Basset dragging back legs - Page 2 - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Josie's "potential disc" injury

Josie, my 10 year old Basset Hound, woke up about 1 week ago yelping and in a lot of pain. I had NO IDEA what was going on. I took her to my vet, and in looking her over, we found her to have a lot of pain around her neck. He mentioned a potential disc injury and we decided to treat her with 2 pain killers (one with an anti-inflammatory). She had about 4 days left of the anti-inflam./pain med and had finished the other paid med. and within the past 24 hours has gone down hill rapidly. Today she has hardly been able to stand on her own and can't walk much at all. I took her back to the vet and he mentioned two options at this point. Try prednisone, or referral to a neurologist/neurosurgeon. I chose the steroid option first. I am trying that and I am PRAYING it works. I am terrified at the thought of needing to go to the neurologist and not being able to afford the recommended treatment. I also can't imagine putting her through that kind of surgery at her age. I have been praying through all of the tears. She is so pitiful. I'm having to carry her outside to try to use the bathroom. She reminds me of Bambi on ice and it is so sad.
Josies mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
vb3

I hope Josie feels better soon. Hopefully the prednisone works. Paws and fingers crossed here!
vb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

Good luck. My beloved Stomps had that happen to him a little over a year ago. He suddenly lost all control of his hind end. After intensive care at the vet's and even a session in a hyperbaric chamber (he had a seizure in it), he was getting absolutely no better. He was about 13 at the time, and MISERABLE. I couldn't put him through any more and had him euthanized. My vet only did x-rays, and could see nothing wrong with his spine. I wish I'd known about the MRI back then; it wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it might have made it easier for me to make the final decision (and less guilty afterwards). I'm hoping for the best for Josie. And to you--it's so hard to watch a dog that can't walk.
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

Roscoe hurt his back due to stairs and jumping off the couch. He injured it this past Christmas eve. The injury sounds similar. All I know is, patient and bed rest is the best cure. I made a makeshift brace for Roscoe that I am willing to mail to you if you like. It wraps around his hind legs so that you can help your Basset to go outside to use the restroom. This past Wednesday, Roscoe no longer uses the brace and is walking on his own. Not yet 100% but he's getting there. 4and 1/2 months of rehab has helped.
5bassetbakery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thanks so much for the responses. I am soooo sorry to hear about Stomps. I have been torn apart this week. It's such an emotional time. My vet is telling me I need to give the prednisone a chance before I get too upset about any alternatives. I haven't had an xray or MRI. It seems like it would be a disc problem and I know I would have to have an MRI to determine that. If the prednisone doesn't work, I just don't know if at her age, I could put her through surgeries, etc. and financially I don't know that it would even be an option. I hope it doesn't come to that decision. Things aren't improving at this point but I am holding out hope and saying many prayers.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thank you so much for that info. I have tried coming up with something myself to help support Josie (for bathroom purposes). I haven't had anything yet that works. I tried a sheet. She doesn't appear to have much use of her front legs at this point either. It's actually hard for her to even stand at all. I try to help support her just to stand up and use the bathroom. Was is just Roscoe's hind legs or was he having problems on all 4 like Josie? I really appreciate the offer on the "sling" you made. If you think it could work with her not having much use of any legs, I could certainly give it a try. This forum sure has helped me with hearing similar stories and the support. I'm thankful I found it!
Old 04-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

That brings up a good point--one of the reasons I had to give up on helping Stomps was because the vet said his front legs had a significant amount of arthritic changes. And the vet didn't think surgery would help him. Stomps was always wanting to patrol the perimeter, and he wouldn't have been content to just hang out in the house. So it's good to have a look at the dog's front end and keep his temperament in mind when making a decision about what to do.

P.S. I tried to edit my previous response to include well wishes for the original poster as well, but they didn't take.
Lightning&Stomps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement