Why I advocate against getting littermates - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T
Default Why I advocate against getting littermates

Littermate Syndrome

"Over lunch recently, veterinarian and dog behaviorist Dr. Ian Dunbar and I discussed raising sibling dogs. “It’s a disaster waiting to happen for the littermates because they don’t get socialized to other dogs or people, let alone to their owners,” he said. Many owners assume their interacting with each other is adequate, “but when the puppies are five or six months old and meet an unfamiliar dog in a novel setting, they absolutely freak out.”
Dunbar points out that raising littermates necessitates training two puppies—particularly challenging when they essentially wear blinders to all but each other. “It’s more than twice the work; it’s exponential. The two combine to produce levels of energy that we can barely measure. Tension develops in training and compliance as they squeeze the owner out of the relationship. They’re always living with an enormous distraction—each other.”
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Littermate Syndrome

Problems Associated With Adopting Two Puppies at the Same Time
Old 08-05-2014, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good post, it's just a shame prospective owners don't think ahead, also like to suggest that ages are spread out a little if it's a multi dog household. Have two with just a year between then & I'd never do it again. The elder was still a juvenile teenager when the pup arrived & there was not enough quality time for either.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

also a tendency that they "depart" at the same time.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey T View Post
also a tendency that they "depart" at the same time.
Yes , & not the best time to introduce a pup to geriatric old timer.
Vectisvagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

agree about the age span.

ours are 4 months, 3 years, 7 years. I think it would be very difficult to have not only littermates, but two nearly the same age.
3kbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm finding this post interesting. We have been considering a new addition, the house doesn't feel the same without Piper. Charlie has coped really well, in fact I don't know whether to feel relieved or offended! I know no two dogs are ever the same, but I would love another rescue. Charlie is 18 months old now, so what would be the ideal age for another dog.
Charlie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Charlie one general thinks of adding a younger dog but that is not always the case you can get a older dog 6-7 year old
Old 08-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Can I just say that generally speaking, for the novice taking on two siblings is definitely something that should be avoided, especially with males and especially with some breeds (terriers come to mind). However, we have usually run on at least 2 from our litters, and have had NO problems whatsoever. Bassets (and most hounds for that matter), again Mikey, are not the same as any other breed and should get along, siblings or not.

However, having said that, I had a friend years ago who had litter brothers. NIGHTMARE! Everytime one moved, the other was up on his feet reacting (once adult this is). Never could I have lived with two like that. They came from a well-known breeder but she was a business -woman and probably delighted to extract the money for two puppies!!

Unfortunately novice owners think it's lovely to have to 'for company' - to salve their conscience when it comes to having dogs and leaving them at home for hours. The reality is sometimes far from the case. So for the novice, I always suggest getting one puppy sorted out and if it's all gone well, in about 10 month - a year, think about a second dog.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 07:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie13 View Post
Charlie is 18 months old now, so what would be the ideal age for another dog.
Now!! Try for a bitch - we had two males, 10 months apart, for our first two and they were fine together, but ideally the male/female combination (with the bitch spayed) is best.

Check out pets4homes website - there are a number of bitches looking for a second chance at a good home on that website right now. It's not a place I particularly like but with an adoption, you'd be helping a needy hound find a good loving home. Do your homework however- go see the hound in it's home. And be prepared for some bumpy rides - they are usually out of a home for a reason .... usually because the training hasn't been done/worked!!

http://www.pets4homes.co.uk/classifi...nd-tipton.html
Here's one, not necessarily THE one, but ....... negotiate the price!! The home should be more important than the price to this owner!

ps The comment about siblings dying around the same age is worth considering but it's not always the case. Doesn't always happen like that.

Last edited by FranksMum; 08-07-2014 at 07:39 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement