Not a good beach day :( - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Not a good beach day :(

Hi

Today has been just awful for us, myself more than joey I think. We went to the beach today for our usual Sunday run out. Joey loves the doggy beach as he plays with the dogs for a good hour or so.
Being his usual friendly self he went up to play with a boxer...within a blink of an eye the boxer had poor joey pinned to the ground (not in the playful way) attacking him, I've never ran so fast in my life to grab him, other doggy people closer to him managed to save him. My poor boy was yelping and crying like I've never heard. It was just horrific.
The lady who owned the dog said he's never done it before and he's a good dog, I just stayed quiet and wrapped Jo up in my arms as I was too distraught to talk. A few people were arguing with the lady and told her that they all witnessed it and her dog should be on a leash etc etc. the lady and her dog made a quick exit without even an apology.
Little Joey was really shook up by it all but he had all the attention on the beach afterwards and he was back out playing with the others.
Luckily there was no bleeding or marks on him. It's breaking my heart even writing this, I was so traumatised by it all.
Anyway I hope you all had a better day than us.

Lisa and joey x

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Lisa and joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

oh so sorry Lisa & Joey!! what an awful experience and sorry ya had to goes thru it. Sounds like Joey recovered just fine afterwards, and really, that is one of the most important things (that he not be scared to play w/other dogs after an incident like that wethinks).

How old is Joey and is he neutered? both those things can make a difference. have to be careful of Worm, esp for some reason with older golden retrievers-- he's been bit by 2 of them in the past, you'd never think it. he is interested in playing with everyone, which is not a really good thing, he needs to figure out who he shouldn't be getting too close with. and i esp have to watch him around older dogs who may not be that tolerant of young energetic ones.

it happens so quickly sometimes, in a blink of an eye. on the one hand people say not to reach in an grab the dogs, on the other hand if it's really outta hand, ya just gotta. our friend did and got her finger bit off by a german shepherd but on the other hand the german shepherd was causing substantial damage to my pal-- he had hours of surgery and many stitches in his neck area. so.... on the one hand, it is so great to see dogs run free and play with each other. when it's good, it is so beautiful to watch and they get such great exercise from it too. on the other hand, there is some risk involved, including playing with unknown dogs, rescues with unknown backgrounds, etc.

my person is overboard ultra-prepared with me, cuz i plays often at the park with many other dogs and also at the beeach too. she's got a baseball bat, citronella spray, and pepper spray on her whenever i plays. (well the pepper spray is on her keychain, it's really for her most of the time). any of those things could be used if you really couldn't get the dogs apart.

the other thing i'll say is: when I wuz young, during one of my first trips out to the park, me got attacked by 2 dawgs (a golden retriever and a golden doodle... all that to say, ya can't always tells by the breed. just got to be vigilant with whomever Joey plays with, we would say). i did get some marks and did go to the vet, but didn't need stitches. Unlike Joey, I WAS traumatized by it a little, but my person made me go out anyway and play with other dawgs and within a week or two I was back to normal. and of course my person's more wary of who I can play with. but again, there still is some risk involved.

anyway, sorry again... thinking of ya's
Worm
Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Oh thank you wormy. Yes just like yourself joey likes to play with everyone.

I did hear the saying that you shouldn't break up a dog fight. But when it happened I just seen red and dive in there. I don't think I would of cared much if I did get bitten as long as joey was out of it. And yes it does show that any dog can be nasty, and you have to be careful.

I do tend to keep him away from the older dogs as joey is a bit to energetic for them and they get a bit grumpy with him. He will be 1 year old in September so he's still very wild!

Old 08-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

They always say they are good dogs and have never done it before. I always want to punch people that say pit bulls are misunderstood right after their dog has lunged at mine.

CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is the number one fear we have for Maddie - that she would be attacked by another dog and injured or killed before we could stop it.

We've had some problems with loose dogs here, including pit bulls, and Mr. San will pick Maddie up and carry her home when walking her if he feels another dog is threatening her to keep her safe. I worry so much that I don't enjoy it when we take her to the dog park - I keep my eyes on her the whole time.

I'm so glad things turned out well - and that you had witnesses backing you up. It sounds like Joey wasn't traumatized by the experience, a good thing. It's heartbreaking when a dog becomes fearful of things they used to enjoy.

Please give Joey a cuddle for me - I'm glad he wasn't hurt!

-San.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've never seen any pit bulls over here. I think I would be the same as mr San. I would pick him up so he's safer.
After this experience I will be watching like a hawk and staying very close when he is off leash.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Quote:
Being his usual friendly self he went up to play with a boxer...

not is all what it seem sometimes. Not commenting on the particular incident without seeing it but many times the problem is not the dog that reacts but the dog that is actual being rude and when it comes to proper doggie etiquite many of our hound are rude or just plain clueless

and I will say this no one save joey from the boxer if the boxer meant Joey harm it would have happened The fact that he was unharmed lend more credibility to the boxer responding appropriately,.

He Just Wants To Say "Hi!"
Aggression or appropriate response to rudeness? Far too many dogs suffer because handlers & trainers don't know the difference between the two.

Dog Park Etiquette: Rules to Help Dogs Get Along | Animal Behavior and Medicine Blog | Dr. Sophia Yin, DVM, MS

Dog conversations: is your dog rude? | Reggie's House- a dog blog
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Couldn't agree more, CatherineM. Without fail, if the person says, "oh, they're friendly." They are so not!
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

It's hard for me to know what to do in this kind of situation. My first reaction is to protect Maddie, and I would not be nice about it either. Fortunately, she hasn't been jumped on by another dog, but we still worry it could happen.

Maddie took her brother down once when he tried to hump her. He's almost twice her size, so it was pretty impressive. She didn't hurt him, but she did somehow manage to flip him onto his back and then hold him by the throat for a few seconds to get her point across. No one was hurt, and he didn't cry or anything; he just looked shell shocked. He didn't try to hump her again either.

It was scary to see our sweet Maddie turn like that, in an instant. I'm wondering if the owner of the boxer had never seen him show that kind of behavior? It sounds like she was in shock, and didn't know what to do, so she left, too upset to apologize or anything.

Maddie wasn't attacking, though, with intent to harm; she was correcting her brothers rude behavior. She did snap at a pitbull once at the dog park, nipping him in the face when he tried to stand over her. She seemed to feel threatened by the pit, and I have to admit I felt he was threatening her too, but he backed off immediately when she snapped. We left the park right away, after seeing there was no harm to the pit, except for the owners being very pissed. I have to say I don't blame them.

I'm just glad there was no harm done, except for a good scare.

-San.

Last edited by -SAN.; 08-13-2013 at 05:38 AM.
-SAN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hum. What is is about Boxers and Bassets This puts me back to one time we were walking past one of the few houses in the small hamlet we lived in at the time. There was a white Boxer living there, a nastier piece of work you'd be hard-put to find......and same goes for his owner!! Anyhow we were almost past, with our small pack when the wretched dog burst through the fencing (yes, he went right through) and grabbed Gawaine by the throat. He didn't see it coming (and in truth, neither did we). Why he picked on Gawaine (who wasn't the only male with us) I don't know, but Gawaine's eyes were bulging. I was screaming - the owner who must have been out there, and heard, came running and got his dog off. Words were exchanged but I was more interested in getting them all back home so I could check Gawaine over. I could find no blood, in fact no puncture wounds at all but he must have had him by the jugular. We left the guy shouting if you report this, 'I'll kill you'.

We did after that!!! The police logged the incident - and turns out he was known to them.

His wife later came down to see how we/our hound was and apologised profusely, saying both him, and the dog, needed castrating.

It's terrifying when things like this happen and I know I shook for hours afterwards, never mind Gawaine.

All I can say is Joey might be a bit more cautious about who he barrels up to in future, which to be honest, may be no bad thing. We had one, our second, who'd run across the park to see another dog when he was only young and I always felt he'd pick the wrong one one of those days.... and actually stopped him doing this for that very reason (provided I was one step ahead always, which wasn't always the case - and he could move when he wanted to). Glad Joey wasn't badly hurt.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement