I would appreciate any advice - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2018, 06:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2
Default I would appreciate any advice

Hello,
My 10 to 12 year old girl became ill with vomiting and fever. When she wouldn't eat chicken I brought her in. They did a check up with blood work and there was nothing alarming. The next day she became ill again and I brought her back to the vet and they put her on iv, did a urine test and an ultrasound. The ultrasound report said there was thickening of her small intestine. There is a possibility it is something small like IBS or other gastro problem or it could be a type of cancer.

The decision I'm struggling with is the vet recommended doing an exploratory surgery of her abdomen just to make a diagnosis. This would mean a pretty major surgery just to find out what is happening with her small intestine. I got her back last night and she has been sleeping this whole time. She hasn't eaten still but has drank a little water. Obviously this has been excruciating.

I'm struggling with making the decision to put her through this surgery just to diagnose the problem. The vet said she believes she would handle the surgery ok but I have my doubts because she is so lethargic right now. I'm seeing another vet at a different hospital that does these types of surgeries today for a consultation. I'm really struggling with this one because if I did decide to put her though it just to find out its some type of cancer, I don't know if I would be willing to put a (possibly) 12 year old through that. Hope this makes sense. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Swza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-03-2018, 09:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kincardine, Ontario
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swza View Post
Hello,

My 10 to 12 year old girl became ill with vomiting and fever. When she wouldn't eat chicken I brought her in. They did a check up with blood work and there was nothing alarming. The next day she became ill again and I brought her back to the vet and they put her on iv, did a urine test and an ultrasound. The ultrasound report said there was thickening of her small intestine. There is a possibility it is something small like IBS or other gastro problem or it could be a type of cancer.



The decision I'm struggling with is the vet recommended doing an exploratory surgery of her abdomen just to make a diagnosis. This would mean a pretty major surgery just to find out what is happening with her small intestine. I got her back last night and she has been sleeping this whole time. She hasn't eaten still but has drank a little water. Obviously this has been excruciating.



I'm struggling with making the decision to put her through this surgery just to diagnose the problem. The vet said she believes she would handle the surgery ok but I have my doubts because she is so lethargic right now. I'm seeing another vet at a different hospital that does these types of surgeries today for a consultation. I'm really struggling with this one because if I did decide to put her though it just to find out its some type of cancer, I don't know if I would be willing to put a (possibly) 12 year old through that. Hope this makes sense. Any feedback would be appreciated.


I went through an ordeal similar to yours. Mine passed away in August while we were waiting on blood tests. Autopsy revealed internal hemorrhaging, likely from one of the intestinal tumours they also discovered.

I too didnít want her to suffer.

I regret not having the knowledge at the time to pre-empt the ordeal and put her to sleep. I struggle with whether she suffered. At least she passed away at home with me at her side.

If her condition worsens in any way, donít delay. Push for the vets to get the answers you need.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
FranksMum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: S.West UK
Posts: 2,464
Default

So sorry you are going through this. I did similar with my beloved Morgan (avatar) who 6 months before had not really wanted to eat up as normal. I struggled with her but at the end, she really deteriorated and rather than do any exploratory surgery, we gave her peace.



Before you do anything (did the bloods show anything?) I'd get a second opinion, if with a specialist, so much the better. I'm fairly sure Morgan had some form of cancer. That final evening/night she had blood diarrhoea. Next morning she was up on the sofa and I knelt before her, looking into her eyes which said 'help me'. She licked my nose and we took her to the vet where she was given peace.m She was 12 years, 7 months.



Although of course, it's totally for you to decide (and my thought would be so you find out what's going on .... what then?) personally I'd not put a bitch of that age through that kind of surgery/recovery.


I hope the specialist can give you the information you need to make this sad decision.
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-03-2019, 07:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 12
Default

My basset is 7.5. They found a mass on his small intestine as well but it was fully blocking everything. He couldnt even hold down water.

Ask for a CT scan. This can show much more than the ultrasound.

I opted for surgery and they successfully removed the mass. He is in recovery now but still hasnt eaten. I hope he makes it, but the doctor assured me if the surgery was succesful and he healed, he could get back to normal.
Biscuitbasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2 ©2009, Crawlability, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum