Uap - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2019, 12:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Uap

Hey everyone. I’m posting on here to hopefully reach out to a network of knowledgeable Basset owners. Oakley is our 5 month old Basset Hound puppy. I noticed from a very young age that Oakley was very sedintary he did not move very much, he enjoys sun bathing and he would often limp after sleeping. I was concerned and took him to the vet they recommended x rays. The results from his x rays were UAP and we were advised to fix this condition surgically? I was wondering if anyone on here has done the surgery for there Basset? If so did it in fact improve quality of life for your Basset? We are worried that the surgery might cause further issues for our baby in the future? I was also wondering if anyone had a vet or surgeon that they recommonded for the Gaston County Area in N.C.? We are extremely worried about Oakley and just want to ensure that we are making the best decision for his health and happiness?
WylieBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2019, 08:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Surgery or not!

Forgive me but even after all these years 'with Basset', I don't know what UAP means. What I would say is that at this age, the growth plates have probably not closed, so no surgery should be considered yet, imo. Whatever this condition is (hip displasia?) doing any corrective surgery too young would probably mean further surgery later on.

Have you been back to his breeder to discuss this situation, and taken her advice/opinion because provided he/she is experienced with the breed, this is where you should be looking. Have the x-rays ruled out Panosteitis which vets often go to re lameness at this age, although most are aware of this condition in the breed now.

If he wasn't running around as any normal puppy would be doing, at a young age, with any breed, then yes, I'd have been extremely concerned. I'd have included my vet + whoever bred this puppy.

My buy in boy, who we bought at 4 months as a show prospect, started intermittent lameness by around 8 months which too me to pano, but full front to back x-rays ruled that out, showing premature closure of the growth plates on both front legs, meaning the radius and ulna were growing at different rates, causing even more turn out (twist) than normal even for a Basset. We were told surgery was possible but at that age even, it would probably mean more than the one op, both sides so we opted not to have anything done. Actually I've seen worse fronts in the ring than he has!! But other things ruled out him being shown, not the least a bite that was shocking!!

If you can tell me what UAP is, I may be able to offer more thoughts!! Just keep your puppy quiet, for now. No jumping up, or off furniture, or stairs.

Add - https://www.fitzpatrickreferrals.co....l-process-uap/
I looked it up!! UK btw

Last edited by FranksMum; 07-13-2019 at 08:14 AM.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

UAP can close in bassets as late as 8 months old after that surgery is the only answer

https://www.ufaw.org.uk/dogs/basset-...lbow-dysplasia

UAP can only be diagnosed in dogs older than about five months as it is normal for those breeds in which UAP occurs to have an ununited anconeal process prior to this (Schwarz 2000).

UAP will be suspected by a veterinary surgeon when presented with a Basset hound showing forelimb pain. Elbow disease and pain may be apparent. Determining the type of elbow disease, its extent and the degree of secondary osteoarthritis requires further diagnostic procedures, including radiography (x-rays) (Burton & Owen 2008b) or other imaging methods. In cases of UAP it is more difficult to detect other concurrent forms of elbow disease (Meyer-Lindenberg et al 2006).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2711478/
" The ossification center at the anconeal process normally fuses by 5 months of age, and so the presence of a lucent line on radiographs confirms the diagnosis in dogs past this age. The exceptions are the St. Bernard and basset hound, in which the anconeal process may fuse as late as 7 to 8 mo (2). "

the most common cause of limping in a basset of this age is paneosteitis especial in a male. from link "A GREAT MANY VETS ARE UNAWARE OF THIS DISEASE IN THE
BASSET .
In diagnosing the cause of a Bassetís lameness, a radiograph of the forelimbs may indicate a condition called elbow incongruity.
(Elbow incongruity is a poor fit between the 3 bones which comprise the
elbow joint.) Studies to date indicate that elbow incongruity is normal in the Basset and is not the cause of the lameness. It is also
suspected that many of the previously mentioned unnecessary (panosteitis) surgeries have been performed on Basset pups just
because radiographs that were taken showed elbow incongruity."

So 5 month is too early to definitively diagnose UAP in Basset hounds, Need to wait till 8 month of age, If not fused by then the only alternative is surgery.
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 03:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

The use of initials for conditions confuses me - of course I know what this condition is, and means.

Whatever you, together with your vet, decide about the future re surgery for your puppy, now is too soon ......
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement