Hunt TEST 6/14/19 -6/16/19 RHODE island - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T
Default Hunt TEST 6/14/19 -6/16/19 RHODE island

DRAWING OF CASTS ~ 7:30 AM IN FIELD 8:00 am Spectators welcome and encouraged. Come see Basser doing what they were bred to do.

Little Rhody Beagle Club
821 Cowesett Rd, Warwick, RI 02886

-url=https://www.google.com/maps/place/Little+Rhody+Beagle+Club+Inc/@41.689917,-71.485713,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xd7f2668d7e6f6274!8m2!3d41.68 9917!4d-71.485713] Google Maps[/url]

Below I have printed out some I hope helpful information for new people entered in the Hunting Performance Test this weekend and encourage anyone that would like to see our breed do what they were bred to do. Spectators can arrive and leave anytime as dog go out approximately every ½ hour.

The draw for order of runs is at 7:30 AM (CONFIRMED) SO WE CAN TRY TO BE IN THE FIELD BY 8:00) All dogs must be on the grounds for the draw. Bill does the draw usually with a program on his computer instead of the bingo balls. The order is called out for solo’s 1st then braces and finally the packs. We sometimes juggle the order by agreement of the parties involved to make the day run smoother. IE if someone with more than 1 dog to run gets drawn back to back we juggle so they have a break in-between & judges also run dogs so we juggle so they are at a convenient time to make a judge swap. We also if possible at least with solos try and run 2 at a time using different fields or parts of the field.

When it is your turn you are expected to be ready to run within reason. All you need is a flat buckle collar and I recommend a bell. The bell helps you keep track of your dog without calling them in to you unless they are getting too far ahead. The judge will ask you if you are ready as you have the right to hunt where you like within reason (we try not to drag the judges all over to start). You release your dog and allow them to search you can talk to them all you want but remember they have the nose let them work. I usually either encourage them to hunt but also sometimes try to get them to settle and hunt reasonably close to me. I like mine about 2 rows in either direction at the most. The biggest mistake most handlers do is move too fast encourage them to really search an area. Most rabbits sit tight in hopes the dog and people pass by. For the 1st 10 minutes only the handler is allowed to beat brush as the judges want to see the dogs searching ability. After 10 minutes you can ask for help from the gallery the judges will tell you when that is. We do not always have much of a gallery but whoever is there can now help. I find spotters are sometimes more help than beaters. Meaning people ahead of you and your dog and to the side that can tally a rabbit if seen. Once on a rabbit they must give voice and be shot over to make sure they continue to hunt. A shot does not mean they passed but we have encouraged judges to fire as soon as they feel the dog is working and giving voice and get it over with then they can put the gun away and judge the other functions like line control and determination and adaptability. If at some point before the 30 minutes is up & both judges agree the dog passed we encourage them to let the handler know so we can save time and move on. You have the right to your 1/2 hour but we usually move on. We usually set up a few tents in the field with a few chairs and water as a place to wait for your turn. The nice part of this sport is it is not one dog against another so being happy and helping someone else does not take away from your own. We have 21 stakes so that is 10 1/2 hour of potential judging so moving along is important. The number of rabbits will greatly affect the outcome of the weekend mostly for time because we have many dogs very capable of passing but if it takes a long time to find a rabbit even the ones that do this all the time will take up more of their 1/2 hour. I hope this explanation and hints help. Good luck to all the entrants and Tally Ho.

Nancy Richmond
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2019, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

The weather for June seems to be co-operating. Some rain on Thursday for arriving and set up but clearing after 7 PM. Friday 61 @ 6 AM with a high of 72 and partly sunny. Sat 58 @ 6 AM with a high of 77 and partly sunny. Sunday 65 @ 6 AM with a high of 76 and mostly cloudy. I don't see rain till 11 PM on Sunday. All in all a little warm but should be doable. There are rabbits but no one is saying how many. All 3 fields are still available but we will probably only use 2. Mike has not set a rule yet but we may ask that training be kept to a minimum on Thursday night. limiting the number of dogs out at a time and maybe asking those with dogs that they know run give the people with dogs that are not entered or are new to this to get a chance to see what their dogs will do. Please remember we actually don't pay rent on Thursday so beagle members have use if they want it. The rule of thumb is no running before around 3 PM Thursday. There is no planned meal on Thursday night but we will have something to snack on.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I will not be cooking eggs for breakfast we will have a toaster with English muffins and toast with peanut butter, jelly and spreads and egg salad. Homemade granola, yogurt, and cereal Coffee and juice. I will put it out and it will be help yourself each morning for $5.00. Lunch will be put out and will be help yourself. Chicken salad. Potato salad, lunch meats and cheeses, assorted breads, tossed salad, fruit salad, Macaroni w/Tuna salad, Cole slaw, 3 bean salad, sweets & drinks for $7.00 I am not doing supper on Friday. We can direct you to some close restaurants for fish and chips and the like or people can call for delivery or pick up pizza or something lighter. Lunch and breakfast will be the same each day. I am going to do something for supper on Saturday night Probably pulled beef and baked beans and maybe some ham. Nothing fancy but something so no one has to go out. I'm guessing $8.00 for supper. So $12.00 for meals on Friday and Sunday for 2 meals and $20.00 on Sat for 3 meals. I don't think anyone will go hungry. We will have water and drinks available all day and night please stay hydrated. We are planning on a small wading pool to wet dogs down. The club house has a shower but no couches or the like so bring your air mattresses. We should have a fun group staying overnight and maybe we can play some board games and chat to relax at night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement