Bathing & General Basset Maintenance - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bathing & General Basset Maintenance

Hello! I recently adopted an adorable 1 1/2 yr old basset, Kai. I finally managed to clean his floppy ears with plenty of treats to distract him. Now, how do I get him in the tub for a full bath? He's not much of a fetcher so toys and treats in the tub aren't really cutting it. Advice, pls?
Kai'sMommaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

The no fail way for us is to pick them up and carry them into the tub. That way you get a workout in at the same time.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

IF you have a walk in shower install A hand held shower head nothing wrong with bathing out doors using a hose as well if you are not physically cabable of lifting the dog.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Molly jumps into the tub on her own, but wants to jump out pretty quickly too. I have my son give her frequent treats while I wash her. We've been able to keep her in long enough to get her clean and rinsed off. I also close the bathroom door so if she does get out of the tub she doesn't get very far away.
Wioleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have to pick my hound up and put her the bath tub. I installed one of those dog shower hoses that hooks up to the shower head, which makes bath time super fast. I don't bathe outside anymore, she finds the dirt the second we are done
Old 09-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bassets tend to be stubborn so rule of thumb in our house, you're the boss. I wouldn't recommend picking him up and putting him in the bath, since eventually you would like them to simply get in the tub when asked to. It took a few baths before Ramsay would get in the tub on his own but now he does and by back thanks me!

plus I always reward him with a massage when he's full of suds. Just be calm assertive and make the experience pleasurable and relaxing and your pup will love bath time.
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscolaylamommy View Post
The no fail way for us is to pick them up and carry them into the tub. That way you get a workout in at the same time.
us too. we don't have a walk-in shower, only a bathtub. pick him up and he goes in. he actually likes warm-hot water and will sit for that like he kinda enjoys it. i do close the door too so he can't get far if he tries to crawl out.

i do get quite a workout carrying Worm-- a forty pounder. I remember when it hurt my back to lift him when i first got him and he was 22 lbs. lol.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

I bath our Bassets in our bathroom. Just pick them up, put them in the bath, wet them with lukewarm water and once you start lathering and rubbing, they just love it. Drying them is a bit of a challenge.
denobrega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Our tub's sides are waaaay too high to have Olive get in by herself. I just pick her up. Bathroom door stays shut so she can't bolt when I get her out. If you do pick your pup up, make sure you're lifting properly so you don't hurt your back!

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App

The Slave...err, Mama of
Olive Oyl/Olive Ball/Olive Noodle/Punkin/Diddle/Whinyface

Olive a Martini - Shaken, Not Stirred
OliveOyl1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

I use to bathe my two bassets in our tub.. Until I found my self pouring Drano constantly due to massive amounts of hair in the tub.. I finally got them a hand held shower and thank goodness we have a walk in shower.. I use to pick them up and put them in the tub.. Which Hurt my back constantly.. It's hard to pick them up properly when they are squirming in your arms bc they don't want a bath.. But when they feel the water. They calm down eventually. I recommend a hand held shower.. It works fantastic!! Now only if I can get a stool to prevent me from squatting while bathing them...

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Lemontart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement