Basset dragging back legs - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Basset dragging back legs

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation....I have a male basset, almost 7 years old, weighs about 60lbs. About 10 days ago he started to experience some pain in his lower back (toward his tail). He was fine in the morning and then at lunchtime he started to act like he was in pain....his tail between his legs, trouble getting up and down the stairs, not playful, etc. So we took him to the vet that afternoon (we thought he had eaten another rock like he's done 3x before) but the x-ray showed nothing. The dr. then felt his back and he yellped in pain so the dr. felt like it was an injury to his back (pulled muscle, disc issue, etc.) So he gave him a cortisone shot and put him on a non-steroid anti-inflammatory. He was great the next day and a half, but then he was back to where he started. So I called the dr. again, he prescribed a different anti-inflammatory plus a muscle relaxer for the pain. All last week he was on this medicine and did not seem to get any better, but not any worse either. Then Friday his back legs were very wobbly to the point where he was having trouble standing up and we would have to pick him up to take him outside. Then Saturday evening it got worse and by Sunday he couldn't stand on his hind legs. He pretty much dragged himself around. So I took him in first think yesterday morning and the dr. has him on a high dose cortisone drip for 48 hours. He is pretty confident this will work. He does not seem to be in any pain and he does respond to me tickling his pads so I know he has some feeling in his legs. All along, he still has had a healthy appetite, but I've had to bring his food and water to him because he just can't get up to get to his food. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone? My husband and I are just a little puzzled because it seems to have come on so fast. Any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated.
Thanks again.
Ashley
johnbootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Basset dragging back legs

I'm sorry to hear of your trouble. I don't have any experience with this, hopefully someone else will share some info and links. From reading your post, I'm sure the first round of meds made him not feel the pain, and therefore he was more like his old self, until they wore off. It's great that you're working close with your vet to get this treated. Is it possible that he suffered an injury? Where we live, it's been so cold with all the snow and ice, that if one of mine started to have these troubles, I would suspect a back injury caused by a fall or something. Best of luck, hope your hound buddy is better soon!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Poor pup and you all.

All I know is it's really good he's in the vet. I can't give any kind of details because I don't know that much about it, but I do know bassets can get into trouble very quickly and get all kinds of odd things going on just because of how they're built - the long back, etc.

So It's impt he's at the vets and it's going to be impt he be as immobile as possible until everything clears up.

Good luck!
biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2004, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Welcome, Ashley, I'm sorry to hear about your basset. One of my bassets, Amber, experienced similar problems. She was fine when my husband left the house to run an errand, and less than an hour later, when he returned, she couldn't use her rear legs.

Back injuries in bassets can have serious consequences like paralysis and incontinence, because of the composition of their disc material and the type of degenerative changes seen. In bassets, and some other breeds, when there's an injury, it tends to present acutely and dramatically.

Depending on the severity of the injury, treatment recommendations may include surgery or more conservative treatment including steroids and rest. During treatment, it's best to restrict the basset's activity to prevent re-injury.

If there's no improvement, other types of testing may be indicated, to rule out other causes for these symptoms.

Here are some links to information on Intervertebral Disc Disease in dogs.

Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease (Patricia J. Luttgen, DVM, MS, prepared for the Dachshund Club of America, Inc.)

Intervertebral Disk Disease, Canine (Vetcentric.com)

Intervertebral Disk Disease (Long Beach Animal Hospital)

CH Bugle Bay's AllUCanEat Buffet CDX RN TDX NA CGC BHCA-VCX, 1996-2008
"Bugsie" UDX NA NAJ CGC, 1991-2006
Betsy Iole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 12:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks to all for your thoughts and advice. I'm happy to say Henry is finally home after 4 days at the Dr.'s. The diagnosis is a ruptured disc and he is on strict bed rest for 3 weeks. Physically, he really doesn't look any better to me, but from a neurological standpoint the Dr. said he is doing much better. He said to expect a very slow recovery. For about three weeks he needs his back legs supported by a sling or harness. Right now, we're using a towel wrapped under his tummy to kind of carry him when whe take him out to use the bathroom. Does anyone know of any products on the market for this specific purpose? I came across one called "Bottoms Up Dog Leash." Anyone every head of this?
Thanks again for all your help.
-Ashley
Old 02-13-2004, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry to read about your boy Henry. My Toby had back problems at age 11 and although no completely paralyzed he dragged his back legs and fell over walking. Treatment was a steroid and 1 month crate rest.

Here's a website with various assistive products. HandicappedPets.com I'd check with my vet prior to ordering something to see what might be the best for Henry.

Sending healing thoughts to Henry. Keep us posted on how he's doing.

[ February 14, 2004, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Barbara Winters ]
Barbara Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Erwin's Mommy

Johnbootie,
If it is indeed a RUPTURED disc,it is unlikely that rest will cure the problem.There are many words used to describe the pathology of disc problems.The real crux of the matter is whether the disc is just bulging(a bulging or herniated disc),or it is truly ruptured(fragmnted).A standard xray won't tell you this.It takes an MRI or myelogram to truly diagnose the state of the disc(it is soft tissue and standard xrays don't show the disc).

The bulging or ruptured disc presses against large nerves that come off the spinal cord(or on the spinal cord itself).The pressure can cause permanent damage and/or paralysis.Many bulging discs can heal,but ruptured discs cannot.So,you need to be sure the diagnosis is correct.If it's ruptured,the basset most likely needs disc surgery.We had a 5 year old male that had surgery for this.I've had it myself.I even got to scrub in on Erwin's surgery(I'm a health professional,so the surgeon at U of Tenneessee vet school didn't mind).Erwin had a pretty complete recovery,though it took a good 6 weeks after surgery before he walked again.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2004, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Erwin's Mommy

sorry,double post

[ February 19, 2004, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Erwin's Mommy ]
Old 02-18-2004, 02:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Eriwn's mommy. He really has not shown any improvement, he's pretty much remained the same so I made an appointment with the Dr. first thing tomorrow morning. Do you have any suggestions on what kind of questions I should be asking? Thanks again.
-Ashley
Old 02-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Erwin's Mommy

Yes,I'd want to know if any test had been done to truly see if the disc is ruptured(MRI or myelogram).If not,the diagnosis is based on clinical signs(symptoms),which,as far as I know,cannot diagnose the difference between a herniation and a ruptured disc.Time is of the essence because pressure on nerve roots or the spinal cord can cause more damage the longer it remains..Do you have a vet school nearby for a referral?

A second opinion may be in order.One commonly done test is to pinch a toe on a rear foot Really,REALLY hard.If there is no response to pain,it's not a good sign.Any flinch,however,is good news and disc surgery would have a good chance of success for a ruptured disc.And I reiterate,a fragmented disc cannot heal itself "back into one piece).

[ February 21, 2004, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: Erwin's Mommy ]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement