thinking that's what it is. She said seasonal allergies in Texas are bad now, even for me. She gave me some suggestions on OTC medications to try. We will see if that helps any. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

"She gave me some suggestions on OTC medications to try. "

Antihistamines are a lot less effective in dogs than humans for allergies. The Odds any single class (there are 4 major classes) will work on a particular dog is 10-15 % you can increase the odd by changing classes if on fails the odds By trying all four clases the odds go up to 30% keep in mind even then we are not talking cure bur a reduction in symptoms.

Just Ask the Expert: Are antihistamines effective in canine atopy?

Itch Relief - Mar Vista Animal Medical Center
ANTIHISTAMINE TRIALS
Histamine, a biological chemical, is the chief mediator of inflammation in humans hence the proliferation of antihistamines available for people both by prescription and "over the counter." Histamine is not the major mediator of inflammation in the dog, thus these medications are not as reliable for dogs as they are for us.
The protocol recommended by this hospital is helpful to approximately 40% of dogs who try it. Four different antihistamines are used, one at a time, at least two weeks each, in hope of finding one that is acceptably effective. While the chance that an individual antihistamine will be helpful is small (about 15%), trying several antihistamines greatly increases the chance of finding one that works.
Antihistamines are not free of side effects; they are notorious for drowsiness in some individuals. Still, this is vastly preferable to the systemic disruption caused by the corticosteroid group.
Our hospital uses the following antihistamines in a typical antihistamine trial (click for more information):
Diphenhydramine (Benadryl)
Clemastine fumarate (Tavist)
Hydroxyzine (Atarax)
Chlorpheniramine (Chlortrimaton)
In the cat, antihistamines are substantially more reliable than in dogs so that the chances of a given antihistamine working are usually pretty good. For both cats and dogs, using antihistamines together with a corticosteroid hormone will decrease the amount of corticosteroid hormone needed to control the itching (i.e. less hormone is needed to get the job done if it is given with an antihistamine)."
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Mikey thanks for the help, I'll let you know what happens, hopefully he can not be scratching all the time pretty soon

Last edited by shmiller; 09-27-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 10-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

So as it turns out, a certain type of bone we had been giving him that we got from Wallmart was the cause of his itching.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement