Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums

Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums (http://www.basset.net/boards/index.php)
-   Basset Hound Health and Genetics (http://www.basset.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   New Puppy itchy skin (http://www.basset.net/boards/showthread.php?t=54715)

BlessedBeyondMsr 07-30-2019 03:18 PM

New Puppy itchy skin

Our new 12 wk old basset puppy has developed very itchy skin. Initially I thought maybe he had a flea but after we treated him with the flea medicine he continued to itch which I chalked up to a possible skin irritation from said flea (if he ever had one, I never found one on him) I have been using a veterinarian prescribed comfort spray that our previous dog had, on his pink irritated tummy, however, he itches everywhere, gnawing on his skin in various places. This puppy was raised in a gravel based kennel, so this would be his first long term exposure to grass and I am hopeful this isnít a grass allergy. I ordered some anti-itch oatmeal aloe Vera shampoo that got highly rated reviews and used that last night and it hasnít seemed to help at all. We see the vet next Monday, but as I am new to this breed, any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Mikey T 07-30-2019 04:51 PM

if it is an allergy(s) @ 12 week of age I would suspect this would be very tough
issue to deal with because allergies at that young of an age are pretty much unprecedented. They usual don't show up til about six months of age or later. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...oms-treatment/

other causes

scapotic mange https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions...rcoptic_mange?

yeast/bacterial infection https://www.marvistavet.com/yeast-in...f-the-skin.pml

chiggers (if in the south) https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-he...-you-need-know

BlessedBeyondMsr 07-31-2019 05:25 PM

Thank you for the links. I checked with his breeder and she says there are no allergies in her line. She showed me a picture of his litter-mates tummy and it looked fine and she said he lives in grass. She recommended rubbing cornstarch on him. She said she would check with a basset breeder friend of hers and get back to me.
He has a vet appt on Monday so we will certainly ask her about this itchy skin. Itís really bothering him and we feel bad for the little guy

Soundtrack 07-31-2019 10:36 PM

Did your puppy just have shots? I had one react to her second set of shots by becoming EXTREMELY itchy for a week or two.

BlessedBeyondMsr 08-01-2019 06:46 AM

He had his first set of shots almost 3 weeks ago and goes this Monday for his next set, but he is EXTREMELY itchy for sure. If he isn’t playing or sleeping he’s scratching and gnawing on himself. Cornstarch yesterday didn’t seem to help :(

FranksMum 08-01-2019 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlessedBeyondMsr (Post 432537)
Thank you for the links. I checked with his breeder and she says there are no allergies in her line. She showed me a picture of his litter-mates tummy and it looked fine and she said he lives in grass. She recommended rubbing cornstarch on him. She said she would check with a basset breeder friend of hers and get back to me.
He has a vet appt on Monday so we will certainly ask her about this itchy skin. Itís really bothering him and we feel bad for the little guy

I don't know how any breeder can say 'there are no allergies in her line'. I'd suggest this can be an individual thing. I guess what she's saying is the standard 'we've never had that'!!!:(

Although again (and it's true!!:p) we've never had a puppy react to vaccination like that but there's always a first time. Right now, my boy is chewing one of his front paws raw. To the point I had to cover it up overnight last night to keep him off it. Goodness knows what's causing this - he's on a fish and potato food and has never had a grass reaction before..... I suppose there's always a first time. Always something with this boy!!!

Mikey T 08-01-2019 10:51 AM

"I don't know how any breeder can say 'there are no allergies in her line'"

atopy (inhalent and contact allergies) are though to be highly genetic. not so much with food allergies but there is likely some genetics involved with that.

Soundtrack Line definitely has allergies atopy specifically in it. The last breed was a female with atopy specifically bred to a male and a line not know to carry atopy out of the litter only one has an issue., Which did not show up until after six months of age.

Allergies are the result of an over active immune system at 12-20 weeks a puppies immune system is not fully developed as such having it be over active is unusual at best and very rare. 6 month of age is the general consensuses for the earliest atopy to manifest itself in a dog. So itch skin in a dog this young the odd of it being an allergy are really remote except perhaps flea allergy. and then again not so much "FAD can develop at any age but most cases of FAD appear between age two and five in most dogs "

Mikey T 08-01-2019 10:56 AM

The Itchy Puppy

"Nearly every new puppy owner says that their puppy scratches a lot. In many cases it is nothing more than a puppy not yet differentiating between a minor itch that will go away of its own accord, or something more that needs a decent scratching! ALL puppies scratch behind their ‘arm-pits’ and the sides of their necks (especially if they have a new collar on!).

...SOME puppies, however, are significantly itchy. Their skin may be quite pink or red, and some may even have a rash or sores on their body. Some puppies may also have noticeable dandruff. Allergies usually don’t develop until at least 6 months of age, but it is worth noting that MANY excessively itchy puppies end up being dogs with allergic skin problems. Therefore it is certainly a good idea to start managing the problem as soon as possible, and reduce the likelihood of chronic skin allergies.

If your puppy is very itchy, it should be seen by a vet. If it has come from the country, there is a higher liklihood that it could have sarcoptes mite. If it has red spots, or crusty sores, scaly skin, balding areas of its coat, red or overly pink skin, moist raw areas, then treatment is advised. Often there is a bacterial infection present"

FranksMum 08-01-2019 12:29 PM

Before I write anything, I would say I'm currently waiting to pick up my Whippet who has been in the vet's all day for a dental and corn excise (two) and I'm dreading the BILL. So I'm not in the best of moods right now. My bottomless pit is rapidly emptying.

However..... I sometimes wonder why I bother to say ANYTHING on this website given I am clearly always wrong in the eyes of the main and rapidly becoming only contributor on here.

I have never had any indication that allergies are basically hereditary and I've used quite a few out-cross studs over the years because there were almost no lines going back to my foundation stock, outside the UK.

If this breeder is experienced and a good one, I seriously doubt that puppy would have come out of there carrying mange/mites.

I hope your vet can identify what's going on (via a skin scrape) and treat.

BlessedBeyondMsr 08-02-2019 06:33 PM

Thank you all for the input. This puppies skin is extremely itchy all over with the exception of his neck and ears. I moved his vet appt up to tomorrow so he doesn't have to suffer with this itching all weekend.

@Soundtrack: After I read your post and you mentioned puppy vaccinations I went back and looked at the timeline on when this itching started and low and behold, it actually was the day after his vaccinations. It didn't remind me of an allergic reaction to shots, as I have seen in the past with the face itching or muzzle swelling, so it truly never crossed my mind that this could be a reaction to the shots. I really just thought he had a flea based on what I have seen in our dogs in the past when they have a flea, ie; gnawing at their skin etc. So I just thought the sooner he can take the flea pill the better. When the itching continued after the flea pill should have taken effect, I chalked it up to flea bite irritation, kind of like the itching a mosquito would cause and thought a bath would help. Anyhow, the itching has persisted inspite of every thing we have tried and the intensity is the same.

Could you please tell me about your experience with you puppy that had this reaction to their puppy vaccinations and how long did it last? What did you do to treat it?

This puppy was not itching when we brought him home and it does seem that the itching started the day after the vaccinations. He also got stung by a yellow jacket the day after his shots as well, but the itching started prior to that encounter (Hoover put his nose down a hole in the yard that apparently was a yellow jacket nest! Thankfully just one bee got on his ear) This itching does seem more systemic. No lesions, crusty area just kind itchy of all over.

I will be relieve to talk to our vet tomorrow and get this little boy some relief. Feel so bad for him :(