rash under arm pit - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 12:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rash under arm pit

Lucy has a red rash that is starting under her two front "arm pits". She does not seem to be bothered but it is red and the hair in that area seems to be gone. Is it just a case of chafe that some gold bond powder will cure? Thanks
Lucy Loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Twinkie's Mum

Default Re: rash under arm pit

I'd go with the gold bond powder first. Twinkie has very little hair under her "arms" there and I found that a couple weeks ago when we were on vacation and I had her in her harness almost constantly, she was getting a little irritated under there. I'd try that first before calling the vet.
Old 06-14-2005, 07:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Ours have had the same problem. We've used A&D ointment on occasion as well. It works on baby rashes and seems to work on the fur babies too.
jacar2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2005, 11:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

my vet told me that clyde could have allergies to the grass. it seems to get worse in the summer time. they gave me a spray to put on him. it seems to work pretty good the rash is not as red. the name of the spray is gentamicin topical spray. i hope this will be helpful to you
LuvMyBassett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 11:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maizy has a recurrent rash as well. We tried the gold bond, which works if it isn't too bad. Bag Balm works the best, though. If you wash it first, try drying with the cool setting of the hair dryer before applying the stuff. It helps.
Maymoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Anonymous

Just had Bubba at the vet on June 30th with the same problem. He does this every year when it gets hot, and Gold Bond Powder always took care of it, without vet visits. But this year it looked a little different and started going down the insides of his front legs as well, and he was licking on the inside of his front paw as well. The vet took a swab, and he was starting a yeast infection. She put him on Acidophilus, which you can get at a pharmacy or health food store, which helps with yeast infections, same stuff is in live culture yogurt, in capsule form. Also gave us prescription wipes "Aalaseb Pledget Wipes" that we blot the areas with twice a day. He is already so much better.
Just watch and be sure you aren't developing a yeast infection.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bagby039

I just posted something last night about what to use for this. It is listerine and babyoil. Mix it equal parts. the listerine kills the fungus/yeast infection and the babyoil helps the listerine adhere to the skin and also sooths the skin while it works. I recently did this with a foster hound and it worked great over night. It might burn a little especially the first time but it kills what ails them arm pitts well. It isnt harmful and is pocket book friendly.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagby039 View Post
I just posted something last night about what to use for this. It is listerine and babyoil. Mix it equal parts. the listerine kills the fungus/yeast infection and the babyoil helps the listerine adhere to the skin and also sooths the skin while it works. I recently did this with a foster hound and it worked great over night. It might burn a little especially the first time but it kills what ails them arm pitts well. It isnt harmful and is pocket book friendly.
Thank you so much for the Listerine advice. I mix equal parts of coconut oil and Listerine (the blue one) and apply it once a day to Fred. His rash has cleared up and his constant scratching is over.
Triciahughes2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

How easily does the coconut oil mix with the Listerine? Do you have to warm it?
Eowyn - FC Soundtrack Rain Dance MHH OAJ NAP
Faith - Soundtrack Gotta Have Faith HH
Pumpkin - FC Soundtrack Smashing Pumpkins SHH
Hope - Soundtrack Pandora's Box HH
Harriet - Soundtrack Black Magic Woman
Patch - Ch Soundtrack Superstitious Feeling
Junior - Soundtrack Sorcerer's Apprentice
Simon - Soundtrack I Put A Spell On You
Soundtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

I put the coconut oil in the microwave for about 15 seconds then pour in the Listerine and mix it with a fork it mixes fairly easy. I put the leftover oil mixture in a glass jar and keep it someplace warm so it doesn’t solidify.

I even used the mixture on my husband's athlete's foot and it cleared up within a few days.
Triciahughes2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement