Now Cardiomyopathy.... - Basset Hounds: Basset Hound Dog Forums
Basset.net is the premier Basset Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Now Cardiomyopathy....

Trudy our latest rescue, and agility girl, about 4yrs, began to slow down this summer. At first I thought it was the heat/humidity, but it just didn't seem right.

The vet checked her over said heart and lungs sounded fine and thought it was probably nothing but the weather, but found a cracked premolar. Bloodwork was fine so we were going in for a dental.

I asked them to do a chest x-ray just because I felt there was something not right......and I was. She has an enlarged heart and some light clouding in the lungs. We are sick about it. Will have another x-ray next week and echo/ultrasound.....follow-up with cardiologist in another 2 weeks...their first available appt. She is on antibiotics for the tooth and to help ward off any beginning infection in the lungs...they hope that will clear the lungs some...we hope to know more next week.

Moral to the story.....if you think something is not right stick with it....you know your dog. If she had the dental surgery, she may never have made it through......Hug your hound today.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyEster View Post

Moral to the story.....if you think something is not right stick with it....you know your dog. If she had the dental surgery, she may never have made it through......Hug your hound today.

How very true!! I can remember after a terrible C.Section incident and moving to another vet, my husband telling the prospective new vet that his wife (me) may not know what's wrong, but she can count on me knowing 'something' isn't right if we bring one of our hounds to her for treatment. Never a truer word. NEVER take no (nothing's wrong) for an answer. And then there was the time, with the new vet, that one went off his back legs. She felt euth. was the only option (spondylitis - pain) but I said no, he's not ready for that yet. After the pain was sorted out, I was right!! He lived from 8 to his 15th year comparatively pain-free.

So sorry to hear your latest. My lad apparently has a mild heart murmur amongst all the other things he has. He's a disaster walking but at least he is still walking even if now on Metacam indefinitely!
FranksMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 06:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

have you seen the new links of DCM to low taurine levels in dog. Might want to get it tested. Condition is reversible if related to taurine. Also submit results to FDA https://www.morrisanimalfoundation.o...t-disease-dogs

https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary.../ucm613305.htm
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2018, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Mikey....I am ahead of you, have her on the supplements NOW. May not help, but can't hurt. Also feeding foods high in taurine with her food. I did wonder about past damage that may have been done. She had pups at the rescue, and I think she was pretty young and was underweight....and they fed a grain freed boutique food. So if the taurine was not adequate with the added burden of pups it could have been bad for her.

Sister also pointed out that our vets are NOT cardiologists, and as basset anatomy is not the norm, the cardiologists are best to actually diagnose what is wrong. So I will wait and hope.
PollyEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Mikey T

if dietary relates supplementation is a cure. not just palliative
Mikey T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement