The Politics of Pet Dogs and Kennel Crates - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

I just don't have the temperament to crate. I wish I could.

Sent by owl post.
CatherineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

Crate can be an awesome training tool and are by far the safest way to travel with them.

Doing as much competition as we do with them (conformation, field trials, agility an d some times obedience and rally) crate training is a necessity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebjBo_spqG0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8HNO79bZMY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRs5cWOWfiM

Crate Games, it is not just for breakfast anymore. | Susan Garrett's Dog Training Blog

https://www.clickerdogs.com/crate_games.php
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #13 (permalink)

Ears absolutely loves her crate, but it does amaze me how much flack I have taken from people since getting her that we put her in the crate at night instead of letting her sleep in the bed with us and letting her run all over the house when we are gone. Heck I am thankful we did Crate train her from day one cause yesterday when she had her reaction to her shots and I needed a safe secure place for her to be so I could monitor her she was cool with napping in the crate all day and waiting for her medications to wear off. If done right I do not see the issue with Crates and really do not understand why those of us that choose to use them receive so much flack for it.
Earsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Hey everyone, new here. I have crated and not crated. I have found that crated means that there is less damage to the dog and to your belongings. My ex didn't crate one lab...and I insisted on crating the second lab. Because the first lab decided that she wanted to chew everything up in site...we just got a basset hound about a month ago. After the first night of her whining in the crate, we haven't heard a peep from her...we can even come downstairs for a drink of water, and she won't do anything. However by 6:00 am she is done and ready to get out. The only night I ever had to stay with her is when she had surgery done to her eyes (she had cherry eyes) and she was spayed...evidently she doesn't respond well to anesthesia. Because she is a hound, I don't want her getting hurt, I choose to crate.

Also, something that many haven't thought of...if God forbid my house were to catch on fire, I KNOW where my dog is, I can find her and get to her and get her out...if she's out free, that's one more thing I have to find (she'd probably be hiding under a bed).
laticialm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laticialm View Post

Also, something that many haven't thought of...if God forbid my house were to catch on fire, I KNOW where my dog is, I can find her and get to her and get her out...if she's out free, that's one more thing I have to find (she'd probably be hiding under a bed).

I have a notice, from Ebay, alongside my front door alerting the Services to the fact there are hounds inside the house. It's a pic. of a Basset saying 'I live here'. I think it's worth having, in the event of fire (or other disaster).

Last edited by FranksMum; 05-31-2018 at 02:52 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement